Biotech2k Profile picture
Sep 14, 2021 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
#Cancer_Immunology Immune Surveillance

Introduction to tumor immunology.
1/ The immune system is the primary surveillance system for preventing cancer. We have mutations occur all the time, but it only evolves into cancer once it learns to escape the immune system.
2/ The tumor begins when a cell gains a mutation that allows it to grow and replicate faster then normal. Otherwise, these cells are completely normal cells in every way. We call this hyperplasia or a benign growth.
3/ Natural Killer (NK) cells are the primary cells for detecting damaged or defective cells. They have pattern recognition receptors on their surface for Damage Associated Molecular Patterns (DAMPs).
4/ As cancer cells grow and mutate, the mutated self proteins can become antigens which the immune system can recognize and use to mount a response. These are called Tumor Associated Antigens (TAA).
5/ The T cells can recognize these new mutated self proteins and mount a cell mediated response against these tumor cells. As the T cell kill tumor cells, the Antigen Presenting Cells (APCs) will clean up the dead cells.
6/ This allows the APC to present new antigens from the tumor cells to the T cells and activate a further response. This called Epitope Spreading. As the tumor cells die, they release more tumor antigens for the immune cells to use to continue to kill more tumor cells.
7/ The tumor can only survive in this hostile environment if it develops mutations that allow it to escape this process of immune surveillance.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Biotech2k

Biotech2k Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Biotech2k1

Apr 27
🧵Looking at $RXRX Platform:

Here I am going to look at the platform for @RecursionPharma and attempt to value this company as a sum of the parts.
1/ The Recursion platform comes in the technology pieces. They are the Data Collection, Mapping and Machine Learning. I will look at each of these parts. Image
2/ The first part of the platform is Data Collection. This is their automated lab where they run 2 million experiments per week and record that experimental data into their super computer Biohive. Image
Read 14 tweets
Apr 18
The Biotech Report:

This covers all my companies since my last report in March. I will cover my 3 new companies here too.
Read 15 tweets
Apr 15
🧵The Little Book of Biotech: Part 5

This is going to be for companies not inside the $XBI. I will post companies here as I come across biotech names and check them out.
$ABSI is a company using synthetic biology to create antibodies and AI to model and design antibodies. They are working on generative AI platform to allow for antibody development. Its a massive bubble at 2x valuation. I love it at the right price.
$EXAI is a company that I own that is working on AI across all stages of drug discovery. They have 2 platforms with single cell biology genomics and AI drug discovery.
Read 6 tweets
Apr 13
🧵The Little Book of Biotech: Part 4

This is going to be part 4 as I ran into the thread limit for the number of companies each thread will show. Make sure to go back and check out Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.
$FATE is a iPSC cell company working on CAR-NK and CAR-T therapies. I have owned them for many years, but opted to sell them recently as they have failed over and over again in the last several years. Time to move on.
$SANA is one of my top picks working in the cell therapies space. They have an allogeneic CAR-T program which is promising. They also have a regenerative medicine platform starting with islet cells for diabetes.
Read 34 tweets
Apr 11
🧵The Little Book of Biotech: Part 3

This is going to be part 3 as I ran into the thread limit for the number of companies each thread will show. Make sure to go back and check out Part 1 and Part 2.
$RXRX is actually my top pick right now. They are using robotics to do experiments and collect data to feed into their super computer and use AI to develop drugs. This is the future of drug discovery. It should, over time, reduce costs and improve rates of success.
$VIR is another company working in infectious disease, but not necessarily vaccine. They are focused on things like HIV and Hepatitis. If it were not such a competitive space, I would probably add it to the list. The company trades at $1.2 bil with $1.6 bil cash.
Read 32 tweets
Apr 9
🧵The Little Book of Biotech: Part 2

This is going to be part 2 as I ran into the thread limit for the first set of companies. Don't forget to look at my first 30 companies.
$FOLD is an old ERT company working in rare diseases which changed into gene therapies. I use to own them for a while so I know they have had some success and some failure along the way. Its a solid company, but I am moving beyond gene therapy to gene editing now.
$RVMD is working on the mTOR and MAPK pathways for oncology. They have a very impressive pipeline of drugs. Their science is strong and the balance sheet has $1.8 bil cash. I had owned them for years, and I regret selling. They go back on my list to advance to doing more DD.
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(