Adam Rae Voge Profile picture
Jul 29, 2021 15 tweets 5 min read Read on X
OK everyone, we need to talk about Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. I call this one "Why Auba can't be as far off as he was last season..." (1/x)
Stop me if you've heard this one before: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had a poor 2020-2021 Premier League season. He scored 10 goals in the league, two from penalties. Unlucky? Ted Lasso might call it "New York Jets."

Perspective: Auba scored 10 for Arsenal in 2018...in 12 gms.
What happened?! For one, his shooting dropped off. Auba hit the target with 33.9 percent of his shots in PL play and was 36.9 pct in all comps. Auba is a career 44.2 percent shooter.

2020-2021 was also the first domestic campaign Auba failed to hit at least one SoT/90, (0.73).
(Perspective: Last season Auba's shooting percentage was in the bottom quarter of Prem strikers. Neal Maupay, Willian Jose and Aleksandar Mitrovic were among his closest comps.)
So Auba missed more often. But he also shot less often.

With 56 shots, Auba averaged 2.19 shots per 90 minutes. He shot 90 times in 19-20 and 89 in 18-19, both 2.5 per 90 or higher.

Look at that cluster of red and yellow right in front of goal. There's 4+ xG right there.
I find that cluster disturbing because they were high odds opportunities. Here's his 19-20 shot map, when he was admittedly finishing at something like a career-best rate. Fewer missed sitters, more goals on lower-odds shots. Plenty of chances missed, too.
Here's his first year at Arsenal. Again, you see misses from in front of the goal, some pretty big red or yellow circles here. Auba isn't automatic. But the sheer volume of chances and shots is noticeably bigger, and some of those tiny green circles went in, credit to him.
Here's another way to look at his chances missed. Forwards miss chances, that's not a secret. But Auba didn't actually miss that many last season. In fact, 7 big chances missed is arguably his Arsenal-career-best (2017-2018 was a half-year at the club; this is the PL's stat).
Let's look at progressive passes received and touches in the penalty area/90 from all years available. Hmm. Last year alone, Auba was receiving 1.5 progressive passes less per 90. Among PL forwards, that's the difference between 50th and 85th percentile. That feels significant.
Another note, though I'm not sure how significant it really is: In 2020-2021, only one player assisted more than one Auba goal: Willian (2). Two PKs. The other seven were assisted by seven different players.

2019-2020:
Pepe (3)
Saka (2)
Niles (2)
five unassisted
Another thing that seems problematic: Auba didn't beat defenders off the dribble as much. Dribbling was never really his golden skill, but his dribbles completed/90 was in the eighth percentile among PL forwards last year, down from 22nd and 40th the prior two years.
Some of these things, particularly the shooting accuracy and reduced number of chances, can be fixed. Arsenal want a creator to help him get more chances, and Auba is statistically likely to shot better. But here's something Arsenal should be thinking about...
Auba's output is on the way down. That decrease from Bundesliga to EPL would be expected, and last year's dropoff is more than it should be. I do suspect this is age-related, and it would be wise to start preparations soon for a future without the Gabonese striker.
Auba feels likely to top that 0.31 non-penalty goals per 90 this season, but can he get back above half a goal per match? Mathematically speaking, even posting a 0.50 npg/90 last season would have netted him five goals, or 15 overall instead of 10. ~9% of the club total.
The shooting is likely to bounce back. But how much of the rest will? That's a huge thing to watch this season. Arsenal certainly need Auba's output, particularly in an attacking four potentially devoid of other skilled scorers. For now? It's good to see him smiling.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Adam Rae Voge

Adam Rae Voge Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @adamvoge

Oct 31, 2022
Only a handful of games separate Arsenal from the World Cup, and all of us from spending six weeks guessing what kind of reinforcements Arsenal might bring in. Who's looking especially good out there these days? Let's take a look (thread) Image
Before we get started, my customary disclaimer: This thread has been carefully compiled based only on statistical performance, as tracked by the parties named below. I always recommend a healthy dose of the eye test to balance stats. I'll try to add context I'm aware of.
Now, methodology: This thread explores potential depth/future starters at Arsenal's defensive midfield position, currently occupied by Thomas Partey, and also known as the No. 6 role. THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT ALL 6s RIGHT NOW, but their statistics provide hope they could be.
Read 35 tweets
Aug 22, 2022
Pedro Neto could be Arsenal's myster winger! What would the young Portuguese international bring to the carpet? Let's take a look below (1/x)...
Neto came through the Braga system in Portugal. He made his senior debut at just 16, but ended up playing only about an hour of senior football for his first club, which included a goal. Image
Neto was loaned to Lazio for two seasons (and then purchased by Lazio), but he again figured very little in the senior club, making five appearances totaling 60 minutes. Image
Read 11 tweets
Jul 12, 2022
Arsenal are seemingly interested in Lucas Paqueta, with links popping up from increasingly credible sources each day. So what's this guy's deal, and what would he bring to Arsenal? Let's run down some facts on him (1/x)...
First thing: I'm firmly in the bag for Paqueta and have been for some time. So, you know, keep that in mind. I'll try to be unflinchingly honest, though.
One of the first things you'll hear anyone talk about with Paqueta is his position. Is he a winger? midfielder? 10? false nine? The easiest answer is "yes," as he's played all over the place. Going back to his teenage breakout season in Brazil, though, he was a left CM.
Read 17 tweets
Jul 9, 2022
Not that I actually expect it to happen, but no to €65m for Paqueta, just no.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 29, 2022
The transfer window is dead! Long live the transfer window! With dreams of Raphinha seemingly gone, whom else could Arsenal target? I analyzed the numbers of 44 big-five-leagues wide players, and I'm gonna shoot 'em at ya rapid-fire. Image
My disclaimer: This is 100% based on stats. I'm a proponent of the eye test and recommend you watch (full games, not comps) these guys before forming your opinions.

My criteria: High output, great ball control, creativity. Weighted for league and age. Ideal=25 +PL experienced.
Because Raphinha was the target, I tailored my formula to elevate him in the rankings, meaning similar profiles would rise as well. I'm also going with all tier-one career numbers to weed out inconsistent performers.
Read 29 tweets
Jun 28, 2022
If Arsenal lose out on Raphinha, which kind of seems like it's happening, it would be tough to replicate the day-one impact. That said, here are some names to consider from my March thread on the position:
Obviously. With the wage bill likely an issue, it may be a good idea not to get too invested in this one, no pun intended.
Luis Sinisterra is my favorite winger who's not in the larger leagues.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(