BIS - what would you do?

50M, TIVA TCI + Spinal.
Propofol (Marsh) Cp 2.6
Remi (Minto) Ce 2

Filters OFF.

[Tweetorial to follow… :) ]
Too much? Too little?

The BIS index is pretty low…?
I can almost hear the audience shouting “LOWER! LOWER!” on Bruce Forsyth’s Play your Cards Right!

(Could be an idea for a new game show…🤔
Looking at the EEG, some lovely large delta oscillations (red) and good alpha power (green). Notice the larger amplitude alpha at the peak of the delta - 👌perfecto!
Turning filters being OFF is the only way you’ll see these big delta oscillations. The EEG looks really flat with the filters on.

It’s a 2Hz high pass filter (and I think a notch filter at 47-50Hz?).

If you can turn them off, without electrical artifacts then do!
The other really important feature is that SR is 0.

On the BIS, the Suppression Ratio is the % of every 63 seconds where the EEG is pretty flat (+/- 0.5uV)

Outside of very specific circumstances, we should aim to keep SR at 0.

Red - highlights an algorithm transition point.
So this is an appropriate EEG for a youngish brain under propofol maintained anaesthesia, fairly early in the case.
Fast forward a bit…

Propofol Cp 2.2
Remi 2

Notice the delta oscillations aren’t quite as mountainous - a bit less Tour de France?

Still a lovely alpha / delta pattern, but now we’re at 44!

(Goodness knows how I managed 1 second of “suppression” 😂)

Let’s think about why…
During induction we create large, slow delta oscillations (from brain stem arousal centres?) this patten transitions to a alpha/delta pattern during maintenance, these delta oscillations are from disruption of local cortico-cortical communication, and have a lower amplitude.
The BIS has four algorithms to choose from, to generate different ranges of numbers. They are “weighted” to blend seamlessly together (with experience you’ll note where the algorithm has failed to transition!)

This example is where low EMG prevented transition to BetaRatio.
The algorithms are:
1) BetaRatio - ratio of high (>20Hz) to low (<20Hz) beta, alters during sedation.
2) SyncFastSlow - Bispectral bit. Phase/amplitude relationships.
3) QUAZI - deals with low amplitude, undulating baseline.
4) Suppression Ratio - linear decrease in BIS as ⬆️SR
How does the box know which algorithm to weight towards?

This fantastic ‘Big Data” study gives us insight:

dx.doi.org/10.1038%2Fs415…

Using a huge data set, and machine learning the team give us insight into a model of these decisions.
This decision tree is important; and explains odd values, and even Messner and Schuller’s daring awake NMB studies!

First point - you need a LOT of suppression to get LOW values. Almost 50%. I moan about this a lot. Sorrynotsorry.

Tighter coupling to suppression would be better
If suppression is not catastrophically high, EMG and SEF95 are evaluated next.
EMG falls at induction as propofol reduces the recticular activating system output.

Schuller demonstrated that if you paralyse awake people BIS falls due to this EMG based trigger! 🤔
SEF95 [Spectral Edge Frequency 95%]
-frequency below which 95% of the EEG power lies.
MEF [Median Edge Frequency]
-frequency below which 50% of the EEG power lies.

This is generally well under 16Hz during anaesthesia - usually around 12.

See it on the updated BIS DSA screen.
In the first image, our patient has an SEF of 9; theres a LOT of power in them there hills!

Working though the decision tree:
BSR is OK.
EMG and SEF are below first threshold.
SEF is below the second threshold.

This is the QUAZI algorithm range, producing values 21-41
In the later image, with the foothills (lower delta power) SEF was 12. (Unusually I didn’t take a DSA pic, but trust me😘).

The weighting will be towards the SyncFastSlow algorithm producing values in the 41-61 range.
Why was the first pic “27” - I don’t know. QUAZI hasn’t been described in detail.

Was I happy? Yup!

Understanding a bit about the EEG, the neurophysiology, pharmacology and how the monitor works is pretty good fun. (Really!)

The context is more important than the numbers.
If I messed up the threading; there’s an unroll at the bottom!

To understand more about how the algorithms are weighted read this:

pubs.asahq.org/anesthesiology…

Rampil’s Primer remains an essential reference:

pubs.asahq.org/anesthesiology…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mark Barley

Mark Barley Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Chronotrope

Jun 30, 2021
One of my favourite things to see - despite being nearly 80, this patient is producing alpha oscillations with amplitude commensurate with a much younger brain!

Suggested pre-GA from excellent general health, non-smoker and cognitively pin-sharp (crosswords, reading club etc!)
This is a TIVA TCI anaesthetic. Predictably, these patients will emerge very well from anaesthesia.

Although the BIS is simpler pEEG device than the Narcotrend or Sedline, one can still appreciate EEG features.
The X axis is time - this EEG epoch is 4.4 seconds long.
It’s worth remembering this.

(The device is actually uses 2 second epochs with a 1 second overlap in the algorithm but that doesn’t really matter unless you’re being really geeky, but sort of explains the 63 second SR)
Read 18 tweets
May 13, 2020
Characteristic bold claim from Marc 😘.

C-19 has encouaged me to use Thio again, with the benefit of pEEG (and a bit of geekiness) I thought I'd have a look at this.

This might be an interesting thread or turn into a new induction technique by itself.
Given a potential shortage of Propofol and Roc, I’ve reverted back to volatile anaesthesia. Hopefully temporarily. Fewer planes in the sky will offset my increased carbon footprint 🤔. Maintaining skills is good. TST here we come…!
I do like a bit of pEEG for all my anaesthetics. Odd that we routinely monitor every surrogate of anaesthetic effect - but not the target organ of our core drugs. I wonder if we're unique in that regard. We’ve been evaluating the #narcotrend so consumables are pennies (No COI).
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(