IMCrit Profile picture
Aug 5, 2021 11 tweets 3 min read Read on X
ICU stories: Middle-aged pt with cirrhosis presented to the ED with abd pain and underwent Hartmann's procedure (colectomy - end-colostomy). Next am, pt was hypotensive on rising levo gtt (0.24 from 0.1) and ⬆️lactate (3.4 -> 6.7). S/he was positive 8 liters in 12 hours 😱
After reading the chart, I was almost certain that pt would be congested/fluid intolerant (after 8 liters+ fluid balance...). When I first walked in the room, BP was 90-100/30-40 (radial a-line), HR 120-130 and this is what the monitor showed:
I did POCUS: hyperdynamic LV, no pericardial effusion, RV OK, IVC very small (images not shown). I threw some color Doppler in the LV and this happened:
"A lot of color"! -> high velocity signals in the LV cavity and probably the LVOT. US windows not good (pt on the vent; subcostal views impossible given recent laparotomy), so I tried some continuous Doppler in the LVOT:
☝️Voila! A dagger-shaped signal with max velocity of 6 m/sec. I was not interested in finding exactly where the obstruction was. I bolused ivf, started vasopressin 0.04 and gave 5 mg iv metoprolol. In a few hours, lactate was normal and levo was ⬇️by 2/3.
Patient seemed to benefit from being managed as one with LV outflow tract obstruction. I would have never tried iv metoprolol in a pt on industrial doses of pressors. In the past, I might have tried esmolol that can be dc/ed fast. POCUS makes us smarter at the bedside. To be fair
the initial monitor view gave me pretty much the diagnosis or at least raised my suspicion of it. Do you see how weird it looks? Do you see the 2 systolic inflections?
Let's look closer. The obstruction to the ejection of blood from the left ventricle creates the 2nd systolic peak
This is what happened after fluids were given and heart rate was controlled. The dynamic obstruction to ejection of blood from the left ventricle disappeared
Take home messages:
1. Looking at the arterial/CVP waveforms can be sometimes very helpful, in fact more helpful than the exact BP/CVP values
2. We should not automatically equate a positive fluid balance, even a significant one, with fluid intolerance or venous congestion
3. We should always consider LV outflow tract obstruction in hemodynamically unstable patients
DOI 10.1007/s12630-009-9174-y

Thanks for reading!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with IMCrit

IMCrit Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @IM_Crit_

Jun 12
Noninvasive ventilation (NIV) has been standard of care treatment for acute exacerbation of COPD (AECOPD) for > 30 years. In this article, the authors describe an evidence-based algorithm of the initiation, titration, monitoring, and weaning of NIV in AECOPD
NIV initiation: Image
NIV tritration: Image
Read 12 tweets
Jun 10
An interesting study was recently published in @yourICM and the authors made some sensible - IMHO - suggestions about how to use echocardiography to guide fluid management in critically ill patients

They recognized 3 scenarios where echo can predict fluid responsiveness (FR):
1. Do NOT fill

2. Fill

3. Optional fill

I tried to tabulate their scenarios and recommendations/limitations extracting only information from their paper and not adding any thoughts of mine

Here is begins:
1. Do NOT fill when echo shows: Image
Read 13 tweets
Jun 7
ICU ID Secrets (following up on my post* from last week):

Ten things to remember about methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) polymerase chain reaction (PCR) nasal swabs:
1. The MRSA nasal PCR is mostly helpful in patients with pneumonia or at least high suspicion of it since nasal colonization correlates with MRSA presence in the rest of the respiratory tract
2. The MRSA nasal PCR is mostly useful for its high negative predictive value (NPV) for MRSA pneumonia. The NPV number to remember is 95%. The use of MRSA PCR screening in pneumonia can reduce length of stay and antibiotic costs
Read 20 tweets
Jun 3
ICU Snaphots:

Following on my post on underdamping from a couple of days ago: there is a misconception that underdamping is seen only in arterial lines

This 👇 was seen in a central venous catheter today:
This is what I saw when I did the flush (square wave) test: Image
After the flush test, the oscillating wave should fade in 1-2 waveforms. If it takes > 2 = underdamped. If it takes 0-1 = overdamped

No easy way to fix it but sometimes it helps if u add air (not a good idea) or blood in the line. I pulled some blood back from the CVP lumen: Image
Read 6 tweets
May 4
ICU stories:

Patient underwent laparoscopic colectomy complicated by R paracolic abscess (s/p drainage) & fascial dehiscence. On post-op day 8, at 20:30, he called out for his nurse stating he was having trouble breathing & back pain. He was diaphoretic w O2 sat in 70s at 2 l/m.
He was placed on 6 l/m nasal cannula w O2 sat 92%. A rapid response was called at 20:45. Pt was then placed on a non-rebreather mask; stat chest x-ray, ECG & blood gases ordered. CXR was later read as "small L basilar atelectasis". ECG (was read as "no acute MI"): Image
An ECG from a few days earlier: Image
Read 19 tweets
May 2
ICU Hemodynamics:

This is a CVP waveform: Image
Assuming we are at end-expiration (the phase where CVP is least affected by the intra-thoracic pressure), at which point should we measure it?
There are other options: v, mean etc. However, most would measure CVP at the base of the "c" wave, especially if they wanted to use CVP as a surrogate of '"preload". OK, now we are in a slippery slope, since "preload" & "fluid responsiveness" are vague concepts. Having said that,
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(