Roanna Carleton Taylor Profile picture
Jul 21, 2021 10 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Walk by the Canal. Work in Progress thread

Roanna Carleton Taylor
My initial underpainting is about placement. Here I'm building on where I want the layers to be and starting to create the shape of the painting
Building up the layers of the trees. I block out the parts where the sky shows through and then add foliage for realism.
Adding in the lowlights. A fellow artist said the tree on the right looked like a head of broccoli at this stage!
Working out where the reflection on the water would be. It was a bit too blue at this stage though.
Toned down the water and starting to add some highlights to the foliage
Warming the picture with yellows. Added a boat too.
More detail to the water, added some shadows and put some shadowing and texture on the path
The finished painting

Roanna Carleton Taylor

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Roanna Carleton Taylor

Roanna Carleton Taylor Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MrsCTLandscapes

Jun 11, 2022
Thread: Kilchurn Castle in progress.
This painting was all about symmetry and depth. I had to make sure the hills didn't look flat and I had to make sure the castle was correctly reflected in the water.
I had to build up the actual hills and then try to mirror the light and shadow on the reflection below. I did a lot of this by photographing it, inverting the image then flipping it upside down to use as a reference.
Read 9 tweets
Jun 11, 2022
Thread: Progress photos of my self portrait as a child.
This was an important painting for me as the photo is a really happy memory of my childhood.
The problem was that although I was confident with the landscape I have very little experience drawing people... So I decided to leave the person to the end!
I wanted to capture the age of the photo so the pallette was very green and yellow.
Read 11 tweets
Jun 11, 2022
Thread: Progress photos of Blue Mountains

Started out by defining the shape of the mountains. What I should have done at this stage is work out the light source. I didn't and it cost me a lot of time later.
This was all about the Blue for me. But later on I went too much into realism so had to pull it back from just being blue.
The shapes went a bit weird at this point.
Read 15 tweets
Jan 11, 2022
Started my painting of the power house at Boldt Castle. About as close to a fairytale castle as the world outside Disney has!
Blocked in the colour and checked the perspective of the building.
Started to think about shades and tones.
Read 12 tweets
Jan 10, 2022
The start of my painting Windmill at Dawn. Blocking out the areas of the picture and working out the scale. (Thread)
Not really looking at colour or shape yet, just getting some paint on the canvas.
Feels weird to put the shadows of the trees in before the trees but the grass was still wet!
Read 12 tweets
Nov 26, 2021
Wanted to paint something different to my usual landscapes. This is my second piece tackling the intrusion of nature into the Urban environment.
The architectural elements of this had to be spot on or the painting wouldn't work. I gave up on the idea of square floor tiles early on...
Had to think about how to make the walls look aged and worn and where the shadows would fall.
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(