The Better India Profile picture
Jul 2, 2021 10 tweets 3 min read Read on X
I was both excited and embarrassed when my father, Dr K K Agarwal, visited my school. From the peon to the principal, everyone knew him and the contributions he had made to India’s healthcare system. (1/10) Image
While growing up, any groundbreaking event in the medical world meant that 10-15 journalists were waiting outside our house for a byte. He was an eminent cardiologist who found ways to provide quality healthcare to everyone, especially the needy. (2/10) Image
As the Head of the Heart Care Foundation of India (HCFI) and former president of the Indian Medical Association, he did groundbreaking work such as streptokinase therapy for managing heart attacks & introducing the colour doppler echocardiography technology in the country. (3/10) Image
Very soon, my brother and I realised that we weren’t his only family. He formed a bond with everyone he met — from patients to colleagues, government officials and healthcare experts. He was made for something larger. (4/10) Image
He came from a humble background with no privileges, but made sure his children got everything they wanted by making strides in his profession with sheer merit and intelligence. (5/10) Image
When the coronavirus pandemic hit India, he decided to use the internet to spread the right information to mitigate fear and panic among the people. Even though he was so well-known, not once did he force us to follow in his footsteps. He gave us a choice. (6/10) Image
It was because of him that I decided to join the media industry, because I saw how the media used his words to spread awareness. 
Our family hardly went on vacations because of his busy schedule, but he spent time with us to teach us the importance of passion & hard work. (7/10)
I really admired his thirst for knowledge and his child-like curiosity to keep learning. I have imbibed the same qualities. 

When he passed away due to COVID-19, the entire country mourned his death and celebrated his work. (8/10)
Thousands came forward to express how my father had touched their lives. 

The last thing he said to us while he was in the ICU was that we should carry forward his work by providing healthcare through his NGO, HCFI. (9/10)
My father, a Padma Shri awardee, was a symbol of hope, and we will strive each day to live up to his legacy. 

As told by Naina, daughter of Dr K K Aggarwal. (10/10)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with The Better India

The Better India Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @thebetterindia

May 3
Summer's here, and there's nothing quite like a slice of chilled, juicy watermelon 🍉.

#watermelonseason #summerfruit #fruitsafety #healthtips #foodsafety #watermelon

[Watermelon, artificial ripening, adulterants, food safety, Food Adultration] Image
But before you dig in, make sure your melon isn't hiding a not-so-sweet secret.

Swipe left for tips to ensure you're picking a healthy and unadulterated watermelon every time! Image
Read 9 tweets
May 2
Ditch the harsh chemicals and embrace the power of houseplants to keep mosquitoes 🦟at bay!

#MosquitoSeason #NaturalMosquitoRepellent #DIYPestControl #GardenTips #Summers

[Mosquito repellent plants, Indoor plants, Mosquito Repellent, Houseplant] Image
Here are 9 amazing plants that not only add life to your home but also help keep those pesky mosquitoes away>> Image
Read 10 tweets
Apr 23
Skip the store-bought masala box and create restaurant-worthy recipes with these simple DIY spice mixes!

#indianfood #spicemixes #diycooking #easyrecipes #IndianSpice #Spicemixrecipies #India #IndianMasala

[Indian Masala, DIY Spice Mix, Masla Recipe, Indian recipes] Image
Swipe through to discover 8 incredible spice mixes you can create at home with whole spices, giving you complete control over the ingredients. ➡️ Image
Read 9 tweets
Apr 20
Summer is synonymous with lassi, isn’t it?

#Lassi #lassilovers #summers #beattheheat #heatwave #summerbeverages #staycoolinsummers #SummerTreats

[Summer, Lassi, Mango Lassi, Best Lassi, Amritsar, Delhi, Jodhpur, Benares, Jaipur, Mumbai, Indian Food, Street Food, Summer Drinks] Image
Just to make your search for THE best lassi easier, we created this foodies-recommended bucket list for you. Are you ready? Image
Read 10 tweets
Apr 12
Ever wondered how Indians kept cool in hot summers before the advent of air conditioning?

#Summer #Architecture #Ecofriendly #Heritage #SustainableHomes #TraditionalArchitecture #Inspiration #BeatTheHeat #Heatwave

[Summers, Beat The Heat, Heatwave in India, Sustainable Homes] Image
The answer is through simple, yet profound lessons in architecture, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics that were used to build homes rich in craftsmanship. Image
The careful thought and science that went into them can still serve as lessons in designing homes that stay cool amid the heat and humidity of Indian summers. >> Image
Read 9 tweets
Apr 11
Maidaan, the movie made on the epic story of Syed Abdul Rahim starring Ajay Devgn, hits the theatres today.

@ajaydevgn

#Maidaan #SyedAbdulRahim #IndianFootball #AjayDevgn #AmitSharma #Bollywood

[Maidaan movie, Syed Abdul Rahim biopic, Indian football, Bollywood, Ajay Devgn] Image
@ajaydevgn The film directed by Amit Sharma chronicles the remarkable tale of the legendary coach who spearheaded the national football team's rise.

Rahim was instrumental in the sport from 1950 to 1963, a period hailed as the "Golden Age" of Indian football.
@ajaydevgn Under his guidance, the team clinched Asian Games gold medals in both 1951 and 1962.

Born on 17th August 1909 in Hyderabad, Rahim, a teacher by profession, harboured a burning passion for football since childhood.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(