Jason Kint Profile picture
Sep 22, 2021 9 tweets 4 min read Read on X
In a company under global scrutiny for ethical lapses and a harmful core biz model, you don’t place your loyal lieutenant Andrew Bosworth in charge of all tech unless you’re preparing for war. Act accordingly. bloomberg.com/news/articles/…
This is the language of a company in PR crisis mode. As far as I know, Elliot Schrage (took fall for Definers) also still “works there.” A full exit leads to more questions - this is window dressing and a big deal.
And not to state the obvious but this would make me very uncomfortable if I testified to @CommonsDCMS.
ps it's a comically bad idea for the new internal "Privacy Organization" - set up as a result of the $5 billion settlement - reporting into Andrew Bosworth. mlexmarketinsight.com/news-hub/edito…
And a reminder Bosworth writes memo Facebook leaks. I always thought this one was prob co-written and leaked intentionally in Jan 2020 to shape minds after the FTC settlement. It ran in NYT. A few refreshers. Bosworth also likes to discredit the press similar to Zuckerberg.
He’s willing to rewrite history into a narrative more friendly for his company.
And state things that are blatantly false.
And in the spirit of last week’s Facebook Files from WSJ, he also hates the comparisons to nicotine although as @Moonalice pointed out nicotine never undermined democracy or incited genocide etc etc.
and worth watching this brief video for a look into the person now running technology for Facebook and all of its global impact.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jason Kint

Jason Kint Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jason_kint

Sep 26
Oh come on, Alex Heath. It's one thing to let Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg spread misleading history as part of your getting access and an exclusive interview but it's another thing to do it for him. You stated this for him rather than fact-checking on what actually happened? /1 Image
I don't even know what you're talking about here. Google wrote a check for a few million to DOJ to eliminate the claim allowing for a jury. The case wasn't settled, it's literally wrapping up this week. It was Facebook who has paid more than $5B in settlements to the govt. /2 Image
On those $5B+ in settlements, they were due to what you're helping him rewrite history. Literally THIS WEEK, 3 cases moved in DE Chancery, DC Appeals and the freaking US Supreme Court. Facebook WROTE THIS to SCOTUS who granted cert in 9th circuit case day after Nov elections. /3 Image
Read 8 tweets
Sep 19
Woah. Fun. Buried in DOJ adtech antitrust exhibits posted overnight is a highly sensitive summary of Google's monitoring and spinning of the DOJ's search antitrust complaint in 2020 - yes, the landmark case the US DOJ just won. Keep this in mind as you read my thread. /1 Image
Ingredients: a project code-name -> 'BeeGee,' 'fake privilege' as one of Google's legal eagles has called it only to be scorched by Courts, and a Google blog post (AKA PR spin) dutifully shared by influencers and press which is Google's key goal (Facebook does this, too). /2 Image
At the top of the wins is getting the WSJ Editorial Board to weigh in. Google accomplished this with a "deft" briefing by its chief legal officer, Kent Walker. Google also noting many of its blog spin arguments were used verbatim. Yeaaaay Google PR team. /3 Image
Read 12 tweets
Sep 17
just found some eye-popping stuff in google discovery under the examples of substantive chats (not deleted). you ready? it's between two key VPs (33+yrs collectively working at Google) and strikes at the intersection of privacy and antitrust as they began cookie deprecation. /1
All yellow highlights are mine. I am going to attempt to translate what is going on here based on my knowledge of all context around this chat and having reviewed and studied the company closely over the years. Correct me on anything you think I've got wrong please. /2
We know from prior reports, when Google announced 3rd party cookie deprecation, it also dropped super low quality methodology research (for G) that this would drop publishers' ad revenues by 52%. It appears they hoped this would cause "chrome to do something different." /3 Image
Read 12 tweets
Sep 11
Day 3: USvGoogle. Wow. “Google imposed debt on publishers” in damning evidence. After opening day with evasive top Google exec who ran adtech for both sides of market (but said “I believe so” to header bidding happening and AdX having 20% take rate), fireworks with DOJ expert. /1
Impressive DOJ expert Dr. Ravi systematically walked through conduct that had the interest conflicts lights blinking like fire alarms in Court. First, he testified 53% of Google's wins in auction were due to "First Look" (basically jumping in line to block) in Google's AdX. /2 Image
We saw an email exhibit explaining to leadership that "launching AdX into non-DFP servers destroys G's advantage leading to AdX losing access to overall queries with less valuable inventory begetting lower CPMs causing pubs to decrease G's access to their inventory. WTF. /3
Read 10 tweets
Sep 8
And so it begins. Tomorrow. US vs Google 2 antitrust trial. Google has had at least three off record briefings for press in the last month and just now posted its own propaganda blog post which no reporter should share the raw link without proper context. Just report on it. /1 Image
Google also posted its version of our adtech explainer. DCN focused on today and tomorrow but didn’t directly mention Google (only its conflicts of interest). Google focuses on today vs newspapers and takes credit for the web…as it likes to.

DCN on left, Google on right. /2

Like I said with Search after reading that complaint and knowing the business history, Google is screwed with adtech, too. DOJ and its attorneys did their homework, they know their stuff after years of study and discovery. I’m looking forward to the next four weeks. /3
Read 8 tweets
Aug 27
Motions hearing over. As expected, Google, and its Chief Legal Officer, Kent Walker, had an incredibly bad day as Court heard arguments over its abuse of privilege in the USA v Google adtech pre-trial motion. Scorched (imho) from the bench, “a very big problem for Google” /1
Since it’s no longer a trial, Court noted it wasn’t necessary to rule today but she made crystal clear, quotes as I captured them, “I’m comfortable saying this is not the way a respected corporate entity should function. A clear abuse of privilege.” /2
She said Google’s actions were “absolutely inappropriate and not proper” and said as each witness goes to the stand in trial, “I WILL DRAW INFERENCES.” and “will take into consideration as you call witnesses.” /3
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(