Trinh Profile picture
Oct 4, 2021 β€’ 21 tweets β€’ 8 min read β€’ Read on X
Good morning from Poland πŸ‡΅πŸ‡±β˜€οΈ ! Shall we speak a bit about Asian economics, namely Asia & oil today?
Before we talk about Asia & oil, let's go through data we didn't (Friday was a holiday in Hong Kong & I was flying & don't forget that mainland China is off this week). Remember that China manufacturing PMI (state) was bad on power outages + demand.

But EM ex Asia doing better.
Notably, India is doing better, another month of expansion - we'll speak about why that will put some pressure on the current account. Indonesia great! Again, IDR is my favorite EM Asia FX at the moment for reasons u know - got better mobility + amazing trade + high yield. Good!!
Vietnam still doing very badly but that was September & the heat it got for shutting down factories will lead to normalization/living w/ the virus. Other ASEAN also doing better. Look at Malaysia. The Philippines also a bit better.

Overall, weak but trend is on the mend!
Now that you see some activity indicators, let's talk about oil & Asia. When people say that in the macro world, 2 things: impact on CPI and of course the balance of payment - can u afford high oil prices & what meaning to FX etc. What are the CPI trends? Not that high like PPI.
You can juxtapose Asian CPI with Western CPI (I'm in the West now but the East of the West, as in Eastern Europe), which went way higher & many much higher than in Asia. US CPI on par w/ India for example!!! But not just the US.

Anyway, back to Asia. PPI higher in Asia though!
Which will dominate? Higher costs via supply shocks or demand still dampened by Covid etc? We did a quantitative analysis & found that historically, Asian CPI is much more impacted by demand shocks.

We say (& been proven right so far) that CPI not a huge concern if demand down.
Now, how do u link news like higher oil prices/power shocks to structures of economies & distilling losers/winners.

1st, let's look at trade in Asia (chart show net): We import commodities & export manufactured goods for the most part as we're people rich & resource poor.πŸ‘ˆπŸ»

So?
The largest deficit of commodity goes to China, Japan, South Korea etc. Basically the traders. They take their comparative advantage of people + capital & import commodities & add value to it & then export goods like textiles, electronics, cars, chips. China biggest trader of all
When oil/energy/commodities go higher, that means Asia's input costs go higher (by that I mean manufacturers') & u see that in PPI.

Note CPI hasn't gone up much as China CPI sub 1%. So? Manufacturers feel SQUEEZED. Hence PMIs terrible. Need to raise prices or reduce production.
News about China power outages is about how the industry is structured. Coal is key for electricity (>70% of electricity) but domestic coal production reduced + imported coal prices went higher + prices suppressed so few incentives to produce more for smaller players. So outages.
And that story is played out across the world for places with higher demand for power/commodity/energy but supply suppressed for many reasons (low investment due to change of energy strategy to less coal & more green etc). Choices must be made between prices & quantity of energy.
These aren't good choices. If u lower quantity consumed not through higher efficiency but sheer outages, then u got lower output of production/consumption (e.g. China). If u allow firms to raise power prices, then u got higher costs everywhere. No matter what, here are the losers
The losers are the net importers of fuels (orange in chart is fuels). They are everyone in Asia except Australia, Indonesia, and Malaysia (Brunei too but I don't use it). Tough choices ahead. Look at India. Not a huge trader but 3rd largest importer in Asia for consumption. And?
I explained last week that India source of electricity is coal (and also import oil for other uses) & coal reserves down. Meaning they have to face higher domestic auction prices or import expensive coal. Beyond coal, oil import is expensive too. Plus India demand is recovering!!
Preliminary data shows that merchandise exports rose 21% in September to USD33.4b, while imports jumped about 85% to $56.6, the trade ministry said. Oil imports surged 199% to $17.4bn!

Rupee weakened as a result. But don't despair, India should get decent capital inflows to help
And this is no BOP crisis (the ability to pay for imports) as India got plenty of reserves + capital flows likely decent.

Anyway, WINNERS? I pick Indonesia. Malaysia + Australia too but let me explain why not as good.
While Australia is the largest commodity trader in Asia - massive - it is mostly iron ore where it is getting its foreign FX. And iron ore is down as China curbs steel production + outlook on real estate sector meh (have u heard of Evergrande?) So? While fuels gain, iron ores sag
Malaysia also got goodies like natural gas etc but it also has tons of manu so its gains on natural gas is mitigated by the manufacturing sector sagged by higher input prices. Either way, still better off than the rest.

Indonesia is a clear gain. Got oil, natural gas, palm oil
You can see it in the bond market, FX etc that Indonesia is doing well & it remains my fav

Btw, u would have known this already if u followed my ASEAN supply chain note where I went through each country's trade structure.

U must know structure to decipher cyclical trends πŸ€—πŸ‘ˆπŸ».
Btw, equity analysts are cutting target prices of footwear stocks on supply issues on 4 October.

@Trinhnomics wrote a note on 12 August highlighting this will happen as ASEAN got Covid!!!

