yuri 🇰🇷 Profile picture
Aug 12, 2021 15 tweets 5 min read Read on X
10 most common Mac Terminal commands (in my experience)

A thread 🧵
1⃣ pwd

Use the `pwd` command to find out your current location in the filesystem/name of the folder currently open in your terminal window.

After executing `pwd` command, terminal tells us that we're in `Yuri` directory inside of `Users` at root
2⃣ ls

The `ls` command is used to list all the folders/files under the location specified, or if not specified, under the current location.

Here, we're listing all the directories/files inside `~`
We can add options/flags to our `ls` command, such as:
`ls -l`(-l stands for long)
`ls -a`(-a stands for all)

You can put options/flags together:
`ls -la`

Here, terminal will output more information about the listed files when we use the `-l`option.
3⃣ mkdir

`mkdir` command stands for 'make directory'. This creates a new folder on your current location (current directory).

Use the `mkdir` command with the name of the new file you want to create:
You can also make multiple directories. If you want to add spaces in directory name, write between quotation marks:
4⃣ cd

`cd` command stands for 'change directory'. This allows you to change your current location (current directory) to another directory.

Type `cd` command with the file/directory name you want to change to.

Here, we changed from `~`to `for_twitter` directory
5⃣ touch

`touch`command creates a new empty file.

Type `touch` with the new file name.

Here, we created a new HTML file inside the `for_twitter` directory.

We verify what's inside the `for_twitter` directory with the `ls` command.
6⃣ rm, rmdir

`rm` stands for 'remove'. `rm` command removes a FILE from the system completely.

`rmdir` stands for 'remove directory'. It removes an empty directory.

Below, we removed the index.html file with `rm` command. It's the same thing for `rmdir`.
You can quickly delete a folder/directory and its contents with the `rm -rf` command.

the `r` in `-rf` stands for 'recursively' & `f` stands for 'force.

So, be VERY careful with this command, as it's forcing deletion. Using this wrongly can cause system damage.
7⃣ cp

`cp` command copies a file from one location to another.

Type `cp` with the name of the file you want to copy and the name of the new file.

If you want to copy a directory/folder, use the `-R` option/flag.
8⃣ mv

`mv` command stands for 'move'. The `mv`command moves a file to another directory/folder, or (if directory name doesn't exist), it renames the file.

Below, we moved the index.html file inside `dir2`
9⃣ man

`man` command stands for 'manual'. It displays all the information about commands that we can run on the terminal. It shows all options/flags you can use.

Below, I typed `man ls` and terminal shows me the manual of the `ls` command.
🔟 sudo

`sudo`command allows you to run programs with admin privileges. You'll be required to enter your personal password to execute these commands.
Thank you for making it this far!!

I make threads/tutorials about things I've been learning so feel free to tune in! @codingyuri

Special thanks to @LinuxSeb for inspiring me to make this post & to learn more about the CLI😆 She makes Linux content/tutorials!!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with yuri 🇰🇷

yuri 🇰🇷 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @codingyuri

Sep 11, 2022
fuck javascript loops and their scope, they're confusing AF➿

so i've made it easy for y'all !!

here's a quick mini-tutorial & some things to keep in mind while you're learning loops 👇
BTW, i wrote a more detailed article about loops, but read this twitter post for a quick read.

yurilee.hashnode.dev/fucking-javasc…
Loops execute a block of code inside them depending on a condition. If the condition is true, the block of code will execute. If the condition is false, the code won't execute, & it'll exit the loop

There are 3 kinds of loops: the while loop, the do while loop, and the for loop
Read 12 tweets
Feb 8, 2022
CSS box model is fucking hard

here's a brief explanation for dummies like me:

A thread🧵

#100Devs 💪
WTF is CSS box model?

basically, just a term to talk about design and layout.

everything on a webpage is a fucking box.

the CSS box model is a box around every HTML element. it consists of the actual content, padding, border, and margin.
from the inside out, the order of the box property is content, padding, border, and margin.

on the image below:
- the actual content is highlighted in blue
- padding is light green
- border is highlighted the darkest color
- margin is orange
Read 13 tweets
Jan 2, 2022
I’ve seen people sell Web3/blockchain courses at a ridiculous price💀

so here are some FREE & GOOD resources to learn web3👇
don’t let your FOMO spend thousands on a course when there’s so many excellent free alternatives

the Web3 space is still so new that there isn’t guarantee of anything yet...it isn’t realistic to be job ready after a 3 week course that cost you thousands😅

Here are my favorites:
1. blockchain.berkeley.edu/courses/

Blockchain at Berkeley gives a great introduction to cryptocurrency and the blockchain.

IMO, it’s great for beginners who don’t know shit, as it helped me have a grasp of what the hell all of this is.

It really painted the whole picture for me!
Read 6 tweets
Dec 21, 2021
WTF is crypto and blockchain??

Explained from the very start (for the real fucking beginners) 😆

A thread 🧵
With Web3 trending, there's a lot of people trying to get into the crypto and blockchain space.

There's plenty of resources for 'beginners', but as a person with NO technical background at all, most of it seems like technical jargon...what if you don't know any of that shit?😂
Friendly reminder that I'm still learning!

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and give me any advice, be nice though lol😂

Also, I'm hosting Web3 and blockchain conversations/threads on the Ponder app, so join me if you're interested!!

getponder.com
Read 24 tweets
Oct 14, 2021
How improving your writing skills helps advancing your tech career

A thread 🧵
Writing isn't really a skill that aspiring devs think that'll help their careers.

Most of us spend all of our time learning new languages and frameworks, but improving your writing skills advances your tech career and helps you standout in the tech industry as well!
In this thread, we'll mostly talk about the benefits of technical writing, & a few tips on how to become a better writer.

Benefits ✅
-Writing === Learning
-Networking
-Problem solving
-Team communication
-User empathy
-New career opportunities

Tips:
-Get to the point
-Clarity
Read 26 tweets
Oct 3, 2021
5 tips for web dev newbies
My advice.

A thread 🧵
1️⃣ ONLY COMPARE YOURSELF TO YESTERDAY'S YOU

As long as you learned something new today, you've made progress.

It can be a single word, concept, whatever small it may be, as long as you know something today you didn't know yesterday, you're making progress✨💘

👇
This is THE secret to a healthy mindset, don't be too hard on yourself. Learning something new in itself is already fucking hard!!!

Everyone takes their own time and has their own way of understanding things. Your journey is YOURS alone.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(