Marijn van Putten Profile picture
Jul 31, 2021 25 tweets 15 min read Read on X
Today, by far the most dominant recitation of the Quran is that of Ḥafṣ (d. 180/796) who transmits from the Kufan reciter ʿĀṣim (d. 127/745). But this dominant position it has today appears to have been a rather recent one.

Thread on looking for Ḥafṣ in early manuscripts 🧵
Contrary to certain pseudoscholarly modern claims, there is absolutely no evidence that Ḥafṣ represents the "reading of the masses" from time immemorial until today. The reading was one of many and it only started to become dominant during the ottoman empire.
But just because it became dominant then, of course does not mean the reading was not transmitted before that. It certainly was, that much is clear even from the literary sources. Already with Ibn Mujāhid (d. 324/936) who canonized the seven, Ḥafṣ is included in transmission.
But can we find manuscript evidence for this reading in Kufic manuscripts before canonization? A way to look for this, is to examine the locations of the mufradāt Ḥafṣ, i.e. readings that among the canonical readers are *exclusive* to Ḥafṣ. This allows rapid identification.
In the following I have restricted my search to manuscripts that can be accessed from corpuscoranicum.de. While there are some other manuscripts, CC is a huge corpus and can be thought of as quite a representative sample (that is also easy to search!).
Q2:67: Ḥafṣ is the only one who read huzuwan; Rest: huzuʾan or huzʾan.
1: Minutoli 296: huz(u)ʾan
2: Wetzstein II 1913: could be consistent with huzuwan.
3: Arabe 325j: red: huzʾan, green: huzuʾan
4: Arabe 346d: might be consistent with huzuwan.
1: Arabe 367(h): red: huzuʾan; green: huzuwan

So one manuscript so far certainly contains Ḥafṣ' reading as a secondarily marked reading. The other two are more ambiguous

Expect spelling: either img 2 or 3.

Wetzstein II 1913 certainly isn't Ḥafṣ on other grounds.
Q3:83: Ḥafṣ yurǧaʿūna; rest: turǧaʿūna or tarǧiʿūna.

1: Wetzstein II 1920: turǧaʿūna (but dotting clearly a later hand)
2: Arabe 336: turǧaʿūna
3: Arabe 337c: turǧaʿūna
4: Arabe 339: turǧaʿūna
1: Arabe 352(h): Red tarǧiʿūna (a non-canonical reading) Blue: yurǧaʿūna (Ḥafṣ' reading!)

So the only time the reading shows up is as a secondary reading (red, is always the main and default reading).
Q3:157: Ḥafṣ yaǧmaʿūna, rest: taǧmaʿūna.

1: Arabe 339: yaǧmaʿūna (Ḥafṣ' reading)

But note that earlier Arabe 339 had the non-Ḥafṣ reading, so the manuscript is not consistent with his canonical reading.

2: Arabe 350b: taǧmaʿūna
3: Arabe 354a: taǧmaʿūna / yaǧmaʿūna.
Q4:152: Ḥafṣ yuʾtīhim; Rest: nuʾtīhim
1: Wetzstein II 1915: yuʾtīhim (Ḥafṣ, but dotting is probably a later hand. Red vocalisation on this same page has non-Ḥafṣ readings).
2: Arabe 330f: nuʾtīhimū
3: Arabe 330g: nuʾtīhim
4: Arabe 337a: nuʾtīhim
1: Arabe 339: nuʾtīhim (again confirming it is not Ḥafṣ)
2: Arabe 344b: nuʾtīhim/nuʾtīhumū (dotting likely later)

One manuscript with the Ḥafṣ reading, but whose further system clearly is not Ḥafṣ but something non-canonical.
Q5:107: Ḥafṣ istaḥaqqa; Rest: ustuḥiqqa
1: W.552: ustuḥiqqa
2: Wetzstein II 1913: ustuḥiqqa (indeed not Ḥafṣ as anticipated)
3: Wetzstein II 1915: Red difficult to see, but green = istaḥaqqa so main reading is not Ḥafṣ (see above)
4: Arabe 337c: ustuḥiqqa
1: Arabe 339: ustuḥiqqa
2: Arabe 342a: ustuḥiqqa
3: Rampur Raza No. 1: ustuḥiqqa

