David Hines Profile picture
Jul 22, 2021 9 tweets 6 min read Read on X
everybody is talking about the Buzzfeed News story about FBI informant involvement in the plot to kidnap the governor of Michigan

lots of focus on how many FBI informants were involved

less-remarked: the story on *when* the feds got involved has evolved
buzzfeednews.com/article/kenben…
Here is the story in the FBI’s affidavit. Note:

a) the impetus for the investigation is sedition on social media.
b) the investigation starts with a guy named Adam Fox, who, following a meeting in Ohio, reaches out to a militia that has already been infiltrated by the FBI.
According to the Buzzfeed article, the affidavit is backwards.

Buzzfeed’s story starts w/ the militia, called the Wolverine Watchmen. Dan, a veteran, joins it blindly and is alarmed: his new buddies aren’t just interested in fun gun stuff but in potentially killing cops.
Dan tells a cop buddy, who alerts the FBI, who ask Dan to become and informant within the group.

When a protest occupies the Michigan Capitol, the Wolverine Watchmen go along. Dan alerts the FBI, whereupon the cops stand down and let them do it.
Adam Fox, focus of the FBI affidavit, is also at that protest. He doesn’t know the Wolverine Watchmen yet.

Joe Morrison, one of the WWs, is invited to a militia meeting in Dublin, Ohio. He does not go.

Adam Fox, also invited, does.

The meeting sponsor is an FBI informant.
This is the crucial bit: Joe Morrison decides to hook up the Wolverines with Adam Fox, who has radicalized to the extent of wanting to seize the state Capitol and take hostages.

Except *Morrison hadn’t been at the meeting where the FBI obviously had set up him and Fox to meet.*
So here is the crucial question, which doesn’t seem to be answered in Buzzfeed or in the affidavit: *how did Adam Fox — who fantasized about raising 200 men to seize the Capitol — know who the Wolverine Watchmen even were to reach out to them?*

Who connected him & Joe Morrison?
The FBI pretty clearly set up that initial meeting to connect as many people they were investigating as possible under the kind auspices of an informant host, and then see what possibilities for set-ups that offered them so they could pick the most promising ones to roll up.
Also interesting sausage-making: it’s pretty clear they wrote the affidavit’s story of the investigation retroactively. If somebody else had come out of that meeting as a contender, they would have written beginning of the investigation with a different protagonist.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with David Hines

David Hines Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @hradzka

Oct 5
Because replies are at multiple levels, here are screencaps of the full, very interesting exchange between Elon Musk and Pete Buttigieg, with timestamps 1/ Image
2/ Image
3/ Image
Read 5 tweets
Jul 3
I always complain that movie & TV sets these days are too aspirational lifestyle

e.g. RED DRAGON (2002) vs. MANHUNTER (1986) — Ed Norton & William Petersen as same dude w/ same job in same story; compare their houses (MH left, RD right) — but I rewatched & it's more than that
RED DRAGON doesn’t just have sets that are bigger or fancier or more expensive: even its spaces with few people are deeper

for example, this police briefing scene, with shots of the speakers and of the crowd (MANHUNTER left, RED DRAGON right)

here is another: the bad guy’s living room (MANHUNTER left, RED DRAGON right)
Read 44 tweets
Feb 19
final verdict on TRUE DETECTIVE S4: just ok, a bit clunky, and the reveal doesn't work on a character level (ie, motivations don't make sense bc ppl's actions require access to information they have no reason to be privy to)

so it got me thinking: what makes TRUE DETECTIVE work?
on my recent TRUE DETECTIVE rewatch I started making notes about what I felt the essence of TRUE DETECTIVE was and what made it work

not a formula, but a vibe and ground rules that I would look to if for some reason HBO asked me of all people to create a season of TRUE DETECTIVE
or, put another way: of the stuff that made TRUE DETECTIVE: S1 compelling TV, what can you replicate without making it feel like a retread?
Read 16 tweets
Feb 9
reminder that when the Gaetz venmo scandal was wall to wall journos were swearing the guy who got arrested would imminently drop indisputable proof that Gaetz was banging a minor

that dude never dropped it, couldn’t deliver Gaetz to prosecutors, and went to prison
I think it’s fair to say that everybody on both sides of the aisle was prepared to believe Gaetz did sleazy stuff, but wanted to see the goods

and the goods never dropped when they could have saved an involved party from prison, so I expect this is bs
Read 4 tweets
Sep 25, 2023
here is an amazing anecdote I heard from somebody who has been in Cameroon

it is about money

or rather, the lack of it
petty corruption is *extremely* common in Cameroon; if you are a foreigner (or of a different local ethnicity than the officer) cops will straight-up demand a bribe to let you move on

in US currency:
typical sidewalk bribe: $3.50
typical speeding ticket bribe: $20
the government is doing a poor job of rooting this out, in part because they are all too busy collecting bribes

so busy, in fact, they have neglected a different and more hilarious problem

an extreme lack of small change
Read 12 tweets
Sep 4, 2023
yes, I know, it's deeply annoying that that the most dedicated people reporting on the white nationalist scene aren't honest brokers

but this flip side take is pure cope, folks

I wasn't going to do a thread on these guys, but fine, here we go
the media using these goons as a club to hammer normal righties does not mean that that is their most important function as far as they (the goons) are concerned

do not mistake what concerns you for the function; this ain't about you
rule of thumb when you're looking at radical groups is: figure out which groups in question you're dealing with, and here you're dealing with a couple different but aligned ones

they're called a) Blood Tribe and b) Goyim Defense League
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(