Tara Moriarty Profile picture
Sep 14, 2021 7 tweets 4 min read Read on X
For example, see here hospitalizations/100K for Saskatchewan compared to Alberta (far right column).

These data are from @covid_canada Tracker.

SK is in worse shape for hospitalization than Alberta, with a lot fewer healthcare resources.
And here is the rate of full vaccination in Saskatchewan compared to Alberta and other Canadian regions.

The only region worse is Nunavut, which has major challenges with access due to its remote location.
Actives cases/100K are as high in Saskatchewan as in Alberta (look at the colour on this map from @covid_canada, not the numbers, which are total active cases in each province).

The preceding map was from @GovCanHealth
Here are cases/100K over last 14 days from @GovCanHealth

Saskatchewan is higher/comparable to Alberta.
@GovCanHealth Here are deaths/100K over last 14 days from @GovCanHealth

Alberta and Saskatchewan are the same
And a source of profound concern, Saskatchewan has seen by FAR the highest per capita rate of COVID-19 infections among First Nations peoples of any other region in Canada.

Cc @KindrachukJason @awong37 @angie_rasmussen in case this helps with advocacy for Saskatchewan

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tara Moriarty

Tara Moriarty Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MoriartyLab

Jul 5
Summertime Suite of Scenarios - Part 1

At the Calgary Stampede, two traditions are going strong

– Pancake Breakfasts and Big Barbecue Lunches.

But … how risky is it to go? A blue-bordered image by COVID-19 Resources Canada with inset frame. Title: Summertime Suite of Scenarios Image: colourful graphic of dense group of people figures Text in a blue box on top left: Big Crowds! Activities in packed places •Pancake Breakfasts, standing in long lines. •Big BBQ Lunch, seated at long tables. Part 1 of 2 Footnote: *Data source: covid19resources.ca and Risk Scenario Estimator.  Image bottom left: Galloping horses across a dusty field Text in a blue box on bottom left: Activity Risks Calgary Stampede week activities can be high risk. Your N95 mask keeps you galloping...
You have to start the day with pancakes, of course.

That means lining up, allotting about a half hour to move up, tantalising aromas of the cooking food entertaining you, till you get to have your own plate full.
After a successful venture obtaining delicious food, could be pancakes or a pile of barbecued ribs, burgers and sides, our second scenario looks at sitting down and enjoying it.
Read 38 tweets
Jun 24
Canadian COVID Forecast

Jun 22-Jul 5, 2024

SEVERE: AB, NB, NL, PEI
VERY HIGH: CAN, BC, North, ON, SK
HIGH: MB, NS, QC
MODERATE: none

About 1 in 84 people in Canada are CURRENTLY infected. Image
Please bear with me. It's been nearly a year since I've done this thread myself, since volunteers usually tweet it out on Forecast weekends from my account.

I'm doing a shorter version of what usually goes out, without ALT text (sorry, sorry!).
Prévisions de COVID pour le Canada : 22 JUIN-5 JUIL, 2024

GRAVE : AB, NB, TNL, ÎPÉ

TRÈS ÉLEVÉ : CAN, CB, Nord, SK

ÉLEVÉ : MB, NÉ, QC

MODÉRÉ : aucun

Environ 1 personne sur 84 au Canada est actuellement infectée Image
Read 47 tweets
Jun 22
A post about:

🔵Canadian COVID-19 data reporting
🔵How the Canadian COVID-19 Forecast has been changing in recent months in response to disappearing data
🔵How we're preparing to do a Forecast even if we lose all weekly reporting except waste water from @GovCanHealth Image
@GovCanHealth This will be a long post, and we have a three hour meeting starting in 20 min, so you might want to bookmark the thread, because I'll be doing that thing where I ramble on and off for hours.

And I'm deeply angry, which means I'll be on a tear for a while.
@GovCanHealth I won't translate this thread to French as I write, but if you want a French translation to share with people who don't read English, please let me know.