So Ḥafṣ reading one time found marks as a secondary reading.
Q7:117 Ḥafṣ: talqafu; Rest: talaqqafu

1: W.552: talaqqafu (word-internal vowels are generally only spelled with geminates or when non-obvious)
2: Wetzstein II 1913: likely talqafu.
3: Saray Medina 1a: talaqqafu
4: Arabe 339: talqafu (?) dots are missing entirely, even rafʿ.
1: Arabe 340f: talqafu. Based on ʾuṣūl, this is not Ḥafṣ, but non-canonical.
2: Arabe 364b: yellow: talaqqafu; what is green? Why is red absent? Red is not Ḥafṣ based on ʾuṣūl.
3: Rampur Raza No. 1: talqafu
Ḥafṣ seems common (or is it defective spelling of talaqqafu?).
Q7:164: Ḥafṣ maʿḏiratan; Rest: maʿḏiratun.

1: ms. or. fol. 379 (2) : maʿḏiratun
2: Wetzstein II 1913: maʿḏiratun
3: Saray Medina 1a: maʿḏiratun
4: Arabe 339: maʿḏiratun
1: Rampur Raza, No. 1

Not a single manuscript attests the Ḥafṣ reading at all, be it in the primary colour or the secondary color.
Q8:18: mūhinu kaydi; Rest: mūhinun kayda/muwahhinun kayda.

1: W.552: mūhinun kayda
2: Wetzstein II 1913: mūhinun kayda
3: Add. 1125: mūhinun kayda
4: Saray Medina 1a: mūhinun kayda
1: Arabe 348b: primary colour: mūhinun kayda; secondary colour: muwahhinu kaydi (non-canonical)
2: Arabe 351: red: muwahhinun kayda; blue: muwahhinu kaydi (perhaps Ḥafṣ' mūhinu kaydi).
3&4: Arabe 352h: red: mūhinun kayda; blue: muwahhinun kayda.
1: Rampur Raza No 1: muwahhinun kayda.

We could go on, but this thread is getting long, so I'll leave the rest as an exercise to the reader. But some conclusions: From this sample it is clear that readings that are unique to Ḥafṣ among the canonical readers were not unique.
You find his readings, occasionally, in manuscripts that otherwise clearly do not follow his reading.

His reading, seems to be absent in the early records. Does this mean the reading is made up? Cooked up by Ibn Mujāhid?

Certainly not.
The literary sources give enough reports independent of ibn Mujāhid of the reading of Ḥafṣ. And these reports clearly agree to such a significant degree, that we can confidently say that Ḥafṣ indeed recited something close to how his reading is recited today.
However, the manuscript record does show us that indeed Ḥafṣ did not enjoy the ubiquitous popularity in the centuries directly after his lifetime, that it has come to enjoy today. Manuscripts can be used to find out when he starts gaining popularity. Nobody has done this yes!
If you enjoyed this thread and want me to do more of it, please consider buying me a coffee.
ko-fi.com/phdnix.
If you want to support me in a more integral way, you can become a patron on Patreon!
patreon.com/PhDniX

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Marijn van Putten

Marijn van Putten Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PhDniX

Jul 10
Ibn Ḫālawayh's (d. 380) Kitāb al-Badīʿ is an interesting book on the Qirāʾāt because it's the earliest surviving work that tries to simplify the transmissions of the readings, and does it rather differently from what becomes popular, the system of Ibn Ġalbūn the father (d. 389) Image
Ibn Ḫālawayh was Ibn Muǧāhid's student, who is widely held to be the canonizer of the seven reading traditions. Ibn Muǧāhid's book is the earliest book on the 7 reading traditions. But canon or not, Ibn Ḫālawayh's book actually describes 8 (adding Yaʿqūb).
Today the simplified system (and the only surviving one) is the "two-rawi canon". Each of the 7 readers, have two standard transmitters (all of them were once transmitter by more transmitters than those two). This system was introduced by ʾAbū al-Ṭayyib Ibn Ġalbūn in his ʾiršād. Image
Read 15 tweets
May 3
NEW PUBLICATION: "Pronominal variation in Arabic among grammarians, Qurʾānic readings traditions and manuscripts".