β€’ β€’ β€’

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
γ€€

Keep Current with Trinh

Trinh Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Trinhnomics

Jul 24
India unveiled its FY25 budget yesterday (btw, they have another one in 6 months) & it was very much a fiscal consolidation, jobs, and responding to people's beef about the woeful labor market (Modi lost seats in Uttar Pradesh).

Before I talk about the Budget, let's talk about India labor supply & demand. Ready?Image
As you know, India is the most populous country in the world today & will be even more so in the future.

Let me put it a different way, by 2040, one out of 5 people will be Indian.

So what happens to India matters because it's a fifth of the world population by 2040. Image
India will have more people than China or the same as China and the US combined.

Yes, a lot of people. That's beautiful (generally referred as demographic dividend assuming that we have jobs for them) and highly problematic for India (high joblessness and civil unrest), Indian politics and also how to manage this massive supply of people (skilling them, finding jobs for them etc).Image
Read 31 tweets
Jun 18
As a follow up to that podcast, Bloomberg had a story that just came out that blew my mind. I knew it but they really dug deep.

This is a story about economics, resources, comparative advantage & the choices we make.

Nickel. What do you know about it?

bloomberg.com/features/2024-…Image
First, nickel is a material that has to be DUG out of the earth & process. Some easier (colder nickel in Russia) & some harder like wet & warm places like Indonesia where you have plenty of it but it's the processing that's difficult.

Here comes China.
The mining & processing of nickel are energy intensive. And more importantly, for Indonesian nickel, it was considered too low grade to do & China had breakthroughs in a technology called high-pressure acid leaching (HPAL). "Low-grade nickel ore is placed into pressure vessels, where it’s treated with sulfuric acid and heated. After that, the nickel that separates out will be suitable for batteries, once it’s refined"Image
Read 12 tweets
Jun 17
China new home sales fall further & while some may say that the real estate is now not so important for China, it remains a key driver of wealth effects & that is negative. Meaning, the data dump that we will get in 10 mins will likely show a further misaligned economy where consumption falters while supply rises.
This will add to further tensions with the West & even the South as China will need to export that excess supply, driven by policy to rise in the value chain, or to vertically integrate its supply chain, to the rest of the world.

Chinese corporates will increasingly have to do it via tariff arbitrage, as in third country export or building factories where they want to sell.
Some say it doesn't matter as Chinese firms gain market share.

Actually, it does matter. Employment matters. So unless they can get Chinese workers to manufacture goods in third country or in the country/region of export, over time, employment demand will fall in China for manufacturing.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 14
I just listened to this & took some notes. Allow me to share it in a thread. Worth for all interested in EV, Indonesia, Nickel, China etc.
Indonesia now has 55% of global nickel production & home to the world's largest reserves.

Why does this matter? First, what is nickel used for?
Nickel, before EV & the use of it for battery specifically, is used for stainless steel, which you use for everything from pans to etc.

Nickel pig iron (NPI) is a low grade ferronickel as a cheaper alternative to pure nickel.

Class 1 nickel is used in EV batteries & it's much purer.
Read 15 tweets
Jun 5
Good morning Asia!

Instead of a landslide, we got earthquakes, Modi & the BJP got the most seats but much less than they benchmarked (400) & less than 2019 (303) at 240. To govern, they need to work with fickle allies to operate a coalition government.

This will require a much more consensus driven governance.
That may be positive or negative depending who u are. Meaning, in the short-term, forming a government takes priority over long-standing reforms that are already politically difficult when they had the government. We may have more fiscal welfares & so if we continue with the same capex, fiscal deficit may widen. Or we may have less capex than before. Irrespective, this area will be watched carefully. Under Modi, grain & fertiliser subsidies remain large & was promised to be in place.

Note that India fiscal deficit has consolidated as of late but remains large. What has changed is the quality - higher tax rev ratios & more capex & less subsidies as share of GDP
Some say that a coalition won’t change as it is still Modi in change. But that is IF a coalition stays the course (he got some really fickle allies) & this that if adds to risk premium in the short-term.

Irrespective, India fiscal is in a rather decent shape so we have a solid foundation to work with here.
Read 5 tweets
May 13
This article in the FT doesn't make any sense. The author argues that Modi fails to create job for low-skilled people, esp labor-intensive manufacturing. It also faults Modi for its high-end growth (services, high-tech, infra, etc)

But then it ends with saying, well, don't bother to even develop manufacturing and just work on service exports.

Wait a minute. How is India going to generate jobs? ft.com/content/c4631d…
Btw, all the critiques of India makes sense. The issue I have with Rajan and also Congress is their solutions.

They don't have one. Literally. Rajan tells India to forget about trying to do manufacturing & focuses on services.

India exports a lot of services. Manufacturing is the weak spot, not services!!! And if u want a lot of jobs, u need labor-intensive manufacturing.
A country with such a large population needs to growth via all sectors - services, manufacturing, agriculture etc. You can't leapfrog development & go to services.

India & the Philippines have tried that. Not working & hence need to include manufacturing & infrastructure building.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(