Gail Simone 💙💛 Profile picture
Oct 1, 2021 30 tweets 19 min read Read on X
Hey, guys.

HEY, YOU GUYS.

1/
It’s another thrilling expedition into thrilling expeditions!

It’s a quick #TableTopGails! Woot! Huzzah!

Now, I have been swamped but the games have been piling up, if you sent some, I WILL get to them! :)

Meanwhile LOOK AT THESE MONSTERS RIGHTCHERE!

2/ Image
These are all games I have been dying to have, been waiting forever, I think all are brand new. Woot!

Also, who is singing in the background?

3/
Okay, first, some of you may know my favorite 5e setting is the amazing HUMBLEWOOD, by @HitPointPress (full disclosure, I also am doing comics with them because I am a fan). It involves birds and animals in a fantasy setting, and this is a RUFFIN plushy!

4/ Image
Next from @HitPointPress is this FREAKING GORGEOUS resource and setting book, THE ISLANDS OF SINA UNA. it uses the mythology and storytelling of pre-colonial Philippines, and I kid you not, once you open this one, you will be HOOKED.

It’s FASCINATING.

5/ ImageImage
This sourcebook reminds me of the great classic sourcebooks, and it’s just beautiful inside, but it’s also full of soul and history. I keep saying I’ll read ‘just one more bit.’ Great art, tight writing, HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.

6/ ImageImage
This is a sourcebook that feels like more than just random stuff. I love it, it’s all new to me. Incredible!

Follow @HitPointPress to find out how to get it!

7/ ImageImageImageImage
As always, for legal stuff…these games are gifted to me, I am not paid anything to endorse or recommend anything, these threads are not monetized in any way. I just enjoy sharing my newfound love of games with everyone. Opinions are my own. :)

8/
Also, please feel free to jump in with questions or comments, that's the funnest part for me. AND the publishers or developers often show up to answer your questions, even if it happens a bit later.

I LOVE BOARD GAMES YOU NERDS!

9/
Okay, most of the rest of these games came from my friends at @RavensburgerNA. I love their games, they hire from the best people, and they truly care about creating an EXPERIENCE in their games, they don't just grab a license and change the art.

Let's look!

10/
These are all games I have been waiting for, so excited they are finally out! First is MARVEL VILLAINOUS: MISCHIEF AND MALICE.

If you game at all, you know VILLAINOUS is a massive worldwide hit for a reason, it’s fun as hell and changes every time you play.

11/ ImageImage
This one is Marvel, the second set for that world, and you can mix and match with the previous Marvel set (but not the Disney ones). It features Loki, Madame Masque, and my favorite, M.O.D.O.K.! I really enjoy this game, great for quick, fun strategy!

12/ Image
Asking VILLAINOUS players out there...who is your favorite of all the bad guys to play?

13/
This is going to make a LOT of fans happy, I have not seen the show so I can’t speak to the fidelity of it. But @RavensburgerNA always gets this stuff right. I opened it up and even as a noob, it just looks FUN and inviting.

14/ ImageImage
High quality components and board!

15/ ImageImageImage
Next is ECHOES, THE COCKTAIL, listed as an ‘audio mystery game.’ This is getting played TONIGHT. You dl an app, and the wordless cards produce audible clues when scanned. Brilliant idea, nicely packaged and designed!

16/ ImageImageImage
These next two, I have been DYING for. The first is the long-awaited sequel to one of the best board games ever made, it’s HORRIFIED: AMERICAN MONSTERS.

Horrified was one of the first games that really started my recent deep dive into games!

17/ ImageImage
The original featured the classic Universal monsters and is still a top five game for my family. This sequel features urban legends of North America, like Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, and more. I am DYING to play this.

Look at the minis!

18/ ImageImage
But a bug part of the fun of the HORRIFIED games is the the design, which gives a genuinely suspenseful atmosphere…take a look at these components. Have not played this yet cause it just arrived, but I CAN’T WAIT.

19/ ImageImageImage
And the final game from @RavensburgerNA, man oh man, I have been waiting for this since it seems like forever.

ALIEN: FATE OF THR NOSTROMO.

I love the original film so much, and this game seems to be designed for fans like me. YES.

20/ ImageImage
I opened it up, and there’s a lovely little shock I don’t want to spoil, but it made me scream a bit with delight.

The components look fantastic.

Man, thank you for this, @RavensburgerNA!

21/ ImageImageImageImage
Again, I trust @RavensburgerNA with these beloved licenses because they always go that extra mile to make them not just play well, but FEEL right.

Aliens and Horrified and Echoes are all getting played TONIGHT!

:)

22/
Okay, this last one, I knew nothing about. It is from @NorthStarGames, who make some excellent family games, like Wits and Wagers, and Say Anything, which my family really enjoyed, and the much loved OCEANS and EVOLUTION, both terrific strategy games.

This is a new one!

23/
And simply put, the Deluxe edition, the one I was sent, is one of the most beautifully designed and boxed games I have ever opened. It’s a two-player co-op game called PAINT THE ROSES RED. It will be on Kickstarter October 12th…but this is something special, guys.

24/ ImageImage
First, the big box is full to bursting with beautiful components. The art, design, and FEEL of everything is incredible. And the trays and displays are also custom and perfect.

