Rabbi Mendy Chitrik Profile picture
Aug 1, 2021 27 tweets 15 min read Read on X
Day 7 of #TurkeyJewishRoadtrip:

Ephesus, Priene, Milas.

Most people heard of Ashkenazi, Sefardi or Mizrahi Jews. Not many heard of Romaniote Jews: Image
Roughly translated as Jews of the Roman/Byzantine Empire - the Romaniote community preceded the Ashkenazim (est. 1250) and Sefardim (est. 1492).

Romaniote Jews lived, for thousands of years, in Asia minor - Anatolia - some Jews in Izmir and Istanbul are their descendents.
In day 4 of #TurkeyJewishRoadtrip we visited the #Sardis Romaniote synagogue, together with Imam @OsmanDe07800433

Today we went to see #Ephesus and Priene...
Jews have lived in Ephesus in antiquity. Although the synagogue has not be excavated (yet) - we know from Josephus that Jews were granted the rights to build a synagogue, to donate to the Jerusalem Temple, to keep the Shabbat and the Kosher dietary laws... Image
Apparently a Jew in Ephesus also experimented in olden day graffiti and etched in stone for eternity a Menorah on the steps of the great Celsus library... Image
If you have not been to #Ephesus yet, you should definitely put in on your touring/vacation schedule... The impressive ruins, the massive theater, the agora... Here are just some sample... ImageImageImageImage
Who's statue is this?! Image
An hour's drive from Ephesus and we arrived in #Priene... Priene was a deep water port at some point in history - until the Maeander/Menderes river silted up... Image
Impressive ruins - Chaim isn't much into archeology, especially at 43° centigrade - Eliezer however was full of suggestions on how to get these massive boulders one on top of each other... ImageImage
But #Priene's jewel for me is of course the synagogue... Built in the 4th century and served the Romaniote Jewish community for close to 500 years.
Some more pics of the Priene Synagogue... I think the last time anyone prayed Minha therewas last year on my visit with @EliChitrik... ImageImageImageImage
Another hour on road and we arrived in #Milas. This very ancient charming city was really fun to walk around in... ImageImageImageImage
We headed first to the Jewish cemetery. After a few wrong turns - we found the place! A big part of the cemetery is really looked after very nicely thanks to a wall built around most of the cemetery by the local authorities @muglabsb @MilasBelediyesi Image
At the cemetery we saw headstones dating 1710 (and some maybe earlier) up until 1987... ImageImageImage
Some headstones are very ornate, and some are just a slab of concrete... ImageImageImageImage
For the most part, this part of the cemetery is well kept.... ImageImageImage
Unfortunately beyond the walls of the cemetery there is construction in preparation of a new housing project and a new road - it was sad to see that some graves were violated and human bones were crushed... ImageImageImage
Eliezer and Chaim volunteered for the Mitzva and tried to bury the human bones that we found...

It would be great if the @muglabsb and the @MilasBelediyesi would take more caution in respecting the souls of the Jewish citizens of #Milas... Image
On the topic of cemeteries: I will, inşallah, dedicate a special thread for our visit to the holy Gürçeşme Cemetery of Izmir - that cemetery deserves a thread for itself (I know that still have to talk about Shabtai Tzvi, I will get to that as well ınşallah).
Jews believe that a grave is "bought" for eternity - and disturbing the dead, is taking from someone whom we cannot pay back to, (helal edemiyor ve etmiyor)... This is why I feel it is important to visit these holy sites when possible...
We went to look out for the synagogue... After some inquiries apparently the synagogue of Milas was torn down a few years ago, and an education center was built above it... Image
However, just around the corner we found this house... Image
It's current residents didn't appreciate us intruding... Image
However the previous owners left their mark right above the door! "Yosef De Abuahav of Milas 5640 (1880)" it says in Hebrew... Image
Eliezer and Chaim snuck in, after which I reluctantly did the same... and found thag the slanted nails marks for where a Mezuza was once placed are still there... Image
A worried neighbor came out and warned us of ghosts, spirits, scorpions and snakes that reside in the abandoned house... So we quickly got out (who wants to mess with any of these?!)... Image
"Jews were always here" tells us the 'Teyze' - "They were very good people, we love Jews very much" she said after telling us about her 93 year old neighbor and his children...

