DCPetterson Profile picture
Jul 23, 2021 5 tweets 2 min read Read on X
I wrote a thread couple of weeks ago about how the purpose of Russian psyops is to convince =you= that democracy doesn't work, and that =no one= in government is interested in fixing it.

Here's an example. Image
And two more low-follower commenters saying almost precisely the same thing.

Almost as if they're all working in the same room. Image
The repetitiveness of the argument is telling. Image
The point they're all trying to make is that it's useless to vote for the only party that can stop fascist Republicans.

They want YOU to lose hope. Image
Here's one arguing that since it's simple to break things, creating solutions should be simple too.

See how the psyops works? Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with DCPetterson

DCPetterson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @dcpetterson

Aug 22
I heard pundidiots yesterday debating how Democrats should deal with Trump. Should we dourly remind people how dangerous he is? Or should we mock him?

The bobblehead media sages presented it as a choice, and as a contrast of old vs new.

They're wrong, of course.

1/14
The "old" way, they said, was to dwell on the danger and threat that is Trump, and to acknowledge his power, like a Colossus of Crap, striding confidently over the landscape, something unbeatable and terrifying, who never loses or suffers consequences.

2/14
More than two years ago, I mocked this myth (see the linked thread). Trump ALWAYS loses.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't represent a danger. The danger is his myth of invincibility. The danger is, people believe that myth.

3/14

Read 14 tweets
Aug 18
I've told this story before. It's worth repeating.

(It's not my mythology. But I'm a student of religion and myth and folklore. Aesop's Fables aren't mine either, but there's a lot of good stuff there.)

1/7
---
There's an old story about two fields, separated by a fence. One field belongs to God, the other to Satan. People are allowed to come and go as they please, and to choose on which field they would stand. Free will.

The fields fill every day, with a new group of people.

2/7
The Archangel Michael comes by mid-morning, and gathers all the people in God's field, taking them to the bliss of Heaven.

Satan arrives in the afternoon, taking the people in the other field, and bringing them to the tortures of Hell.

3/7
Read 7 tweets
Aug 16
Now that Hunter Biden doesn't matter anymore, Republicans in the House have launched shamvestigations into Kamala Harris and Tim Walz--almost as if the whole Hunter Biden thing was a now-irrelevant political ploy. So they have to find new political ploys.

1/10
The new fake-inquiry into VP Harris is about her work looking into the reasons Central American refugees are fleeing their countries. This didn't matter when Harris was merely Biden's running mate. It does now, since she's the Democratic candidate.

2/10

newrepublic.com/post/184772/ja…
The Harris fake-investigation also is an attempt to distract from how Republicans killed the bipartisan border bill that would have solved the fake "problem" at the southern border. They must deflect from their own perfidy. She didn't solve it, because they prevented it.

3/10
Read 10 tweets
Aug 16
Trivia.
Since 1936, incumbent presidents ran for reelection 15 times:

1936 FDR
1940 FDR
1944 FDR
1948 Truman
1956 Eisenhower
1964 Johnson
1972 Nixon
1976 Ford *
1980 Carter *
1984 Reagan
1992 Bush I *
1996 Clinton
2004 Bush II
2012 Obama
2020 Trump *

* = NOT reelected

1/12
I picked 1936 as the starting year since FDR was the last president who was NOT limited to 2 terms and the only president to get more than 2 terms.

Truman, Johnson and Ford became president when the elected president died in office or resigned. They all ran for reelection.

2/12
Of all these thirteen presidents listed, only Johnson chose to NOT run for a reelection for which he was eligible. (He served less than two years of JFK's term, run as an incumbent and won in 1964, and was eligible to run again in 1968, but didn't.)

3/12
Read 13 tweets
Aug 3
People used to say, "Democrats fall in love, but Republicans fall in line," meaning, Democrats need a charismatic leader, but Republicans vote pure party.

Partly true, but the cultish worship of Reagan (previously) and now, Trump, shows Republicans are all about their gods.

1/7
Republicans vote Party, because they expect the Once and Future Savoir will someday appear, the Messiah who will lead them to the Promised Land of white nationalist pseudo-theocracy. They craved the Second Coming of Saint Ronald, until they sampled Orange Outrage Sauce.

2/7
The only way in which Trump is like Reagan is the contempt for intelligence, the embrace of stupidity, the denial of knowing anything. They're both Everyman, if every man is a moron clown. It's comforting to worship a savior as stupid as you are.

2/7
Read 8 tweets
Jul 19
There's no other candidate.
There is no plan for picking a new candidate.
There is no plan for assembling a campaign structure.
There's no plan to get any money.
There's no plan to get names on state ballots.
A new slate will be challenged in all red or purple states.

1/6
Legal challenges will go to SCOTUS.

There is no nationally-known figure to swap in anyway.
Except Harris.
Most people who don't want Biden
--don't want Harris either.
An "open primary" would be a circus
wrapped in a bloodbath.

Voting starts in September.

2/6
There's no plan to get a new candidate in front of all Americans by September.

There's no guarantee Biden can beat Trump.
But he can. He's the only one who ever has.
Anyone else will lose forty states to Trump. At least.

3/6
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(