I (with help from translation volunteers) can do this, but it might take an extra day if the thread is long.
Read 170 tweets
Jun 9
Canadian COVID Forecast Jun 8-21, 2024

CANADA

MODERATE (no change)

About 1 in every 143 people infected

Compared to lowest point of pandemic in Canada:

-Infections ~5X higher
-Long COVID ~3X higher
-Hospitalizations ~5X higher
-Deaths ~3X higher This image describes the Canadian COVID Forecast for June 8-21, 2024 by COVID-19 Resources Canada. Canada’s COVID Forecast outlook is MODERATE (no change) with a COVID INDEX SCORE of 4.0 About 1 of every 143 people is infected. Estimated infections this week: 122,200-261,800 How much higher are key indicators compared to the lowest point in the COVID pandemic in Canada? Waste water, infections: MODERATE; 4.6X higher Long COVID estimate: MODERATE; 2.6X higher Hospitalizations, ICU: MODERATE; 4.8X higher Deaths: MODERATE; 2.7X higher HOW TO HELP: EVERYONE: UPDATE vaccines every 6 months WEAR ...
Prévisions régionales sur la COVID-19 se trouvent ici :

Canadian COVID Forecast Jun 8-21, 2024

NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR

HIGH (increasing)

About 1 in every 162 people infected

Compared to lowest point of pandemic in Canada:

-Infections ~13X higher
-Long COVID ~6X higher
-Hospitalizations ~9X higher
-Deaths ~6X higher This image describes the Canadian COVID Forecast for June 8-21, 2024 by COVID-19 Resources Canada. Newfoundland & Labrador’s COVID Forecast outlook is HIGH (increasing) with a COVID INDEX SCORE of 9.0 About 1 of every 162 people is infected. Estimated infections this week: 1,540-3,300 How much higher are key indicators compared to the lowest point in the COVID pandemic in Canada? Waste water, infections: VERY HIGH; 13.0X higher Long COVID estimate: HIGH; 5.9X higher Hospitalizations, ICU: HIGH; 8.5X higher Deaths: HIGH; 5.5X higher HOW TO HELP: EVERYONE: UPDATE vaccines every 6 months WEAR ...
Read 17 tweets
Jun 9
Canadian COVID Forecast: Jun 8-21, 2024

SEVERE: none
VERY HIGH: none
HIGH: BC, NB, NL, NS, PEI
MODERATE: CAN, AB, MB, North, ON, QC, SK

About 1 in 143 people in Canada are CURRENTLY infected. This image shows a series of gauges with the June 8-21, 2024 COVID Forecast scores for Canada, the provinces, and territories. Read from left to right:  Canada: 4.0 - MODERATE Alberta: 3.2 - MODERATE British Columbia: 7.1 - MODERATE Manitoba: 3.0 - MODERATE New Brunswick: 7.0 - MODERATE Newfoundland and Labrador: 9.0 - MODERATE North: 4.0 - MODERATE Nova Scotia: 5.4 - MODERATE Ontario: 3.4 - MODERATE Prince Edward Island: 8.0 - MODERATE Quebec: 3.1 - MODERATE Saskatchewan: 3.1 - HIGH  All COVID Forecast input data and sources are available here: (https://covid19resources.ca/covid-hazard-ind...
Notre aperçu national en français :

WHAT'S NEW THIS WEEK?

We've updated how we work with waste water data to improve the dynamic range of infection estimates (@Wikisteff will be happy).

They'll now go higher when they're high, and lower when they're low (like now).

All scores back to 2022 have been updated.
Read 12 tweets
May 22
How safe is swimming indoors?

SCENARIO BASICS

Have you been wondering how safe swimming at an indoor public pool can be??

While outdoor swim season is here for some and approaching for others there are still inside pool facilities available and in some places abundant. A blue-bordered image by Covid-19 Resources Canada with inset frame.  Title: How safe is Swimming Inside? Image:  photo of a young man at an inside swimming pool, flying off of a rope swing, in mid-air. Text in a blue box on top left:  Wear a mask on deck? 30 minutes in the pool. What are risks in water with no mask?  Should I stay on deck, masked? How fresh is the air? Footnote:  *Data source: covid19resources.ca and Risk Scenario Estimator.  Image bottom left:  Adult and child wearing N95 masks.  Adult says: Activity Risks, Pool air quality is minimal. Poor air, no mask, in pool: $23* Goo...
Nan takes the grandkids to the pool in all weather. She used to teach aquafit, back in the day, and would so love to jump in and join them!

But how risky is that?
This scenario is for 30 minutes in the pool, with no masks, obviously.

Nan has to decide if it’s possible to join the kids in the pool and get a longed for water workout, or is it safer to stay on deck with her mask on.
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(