See, #coexistance of Jews and Muslims isn't just a slogan for conferences, it is and was reality.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rabbi Mendy Chitrik

Rabbi Mendy Chitrik Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @mchitrik

Dec 17, 2021
Aron Kodesh, or Holy Arc, is where the holy Torah is placed in a synagogue...

'Arcs of Turkey' - from synagogues of @tyahuditoplumu in the following thread.

Enjoy and Retweet!

Shabbat Shalom!

Starting with the oldest one, from Sardis, an 1800 year old Aron Kodesh:
Rabbi Izak Peres in front of the Aron Kodesh at the Tiferet Yisrael - Yenikoy Synagogue of Istanbul
Rabbi David Sevi in front of the Aron Kodesh at Bet Yisrael Şişli, İstanbul
Read 20 tweets
Dec 14, 2021
"Are there Ashkenazi Jews in Turkey?!"

I hear this question often after I introduce myself as the rabbi of Istanbul's Ashkenazi community - after all, Turkey is the bastion of Sefardi Jews!

So what's the story of the Ashkenazi community of Turkey? Thread 🧵👇
When Sefaradi Jews found refuge in the Ottoman Empire after the Spanish expulsion of 1492 and Portugal 1497 - and trickles of Anusim, former converts, in the centuries after - They were welcomed by the two local Jewish communities:

Romaniot and Ashkenazim.
Romaniot Jews are the Jews of the Roman Empire - who lived under Byzantine rule since antiquity. They spoke Greek and were often call Gregos by other Jews.

Ashkenazi Jews came from Central and Eastern Europe, after 1250. Yiddish speaking, sometimes called Ungaros, for Hungary.
Read 27 tweets
Oct 25, 2021
An interesting find in a heirloom book...

Thread 👇for #Judaica lovers...

This book, Responsa by Rabbi Yosef Colon, known as Maharik, (Sadiklov 1834) belonged to my Great-great-grandfather, Rabbi Nathan Gurary of Kremenchuk, Ukraine...
Confiscated in 1920' with his huge library when the communist regime nationalized his tobacco factory - it ended up in a flea market in Odessa, when his son in law, my Great-grandfather Rabbi Eliezer Karassik saw it en route to Istanbul...
My grandmother, Rivka Chitrik, told me that upon seeing the familiar name stamped on the books - her father dumped all their cloths, filling the suitcases with the books instead... As many as they could... Eventually the books came, via Istanbul, to their home in Tel Aviv...
Read 10 tweets
Sep 17, 2021
The Mikve (Ritual Immersion Bath) at Bet Yisrael synagogue in İstanbul

Thread👇
It is customary for men to immerse in a Mikve before Yom Kippur - for lack of time on the eve of Yom Kippur - here is a little bit about Mikve's of Turkey...

When we visited Kilis on the #TurkeyJewishRoadtrip at Mehmet and Büşra's house we were told about the Mikve in the Hamam:
The 500 year old Eski Hamam served all inhabitants of Kilis - including the Jewish population, who used the Mikva, located in a dedicated room, in specific hours of the day...

See here about our #TurkeyJewishRoadtrip visit to Kilis:
Read 13 tweets
Aug 9, 2021
Night 15 of #TurkeyJewishRoadtrip:

Adıyaman

I usually share a day post, but meeting with Metropolitan Gregorios Melki ÜREK of Adıyaman and conversing with him in Aramaic, deserves a special thread...
Metropolitan Gregorios looks over a small, dwindling community in the Adıyaman area - a community that is native to this region, as he explains "We are Arameans, we are from this region, so we speak, write and read in Aramaic. This is our home".
The Metropolitan and I walked around the streets of Adıyaman, he wearing his usual bright red clerical clothing, me wearing my Kipah, and it seems that everyone knows him "we love the people" he says, and they sure reciprocate in kind...
Read 8 tweets
Aug 9, 2021
Day 15 of #TurkeyJewishRoadtrip:

Kayseri

Did you know that Kayseri, aka Mazaka,
the capital of the Kingdom of Cappadocia, was in antiquity home to a very significant Jewish community?
The Talmud, discussing the laws of mourning over great tragedies, writes that King "Shavor Malka" killed in Mezget Kayseri 12 thousand Jews! But never the less, Shmuel, one of the great sages and confidant of Shapur did not mourn upon hearing the news!
The Talmud goes on to explain that it is because "they brought it upon themselves!" - it wasn't a real 'tragedy' - because somehow they deserved it...
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(