25/ ImageImage
A genuine step above the standard. I don’t know much about the game yet, but the nifty mechanic seems to be that some information is hidden from the players each game, making the co-op elements still surprising. Again, look at the components. Glee!

26/ ImageImageImage
My understanding is, you play characters from the Alice books, and become royal gardeners, and if you mess up, it’s ‘off with your heads!’

I love the Alice imagery, and again, this game is LOVELY to look at, from one of my favorite publishers, @NorthStarGames!

27/ ImageImage
That's it for today's #TableTopGails! Thanks for reading along!

Thank you so much to

@HitPointPress
@RavensburgerNA
and
@NorthStarGames!

Again, if you have questions, please ask, someone will likely answer. :)

28/
And as always, the reason I am doing this is, discovering the joys of board gaming helped my family a LOT during the lockdowns. They boosted our imaginations, our strategy, and our just plain silliness. They may do the same for you! Pick a game from #TableTopGails and TRY it!
LOTS of games out there are cheap and simple to learn, and may be just the thing to help make your day a little brighter.

If you DO try some games, I would love to hear what you are playing and how you liked it!

Thank you everyone. LOVE YA!

BYEEEEEEEEEEE

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gail Simone 💙💛

Gail Simone 💙💛 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GailSimone

Apr 30
I remind everyone of this each year, apologies for repeating myself.

This Saturday, May 4th, is @Freecomicbook Day! Please go and enjoy and have a wonderful time. Some great shops have sales, cosplay, events, guests, even treats planned for you, PLUS FREE COMICS!

1/
Howerer, this is just a gentle reminder that, unlike what many think, the stores DO have to pay for the comics they give away for free. They pay for them in bundles. This year there are dozens of individual comics being given away...imagine how much that might cost!

2/
But that's not all. They also pay (often outrageous) shipping on all those books.

Stores often pay for extra employees, decorations, advertising, cosplayers, guests, and lots more. It is EXPENSIVE.

3/
Read 8 tweets
Apr 22
Here is my central core thought while writing Deadpool.

It is no secret that I don't like endlessly 'zany' Deadpool. He was described as 'serial killer Daffy Duck' to me early on, that's the version I don't care for.

1/
I also don't care for endlessly bleak, 'nothing matters,' kill everyone Deadpool.

I think that could be a thousand other characters, and it's far from the magic potion that makes Deadpool fun.

2/
So the Deadpool is a subverted version of both of those.

He is a goddamn loudmouth, whose humor comes from tragedy.

But he's so endlessly high energy that it saves him from being insufferable and dreary.

And ALSO so internally sad and broken that he's not a constant punchline.
Read 10 tweets
Feb 20
Today is @Dwayne_McDuffie's birthday. He would have been 62 today, if he hadn't passed unexpectedly one day after his 49th birthday.

To me, and most everyone who knew him, Dwayne was a light we all orbited in someway. There are many great creators.

Dwayne was a giant.

1/ Image
I've told this story before but it can't be overstated. I absolutely would not have this career I love, and this life I love, without Dwayne.

I am far from the only person he lifted up and put on the stairway out. Out of poverty, out of an unfulfilling career.

2/
You may have heard some or all of this before. But to this day, when I think of Dwayne McDuffie, I am a bundle of terrible and wonderful emotions. I smile at the fact that I got to meet him at all, and then I cry because his loss is so vast, it still seems insurmountable.

3/
Read 30 tweets
Jan 28
I don’t dislike the Star Wars sequels at all, I find them pretty antertaining and they did a lot right.

My objection is the things they set up and completely squandered.

Chief among them is Finn, whose story could have been an absolute banger.

1/
Finn leading a Stormtrooper rebellion, that’s massive, a sea change and a real evolution of ideas that could have expanded the lore tremendously.

But also Poe, his story isn’t even a real story, there’s no arc.

2/
And the lead characters of the first three films all die with a desperate whimper.

It’s sad because all the elements were there. The set-up is magnificent.

But only the Rey/Kylo story really lands, and it lands by cheating a lot.

3/
Read 10 tweets
Jan 2
One time at SDCC, Dan DiDio invited me to lunch at a beautiful seafood restaurant on the bay. He had been given a list of properties that WB owned, many of which DC would have had the ability to adapt to comics.

It was STUNNING. I had no idea, I don't think Dan knew, either.

1/
He said that this list could do something for DC that hadn't really been the case in a long time, it could open up a ton of genres with already-popular IP.

Many were very dormant concepts, but many still had active fanbases, and some were huge.

And we could use them.

2/
So there were a lot of things people know, like MORTAL KOMBAT and the various Bugs Bunny-type things, but the list just went on and on and on, things like the Three Stooges and tons of toy lines and action movie franchises. It was an incredible list.

3/
Read 16 tweets
Dec 5, 2023
So, we were getting off the plane in Toronto, and the convention organizer picked us up. He's a lovely fellow, could not have been nicer.

As we were walking to his car, he mentioned that we had been in Montreal recently and had a great time.

1/
He asked if we liked the city of Montreal and we said absolutely yes.

My husband, @rocketspouse, adds, "However, that was also where we saw the Parade of Dongs."

2/
@RocketSpouse Which meant, we got out of the Montreal Con one day and there was a large parade of bicyclists, all of which were buck-nekkid nude, top and bottom.

Which was unexpected, and has been the subject of many a good joke since.

3/
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(