Marijn van Putten Profile picture
Jul 27, 2021 20 tweets 8 min read Read on X
What is it with Classical Arabic/Qurʾānic Arabic textbooks and teaching people incorrect Arabic...
It seems like everyone has decided collectively it's better to lie about the details than actually teach it correctly.
So then you get the joy of unlearning all you learned wrong!
Of course there's also just the downright ignorant stuff about the Arabic script.

Why on earth write on the history of the script at all, if you're not going to reality check even a single thing you're saying! ARGH!
Moreover, a book that purports to be about "Quranic Arabic" but is actually specificlaly about the Arabic of the reading of Ḥafṣ ʿan ʿĀṣim is defensible, but at the very least you should *mention* that it is.
Only thing is that is is based on the "standard print". So what if someone picks up their printed Quran in Morocco? Or if they're in the Netherlands or France and are likely to pick up Warš as well? And suddenly a ton of what is in the book is wrong compared to their print.
All this being said. These are minor annoyances, but they are so pervasive that I'm not sure where one is to learn "proper" Classical/Quranic Arabic at all.

The book is otherwise quite good, has a nice structure, clearly laid out.
Ah yes, the Quranic Arabic adjective kufuwwun 'equal' known for... Sūrat al-ʾIḫlāṣ???

kufuwan is *not* the accusative of kufuwwun. It is the accusative of kufuʾun with dropped hamz. That's difficult to explain, but now students are left thinking gemination is optional.
And honestly, is kufuwwun even typically in use at all? As far as I know the typical form is kufūʾ, which *still* requires you to explain the dropping of the hamzah.

And like the form kufuww, kufūʾ is not Quranic.
No... in reality it *is* a single particle that evolved to have different uses -- just at is traditionally talked about. It's from *mah 'what?'
al-luʾluʾu اللؤلؤ, al-laʿnatu اللعنة, al-lāʿibīna اللعبين, al-laġwi اللغو, al-lamama اللمم, al-lahwi اللهو, al-lāṭīfu اللطيف, al-lahabi اللهب would like to have a word with you about that rule Dr. Jones.
A bit odd to cite al-jawārī as an example, since that form only occur in the Quran in its shortened form الجوار al-jawāri.

In general, no word at all on the shortened forms, which are rather frequent throughout the Quran. Is this a grammar of Classical or Quranic Arabic?!
Hey it's really neat that the Arabic uses the maddah sign in fī l-samāʾi, but Jones explicitly says he will not explain the maddah sign, and that he will use it only to write ʾā (which is not how it is used in the Quran). So now people are left reading it as as-samaʾāʾi...
yes ʾulū/ʾulī, which literally never occurs with final nūn+fatḥah is *definitely* the best way to show the process of dropping the nūn+fatḥah. </sarcasm>

(not also the non-quranic orthography اولو instead of Quranic اولوا).
Ah yes, bi-smi is only ever written without the ʾalif in the basmalah. That it is spelled بسم in Q11:41 just means that verse is a basmalah! (quran.com/11/41).
This is... not wrong. There are a couple of places where it is not written. But it seems like you're skipping over a rather essential point of Quranic orthography here, i.e. that the otiose ʾalif is written hundreds of times where it is NOT the 3 m.p. ending.
That is NOT the Hijazi mā. The Hijazi mā is only when the predicate is marked with the accusative. Which Jones does mention, but as a 'subset' of the Hijazi mā.

I appreciate him making a distinction between Quranic usage and classical usage here though.
with the perfect only, except of course when it is not. Like Q2:214; Q3:142; Q9:16; Q10:39; Q11:111; Q38:8; Q49:14; Q62:3; Q80:23
No doubt word-order is sometimes changed to accommodate the rhyme. But I'm not sure if this is a good example, nor that ʾantum muʾminūna bihī is the most natural way of saying it. The only phrase I could find with that 'natural' word-order in the Quran is ʾantum muġnūna ʿannā
Happy to see Jones discuss these forms. But where on earth does the declaration that they are Hijazi forms come from? Purely because it is Quran and therefore it must be Hijazi?

