CrémantCommunarde🦋☀️🖐️ Profile picture
Oct 2, 2021 9 tweets 4 min read Read on X
What is #DowntonAbbeySyndrome?
A 🧵
1. This is my Scottish Papa, Joseph Nicol Bell - 2nd from the right in the back row. He lied about his age to sign up to fight in WW1. He was injured in the Somme.
2. He was a Labour man all his life, and worked as a forester after the war. He was in the Home Guard during WW2.
3. He and my Nana lived in a council house all their lives (although in the 80s my Mum and Dad, who by then had done quite well in life, bought it for them so the last decade of their lives they had no rent to pay) (That's my Mum, middle left).
4. In the 80s Nana and Papa rented their telly from Radiorentals. We were up there for summer holidays, and their telly was on the blink.
5. My dad said "Don't worry. I'm going through the town. I will pop in and tell them."
Papa refused to let him. He said if they complained about the telly, Radiorentals might take it off them...
That is #DowntonAbbeySyndrome.
6. I've called it #DowntonAbbeySyndrome because my grandparents and parents were strong royalists who Knew Their Place. Even though my Dad did well in life, they knew what their position was in the pecking order. Class myths constantly reinforced by media-forced deference.
7. We are taught to bow and scrape to our betters from an early age. We are taught to "know our place" from birth. We might work hard to succeed, but we will never be part of that elite stratum of society that governs us. That is the biggest con trick every played.
8. Reject #DowntonAbbeySyndrome.
Call it out when you see it.
Boycott costume dramas and class propaganda that the media force-feeds us.
Know that you have agency, you have rights, and you just as entitled as the Bullingdon Boys to rule this country.
Disrupt the status quo.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with CrémantCommunarde🦋☀️🖐️

CrémantCommunarde🦋☀️🖐️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @0Calamity

Mar 3
I haven't watched this for year, but now rewatching it, it is like the IDF used it as a training video.
Let us, please, use the second part of this documentary as our own blue-print. We cannot allow Netanyahu and his administration to escape justice in the way Rajapaksa and his government have escaped.
37m25s into the second video (link below), one David Miliband of this parish:
"There was a propaganda battle clearly taking place in which it was very important for the Rajapaksa government to insist on the "whiter than white" nature of its own approach in order to get through this final phase, final weeks, ultimately final days of the war".
Miliband, in a released document, called the Sri Lankan government "liars". Is there no statesman prepared to stand up and call the Israeli government liars? Is there no statesman with sufficient gravitas and stature on the world stage to prevent this sickening repeat of history, where governments commit war crimes in plain sight and walk away with complete impunity?
channel4.com/programmes/sri…
Read 4 tweets
Oct 29, 2023
Was pondering earlier that, in many respects, those who suffered the ordeal by fire during the Corbyn years, being daubed as antisemites when they weren't, have actually had an enormous impact. 1/
2/ I distinctly remember the first time I was called an antisemite. It was on here, of course, and led to fear and soul-searching and self-reflection and apology at various levels over different periods.
3/ but gradually, as it all unravelled people began to see what was going on. And now nobody gives a monkeys if, in the face of standing up for peace and justice and equity, bad actors call us nasty names. Because lives are more important. Peace is more important.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 24, 2023
As someone who spent a stint studying Third World Development, before switching to Law (then, subsequently did an MA in Reconciliation and Peacebuilding [brazen appeal to authority. Shut up!] what I see happening in the UK now is a Structural Adjustment Policy 1/
2/ SAP's were the way in which countries from the developed North intervened in the less-developed South: "We will provide funding if you roll back on public services, education, etc., focus on restructuring to the benefit of big business through transport infrastructure" etc.
3/ Thing is, vampire capitalists ran out of poor countries they could exploit. So then they started on the poorer of the rich EU nations - who remembers the PIGS? Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain in the last global recession, and how they were bled dry by oligarchs?
Read 7 tweets
Nov 9, 2022
Buddhist thread for the day:
When my libel case really kicked off in Nov 2019, I took myself up to my Buddhist centre and chanted for 4 hours straight to find a way through. I had spent the summer in a state of high anxiety as I knew failure would bankrupt me. 1/
2/ While I was chanting I suddenly remembered this Gosho ("writing worthy of respect") from Nichiren Daishonin nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Conte… A warning against begrudging one's fief.  Your letter dated
3/ Shijo Kingo, the addressee of the Gosho, was a Shogun warrior who had been told by his Lord that if he remained a disciple of Nichiren he would lose his lands. Nichiren warned him that his life would be in danger, and losing his lands was a comparatively small price to pay.
Read 9 tweets
Nov 3, 2022
So anyway, there was this woman who came from a nice middle-class background but found herself in difficult circumstances. She still had her nice middle-class family to support her, and the - then - excellent social security safety net. 1/
2/ She was a single mum, having separated after an apparently abusive relationship with the father of her child. Fair do's. Given the safety-net, she spent her days sat in a cafe in Scotland writing. The stuff she wrote was good, actually.
3/ In fact, it was so good that she got a book deal with Bloomsbury and it touched a zeitgeist and she made a shedload of money. Good for her, all things considered.
Read 9 tweets
Oct 28, 2022
Who remembers The Man In The White Suit - Martin Bell? He stood as an anti-corruption independent and took Neil Hamilton's seat off the Tories in 1997. 🧵
2. Of course, being high-profile due to his journalist background, he was able to get a lot of media attention. But there is nothing to stop any of us standing, either as an independent or for one of the #PAL parties, on an anti-austerity, anti-corruption platform locally.
3. People rattle on about FPTP and "helping the Tories" if you don't vote Labour. But Labour is, frankly, little better than the Tories now. Barely a ciggie-paper between them on lots of key policies. So how would a Lab MP be any better for you, your family and your community?
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(