Andrew Revkin 🌎 ✍🏼 🪕 ☮️ Profile picture
Aug 1, 2021 10 tweets 9 min read Read on X
With only nine or so vaquitas left in Mexican waters with little control on deadly nets set for a black-market fish, silence is replacing this tiny porpoise's vocalizations. Extinction looms. But the next 6 weeks can make a real difference. Read. Share: revkin.bulletin.com/41778589089738… 1/
Last week I was poised to write game over - that the conservation community should conserve resources for other efforts. I'd kept track via my @nytimes #dotearth blog for years, as numbers plunged from a couple hundred to a handful. China, particularly, seemed immovable. 2/
But in an interview last week, longtime vaquita scientist Barbara Taylor of @NOAAFisheries laid out four compelling reasons why a last-chance porpoise protection push is justified. The remaining handful of vaquitas are wary, fat and healthy, and not genetically bottlenecked. 3/
There's a funding gap of just $178,000 or so - ponder in the context of what billionaires have been spending money on lately - to get 2 vessels on the critical, and largely unprotected, "zero tolerance" core of the vaquita refuge when illicit fishing resumes mid September. 4/
There's plenty @POTUS & @LopezObrador_ can do via trade & security policy, as well, as @VFelbabBrown of @BrookingsInst & others laid out here brookings.edu/blog/order-fro… and here: brookings.edu/articles/resto…. But that'll take time, and there's no time left on the vaquita's waters. 5/
And that's why I just donated to cetact.org, which I'm told is the most direct route to funding crew time to get two vessels on the waters off San Felipe this fall. It shouldn't be hard to raise $178,000 to give the last 🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬 a chance. Here's why..⤵️ 6/
There's no ideological divide. Indeed, the need to save the vaquita may in fact be the only thing that both @LeoDiCaprio, a key force behind the @seaofshadowsSOS film, and right-wing radio host Michael Savage of @ASavageNation agree on. LISTEN here. 🔊 7/
There's lots more in my story, "A Porpoise at the Precipice," on my new #bulletin dispatch, #sustainwhat: revkin.bulletin.com/41778589089738… Please subscribe and share, and do consider donating to the organization above, as I did. 8/
The endangered totoaba targeted by the Sea of Cortez fishing surge, and a drowned vaquita. 9/9 revkin.bulletin.com/41778589089738…
One of the toughest moments for #vaquita conservation came in 2017, when @VaquitaCPR's last-ditch effort vaquitacpr.org at captive management failed (@mongabay news.mongabay.com/2017/11/vaquit…). But there are other options left to pursue: revkin.bulletin.com/41778589089738…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Andrew Revkin 🌎 ✍🏼 🪕 ☮️

Andrew Revkin 🌎 ✍🏼 🪕 ☮️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Revkin

May 9
One problem with this bill is that Vermont is among northeastern states identified in a 2002 study as seeing a rising pattern of extreme scouring precipitation/flooding on time scales long predating fossil fuel emissions. I covered that paper (Noren, Bierman, Steig et al) in the @nytimes. (Video is of the November 1927 great flood event from a fading tropical system).Image
Here's the @nytimes story and the @nature paper: "Millennial-scale storminess variability in the northeastern United States during the Holocene epoch" nytimes.com/2002/10/25/us/…
uvm.edu/~pbierman/clas…
@nytimes @Nature Here’s a gift link to my 2010 @nytopinion column on weird weather in a warming world. CO2-driven global heating is a serious reality but so is extreme climate variability on long time scales. nytimes.com/2010/09/08/opi…
Read 4 tweets
Apr 21
There are a zillion book clubs, and online book chats, but how many communities put on dramatic readings drawing from a nonfiction climate book?
Thrilled to discover that our tiny Maine town is one. A packed house at Lamoine Grange today for a show built on The Treeline by @BenRawlence 1/lamoinearts.orgImage
The performers took on the roles of Saami herders and Siberian villagers and scientists confronting rapid climatic and ecological disruptions, building on the reporting of Rawlence and reminding me repeatedly of the fieldwork of Kari Norgaard. 2/ us.macmillan.com/books/97812502…

I was struck that there was a packed house in the middle of a beautiful, if chilly, spring afternoon here in downeast Maine. Even better with the brainstorm afterward. Will be doing a heap of things, including one of my webcasts to spread this idea. I’d love to know if you’ve seen other events like this.Image
Read 4 tweets
Apr 18
So is there an international criminal investigation under way given that an Ecuador-based company added lead to cinnamon that ended up poisoning American (and other) kids?

"It was eventually determined that the lead was from contaminated cinnamon purchased from a third-party supplier. The FDA has reported that the lead was likely added to the cinnamon to increase its weight and therefore its commercial value." @bmarler.

So what company did this?! Some details from @Coral_TheBeach in @foodsafetynews 1/Image
"Sold under the brands Wanabana, Schnucks, and Weis, the applesauce was made at an Austrofoods facility in Ecuador using cinnamon from Negasmart." "The @US_FDA deputy commissioner for its Human Foods Program, Jim Jones, has said that he believes the cinnamon was intentionally contaminated with lead. Lead can increase the weight of foods." More: foodsafetynews.com/2023/12/offici…
foodsafetynews.com/2023/11/compan…Image
So who added the lead to the cinnamon that got into kids' apple sauce, and is anyone going to jail? @CBSNews's @Alexander_Tin offers some clues:
"@US_FDA says @Arcsa_Ec blamed cinnamon grinder Carlos Aguilera as "likely source of contamination" But citing "limited authority" in Ecuador, it "cannot take direct action" against Aguilera..."
Read 7 tweets
Oct 4, 2023
The prime factor in #sikkimflood appears to be a glacial-lake outburst flood (#GLOF). Get used to that acronym. #climatechange is changing Himalayan ice dynamics in big ways. Vulnerability downstream is enormous. More on another risk factor: increasing dam construction on these meltwater rivers: Pulling together a #sustainwhat discussion with @icimod (and hopefully Rajeev) with help from @kashishds 1/
And the #GLOF threat is not restricted to the Himalayas. Remember August, when a #GLOF surge on the Mendenhall River caused flooding in Juneau, Alaska? A @USGS webcam caught the astonishing build, build, build, flush dynamic. 2/
Here's our 2021 #sustainwhat discussion of a related disaster in the Himalayas - a deadly one-two dam collapse after a rock and ice fall: 3/
Read 6 tweets
Dec 23, 2022
As the Siberian cold spreads, I'm thinking back to how Russia, more than most countries, has weaponized winter - almost always in defense. So much so that foes spoke of "General Winter" as a leader of Russian forces.
Now, by destroying so much of Ukraine's energy infrastructure in his invasion, Putin is using winter cold as an offensive weapon. #PutinWarCrimes
One chapter in the book I wrote with @LisaMechaley of 100 moments in humanity's weather and climate journey explored weather as a weapon, and Russia is the case study. Here's the chapter:
Read 15 tweets
Dec 22, 2022
I would like to run a @columbiaclimate #sustainwhat conversation on #atrocityprevention building on this post and conversations I've held on #fragilestates and the #page21effect (where intelligence briefs list risks, but with no clear prioritization) revkin.substack.com/p/as-russian-a… 1/
Can the U.S. Go From Responding to Fragility to Spreading Resilience? @MathewABarlow, Linda Robinson of @RANDCorporation, @MickeyGlantz @RodSchoonover..
2/
The Pandemic was Predicted - So What?
@RodSchoonover & @Alice_C_Hill #page21effect that impedes effective risk mitigation facing a heap of threats 3/
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(