The grammarians certainly don't identify it this way. What's the point of introducing it like that?
Prepositional phrases may also be inserted in between if the subject of ʾanna is definite, or in construct. And as far as I can tell that's in fact more common than with the indefinite form.
Correct observation that the uncontracted form is more typical in the Quran. However the constracted form of yartadid occurs, and it is *not* vocalised yartaddi! It's yartadda (Q27:40). You only get i before hamzat al-waṣl: Q59:4 yušāqqi llāha

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Marijn van Putten

Marijn van Putten Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PhDniX

Jul 10
Ibn Ḫālawayh's (d. 380) Kitāb al-Badīʿ is an interesting book on the Qirāʾāt because it's the earliest surviving work that tries to simplify the transmissions of the readings, and does it rather differently from what becomes popular, the system of Ibn Ġalbūn the father (d. 389) Image
Ibn Ḫālawayh was Ibn Muǧāhid's student, who is widely held to be the canonizer of the seven reading traditions. Ibn Muǧāhid's book is the earliest book on the 7 reading traditions. But canon or not, Ibn Ḫālawayh's book actually describes 8 (adding Yaʿqūb).
Today the simplified system (and the only surviving one) is the "two-rawi canon". Each of the 7 readers, have two standard transmitters (all of them were once transmitter by more transmitters than those two). This system was introduced by ʾAbū al-Ṭayyib Ibn Ġalbūn in his ʾiršād. Image
Read 15 tweets
May 3
NEW PUBLICATION: "Pronominal variation in Arabic among grammarians, Qurʾānic readings traditions and manuscripts".

This article has been in publication hell for 4 years. But it was an seminal work for my current research project, and a great collaboration with Hythem Sidky.
🧵 Image
In this paper we try to describe the pronominal system used in early Islamic Classical Arabic. There is a striking amount of variation in this period, most of which does not survive into "standard classical Arabic".
We first look at the grammarians and how they describe the pronominal system.. Much of this description is already in my book (Van Putten 2022), but I assure you we wrote this way before I wrote that 🥲
Notable here is that Sībawayh prescribes minhū instead of now standard minhu. Image
Read 23 tweets
Apr 21
In my book "Quranic Arabic" I argue that if you look closely at the Quranic rasm you can deduce that the text has been composed in Hijazi Arabic (and later classicized into more mixed forms in the reading traditions). Can we identify dialects in poetry?
I think this is possible to some extent, yes. And so far this has really not been done at all. Most of the time people assume complete linguistic uniformity in the poetry, and don't really explore it further.
But there are a number of rather complex issues to contend with:
As @Quranic_Islam already identified, there are some philological problems that get in the way in poetry that aren't there for the Quran: I would not trust a hamzah being written in a written down poem. This might be classicization. So it's hard to test for this Hijazi isogloss.
Read 13 tweets
Apr 17
Last year I was asked to give a talk at the NISIS Autumn School about the textual history of the Quran. Here's a thread summarizing the points of that presentation. Specifically the presentation addresses some of Shoemaker's new objections on the Uthmanic canonization. Image
Traditionally, the third caliph ʿUṯmān is believed to have standardized the text.

However, in critical scholarship of the '70s the historicity of this view came to be questioned.

How can we really be sure that what the tradition tells us is correct?
This skepticism wasn't wholly unwarranted at the time. The Uthmanic canonization really had been uncritically accepted, not based on any material evidence.

But we now have access to many manuscripts, beautifully digitized, we can test the historicity of these claims! Image
Read 27 tweets
Apr 13
The canonical Kufan readers Ḥamzah and al-Kisāʾī read the word ʾumm "mother" or ʾummahāt "mothers" with a kasrah whenever -ī or -i precedes, e.g.:
Q43:4 fī ʾimmi l-kitābi
Q39:6/Q53:32 fī buṭūni ʾimma/ihātikum

This seems random, but there is a general pattern here! 🧵 Image
This feature was explained al-Farrāʾ in a lengthy discussion at the start of his Maʿānī. This makes sense: al-Farrāʾ was al-Kisāʾī's student who in turn was Ḥamzah's. Surprisingly in "The Iconic Sībawayh" Brustad is under the misapprehension that this is not a canonical variant.

This is irregular, such a vowel harmony does not occur in cases with other words that starts with ʾu-. For example, Q13:30 is just fī ʾummatin, not **fī ʾimmatin.

However this irregular reading is part of a larger pattern of vowel harmony accross guttural consonants.
Read 15 tweets
Mar 20
Those who have read my book on Quranic Arabic may have noticed that I translate The Arabic word luġah as "linguistic practice", rather than "dialect" which is how many people commonly translate it.

This is for good reason: among the Arab grammarians it did not mean dialect! 🧵 Image
In Modern Standard Arabic, luġah basically just means "language", as can be seen, e.g. on the Arabic Wikipedia page on the Dutch Language which calls it al-luġah al-hūlandiyyah.

This modern use gets projected onto the early Arab grammarians like Sībawayh and al-Farrāʾ. Image
But, they clearly do not mean that to the early grammarians. This is clear from statements like Sībawayh saying: faʿil forms that have a guttural consonant as second radical have four "luġāt": faʿil, fiʿil, faʿl and fiʿl.

In English a word or word-form cannot "have" a dialect. Image
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(