This article has been in publication hell for 4 years. But it was an seminal work for my current research project, and a great collaboration with Hythem Sidky.
🧵 Image
In this paper we try to describe the pronominal system used in early Islamic Classical Arabic. There is a striking amount of variation in this period, most of which does not survive into "standard classical Arabic".
We first look at the grammarians and how they describe the pronominal system.. Much of this description is already in my book (Van Putten 2022), but I assure you we wrote this way before I wrote that 🥲
Notable here is that Sībawayh prescribes minhū instead of now standard minhu. Image
Read 23 tweets
Apr 21
In my book "Quranic Arabic" I argue that if you look closely at the Quranic rasm you can deduce that the text has been composed in Hijazi Arabic (and later classicized into more mixed forms in the reading traditions). Can we identify dialects in poetry?
I think this is possible to some extent, yes. And so far this has really not been done at all. Most of the time people assume complete linguistic uniformity in the poetry, and don't really explore it further.
But there are a number of rather complex issues to contend with:
As @Quranic_Islam already identified, there are some philological problems that get in the way in poetry that aren't there for the Quran: I would not trust a hamzah being written in a written down poem. This might be classicization. So it's hard to test for this Hijazi isogloss.
Read 13 tweets
Apr 17
Last year I was asked to give a talk at the NISIS Autumn School about the textual history of the Quran. Here's a thread summarizing the points of that presentation. Specifically the presentation addresses some of Shoemaker's new objections on the Uthmanic canonization. Image
Traditionally, the third caliph ʿUṯmān is believed to have standardized the text.

However, in critical scholarship of the '70s the historicity of this view came to be questioned.

How can we really be sure that what the tradition tells us is correct?
This skepticism wasn't wholly unwarranted at the time. The Uthmanic canonization really had been uncritically accepted, not based on any material evidence.

But we now have access to many manuscripts, beautifully digitized, we can test the historicity of these claims! Image
Read 27 tweets
Apr 13
The canonical Kufan readers Ḥamzah and al-Kisāʾī read the word ʾumm "mother" or ʾummahāt "mothers" with a kasrah whenever -ī or -i precedes, e.g.:
Q43:4 fī ʾimmi l-kitābi
Q39:6/Q53:32 fī buṭūni ʾimma/ihātikum

This seems random, but there is a general pattern here! 🧵 Image
This feature was explained al-Farrāʾ in a lengthy discussion at the start of his Maʿānī. This makes sense: al-Farrāʾ was al-Kisāʾī's student who in turn was Ḥamzah's. Surprisingly in "The Iconic Sībawayh" Brustad is under the misapprehension that this is not a canonical variant.

This is irregular, such a vowel harmony does not occur in cases with other words that starts with ʾu-. For example, Q13:30 is just fī ʾummatin, not **fī ʾimmatin.

However this irregular reading is part of a larger pattern of vowel harmony accross guttural consonants.
Read 15 tweets
Mar 20
Those who have read my book on Quranic Arabic may have noticed that I translate The Arabic word luġah as "linguistic practice", rather than "dialect" which is how many people commonly translate it.

This is for good reason: among the Arab grammarians it did not mean dialect! 🧵 Image
In Modern Standard Arabic, luġah basically just means "language", as can be seen, e.g. on the Arabic Wikipedia page on the Dutch Language which calls it al-luġah al-hūlandiyyah.

This modern use gets projected onto the early Arab grammarians like Sībawayh and al-Farrāʾ. Image
But, they clearly do not mean that to the early grammarians. This is clear from statements like Sībawayh saying: faʿil forms that have a guttural consonant as second radical have four "luġāt": faʿil, fiʿil, faʿl and fiʿl.

In English a word or word-form cannot "have" a dialect. Image
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(