Adam Rae Voge Profile picture
Aug 31, 2021 14 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Takehiro Tomiyasu is a Gunner! Here's what you need to know about the 22-year-old fullback/center back hybrid. (1/x)
First of all, he doesn't only play RB. Tomiyasu joined Bologna starting in 2019. He's played both CB and RB since, although most of his transfer links have him as an RB. Last year he played each of the back 4 spots, and occasionally in a 3 atb, but settled in as RB by year-end.
I've seen my previous chart make the rounds today. Takehiro ranked a little lower than the likes of Emerson, Mbabu, etc., when I did my study because he was dragged down by his offensive numbers (lack thereof). I've wondered aloud whether it was because of the time split at CB...
Here's why you bring in a Tomiyasu. This is the same chart, isolating for defense and ball progression and dropping the stats for goal/shot contributions. Very secure defender who isn't dribbled past often, wins duels in the air. Good at pressing, secure in the tackle.
A little deeper dive on Tomiyasu's defensive stats. He tackled more than half the dribblers he took on, a 90th percentile performance. He was dribbled past 13 times in more than 2700 minutes last year. Bellerin: 29 times in <2,100, Cedric: 16 times in 746 minutes.
More on Tomiyasu: He won 56% of his duels last year. That's a huge jump from any of Arsenal's three. It also put him in the top handful of RBs I looked at. In the air: 58%, Chambers led the Arsenal options with 53%, but then...we just saw Cal's prowess in the air Saturday.
(By the way, Tomiyasu's 94 tackles + interceptions last year would have led Arsenal last season, although a couple of midfielders beat him in the per-90 stat. He had 82 the year before, so it's no fluke)
Here's what I'll want to learn about TT: What can he contribute to an attack? His numbers there are low, as illustrated above. But is that because he can't, or hasn't been asked to? Here's his heat map; as you can see he's not getting involved near his opponent's goal often.
(Here's Bellerin's, just so you can see the differences, particularly in the attacking third)
Tomiyasu completed just 10 passes into the penalty area all last year, about once every three games. Arsenal's three options each did that about once every 90 minutes. But he completed 4 passes into the final third/90, something none of Arsenal's RB did. That points more to role.
Look at Bologna's other fullbacks, and sure enough, none of them are completing penalty-area passes. Here's their leader in that stat at FB: Lorenzo de Silvestri. He completed one pass into the penalty area every ~75 minutes or so. Just short of Cedric.
Based on all the above I think you'll likely see Tomiyasu tuck into a back three while Tierney bombs up the left. Maybe even more action on the right coming from Ben White's CB spot or the midfield? It will be interesting to see how Tomiyasu is deployed.
Another stat I think backs this: Tomiyasu completed 52% of his long balls last season, successfully playing three per game. That's better than any of Arsenal's RBs. Bellerin, for example, was accurate 43% of the time, but he only played about two long balls every 180 minutes.
So, that's what I can tell you about the big Japanese international. From what little I've seen of him, he's a high-IQ player, agile, good with the ball at his feet. Add in stability and defensive reliability, and I think he's someone who could be of value to Arsenal's back line.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Adam Rae Voge

Adam Rae Voge Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @adamvoge

Oct 31, 2022
Only a handful of games separate Arsenal from the World Cup, and all of us from spending six weeks guessing what kind of reinforcements Arsenal might bring in. Who's looking especially good out there these days? Let's take a look (thread) Image
Before we get started, my customary disclaimer: This thread has been carefully compiled based only on statistical performance, as tracked by the parties named below. I always recommend a healthy dose of the eye test to balance stats. I'll try to add context I'm aware of.
Now, methodology: This thread explores potential depth/future starters at Arsenal's defensive midfield position, currently occupied by Thomas Partey, and also known as the No. 6 role. THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT ALL 6s RIGHT NOW, but their statistics provide hope they could be.
Read 35 tweets
Aug 22, 2022
Pedro Neto could be Arsenal's myster winger! What would the young Portuguese international bring to the carpet? Let's take a look below (1/x)...
Neto came through the Braga system in Portugal. He made his senior debut at just 16, but ended up playing only about an hour of senior football for his first club, which included a goal. Image
Neto was loaned to Lazio for two seasons (and then purchased by Lazio), but he again figured very little in the senior club, making five appearances totaling 60 minutes. Image
Read 11 tweets
Jul 12, 2022
Arsenal are seemingly interested in Lucas Paqueta, with links popping up from increasingly credible sources each day. So what's this guy's deal, and what would he bring to Arsenal? Let's run down some facts on him (1/x)...
First thing: I'm firmly in the bag for Paqueta and have been for some time. So, you know, keep that in mind. I'll try to be unflinchingly honest, though.
One of the first things you'll hear anyone talk about with Paqueta is his position. Is he a winger? midfielder? 10? false nine? The easiest answer is "yes," as he's played all over the place. Going back to his teenage breakout season in Brazil, though, he was a left CM.
Read 17 tweets
Jul 9, 2022
Not that I actually expect it to happen, but no to €65m for Paqueta, just no.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 29, 2022
The transfer window is dead! Long live the transfer window! With dreams of Raphinha seemingly gone, whom else could Arsenal target? I analyzed the numbers of 44 big-five-leagues wide players, and I'm gonna shoot 'em at ya rapid-fire. Image
My disclaimer: This is 100% based on stats. I'm a proponent of the eye test and recommend you watch (full games, not comps) these guys before forming your opinions.

My criteria: High output, great ball control, creativity. Weighted for league and age. Ideal=25 +PL experienced.
Because Raphinha was the target, I tailored my formula to elevate him in the rankings, meaning similar profiles would rise as well. I'm also going with all tier-one career numbers to weed out inconsistent performers.
Read 29 tweets
Jun 28, 2022
If Arsenal lose out on Raphinha, which kind of seems like it's happening, it would be tough to replicate the day-one impact. That said, here are some names to consider from my March thread on the position:
Obviously. With the wage bill likely an issue, it may be a good idea not to get too invested in this one, no pun intended.
Luis Sinisterra is my favorite winger who's not in the larger leagues.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(