Meltem Demirors Profile picture
Jul 21, 2021 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
1/ investing in bitcoin has historically been limited to passive exposure (long BTC)

yesterday, @viridifunds launched $RIGZ, the first publicly listed crypto mining ETF

as the bitcoin industry grows, so do opportunities to invest along the bitcoin value chain 👇

let's dive in!
2/ before bitcoin, i worked in the oil & gas industry.

investors who want exposure to oil & gas in their portfolio don't just buy contracts for WTI crude or nat gas.

they buy a diversified portfolio of companies and commodities across the oil and gas value chain
3/ an E&P company can produce oil at a lower cost than they sell it, and investors can realize significantly more upside than holding just the underlying commodity, oil

a refining company that converts crude into product and retails it can extract higher margins
4/ similarly, companies are starting to emerge along different parts of the bitcoin value chain

for example, my company @CoinSharesCo ($CS.ST) creates bitcoin-based financial products and services. so does @coinbase ($COIN).

miners are like E&P companies - they "produce" $BTC
5/ now, to "produce" bitcoin, you need

🖥️ a specialized semiconductor (ASIC)
⚡️ electricity

per the the economics of bitcoin 👇the real competitive edge is lowering the cost of "producing" bitcoin by (a) reducing the capex drag of hardware and (b) securing the lowest cost power
6/ $RIGZ is an actively managed ETF, with a mandate is to invest in semiconductor and ASIC companies and crypto mining operators who are getting the majority of their power from "clean energy" or renewable power sources

you may be confused 😕 isn't bitcoin boiling the ocean?
7/ interestingly, over 50% of north american bitcoin mining is done with renewable energy 🌿

note the current US energy grid only utilizes 19% renewables 😢

that makes bitcoin mining one of the greenest industries in north america, and a great sector for this type of product!
8/ as one of the world's largest digital asset managers, @CoinSharesCo is proud to be Viridi's lead investor, and to continue to expand the universe of crypto investment products with innovative partners like @ViridiFunds, @3iq_corp, and @InvescoEMEA
9/ for more detail on $RIGZ, see the link below!

disclosure: this is not financial advice, DYOR. CoinShares is an investor in Viridi, and an advisor to the management company. i personally own $RIGZ.

prnewswire.com/news-releases/…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Meltem Demirors

Meltem Demirors Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Melt_Dem

Dec 8, 2023
1/ quick notes and data points from the discussion @kellyjgreer and i had at @PubKey_NYC last night

'tis the season of the most hated rally - bitcoin is ripping and macro folks are not happy about it

jamie dimon and elizabeth warren seem especially mad 😠 max cope incoming Image
2/ bitcoin pricing is driven by FLOWS

it's tempting to get lost in piles of analysis but as we'll discuss later on, the key to understanding is looking at open positions, trade volume, inflows and outflows

sentiment doesn't matter until it's expressed as a trade Image
3/ bitcoin is highly reflexive

i had a moment of enlightenment a few years back. i used to believe narrative -> sentiment -> flows -> price but it's really much simpler

price drives action

this is what @saylor $MSTR has perfected. buy, price goes up, follow with narrative Image
Read 17 tweets
Jul 18, 2023
1/ a short summary of a recent talk on silicon, satoshis, and superpowers

power in our world is changing. a decade ago, oil and gas companies and banks ruled markets. now it's tech companies and financialization runs rampant (>100x P/E ratios etc) Image
2/ as our lives become increasingly digitized, value creation is happening on a new frontier, and a handful of industries and companies are well positioned to capitalize on this shift Image
3/ this is also impacting the geopolitical landscape. we live in a multipolar world, and power has historically been dependent on the ability of a nation to secure access to natural resources, namely oil Image
Read 15 tweets
Jun 26, 2023
1/ last week's @BlackRock spot Bitcoin ETF filing was big news!

but, it's not the only story. many of the largest financial institutions in the US are actively working to provide access to Bitcoin and more.

a quick glance - $27 trillion of client assets here!
2/ this is by no means a complete overview of all the offerings available, but its always helpful to zoom out and look at the bigger picture

while "the institutions are coming" has been more of a trickle than a wave, we're seeing the bridges being built in real time
3/ it's also helpful to analyze whether firms are choosing to build, buy, or partner

so far, we've seen a lot of "partner" but some are choosing "build"

we haven't seen much "buy" - established crypto firms are expensive acquisition targets w/ $B+ valuations and + EBITDA
Read 7 tweets
Sep 27, 2022
1/ stuff i'm thinking about right now (hence quiet and mostly off social) - a brain dump with links
2/ web3 infra business models very analogous to web2, hence business metrics end up converging over time

limited examples of scalable token-driven models that work, most successful co's are web2 / centralized models

tomtunguz.com/spot-the-diffe…
3/ most profitable businesses in crypto, outside of interchange, is selling services to venture funded crypto co's

hosting and web3 infra will be a huge category, but custom SaaS growing rapidly esp in cybersecurity, compliance, and legal tech Image
Read 16 tweets
Aug 9, 2022
1/ thanks to @farokh and the @RugRadio community for having me on the show today! i enjoyed discussing NFT market structure and why i don't care for utility or roadmaps with my JPEGs 🙅‍♀️

links to things discussed below 👇
2/ blog post on NFT market microstructure and how it may evolve over time - don't worry, u will be able to explain market microstructure if u just skim it lightly

bonus: you can collect the post as an NFT if you are so inclined, thanks to @viamirror

meltem.mirror.xyz/Qc2jR5ggGznGrU…
3/ some of the NFT trading tools we discussed:
data - @UpshotHQ mystic.com @context @Flip_xyz
marketplaces - @geniexyz @sudoswap @LooksRare @opensea
lending - @NFTfi @AstariaXYZ

remember - "if it's not a grail, it's a floor" wisdom by @nick_emmons @GeorgiaOEth
Read 5 tweets
Jul 11, 2022
1/ i prep talking points to help me gather + aggregate data, organize my thinking, and develop a cogent, fact-based narrative

here is a dive into this week's notes, with sources, for those of you who find it interesting or are working on doing this for yourself👇
2/ first i focus on market data by segment - i split it into retail, institutions & funds, and traders & market makers

for retail, @skewdotcom publishes social sentiment data

@glassnode breaks down bitcoin holder cohorts - shrimps (<1 BTC) accumulating aggressively rn!
3/ for institutions & funds, structured products are a good proxy for exposure. i use our @CoinSharesCo fund flows report, published weekly here
blog.coinshares.com/digitalassetfu…

after massive outflows in late June, we've flipped back to modest inflows, last week was flat (4th of july)
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(