Schrödinger's Sneetch Belly Profile picture
Oct 10, 2021 11 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1/ I'm clearly feeling intense nostalgia this morning, and I'm pulling out the five CDs we had on a CD carrousel when we were just engaged and moved in together. Together, these CDs made up the soundtrack of our sale days.
2/ Honestly, at the time these were the only CDs we owned. I had a ton of records, but due to space we got a CD player and never set up the turntable.

I don't know that any of them are even the artists' best work, but they do hold a special place in my heart.
3/ CD #1: Perfectly Frank, Tony Bennett

A recording of Sinatra standards, but in deep, *deep* torchlight stylings. Great for melancholy rainy days. Image
3/ CD #2: The Glory of Gershwin, Various Artists

The CD that came with the player. Gershwin standards sung by big at the time artists: Sting, Cher, Elton John, Meat Loaf, Peter Gabriel, Lisa Stansfield, etc. All to swooning orchestrations by Beatles producer George Martin. Image
4/ CD #3: Loved Ones, Ellis & Branford Marsalis

Simple arrangements; the father & son duo are the only musicians on the entire album. Wistful and - in places - oddly danceable. Image
5/ CD #4: The Long Black Veil, The Chieftains

Typical Chieftains fare, with various guest artists on vocals - including the Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Sinéad O'Connor and Van Morrison. Image
6/ CD #5: I Love Everybody, Lyle Lovett

Lovett's first real non-large-band album, featuring stripped-down demo versions of songs that didn't make it on to his earlier albums. Also my wife's introduction to his music, and still her favorite of them. Image
7/ One last note. One surprise of my early engagement was that all of the songs on these albums actually had lyrics, and that they weren't obscure- my wife knew them all.

Oddly, we'd been raised on the same songs. But she came from a musical theater family, whereas ImageImage
8/ I came from a jazz instrumentalist family. So the songs were so familiar to each of us that they were family, but our concept of them couldn't have been further apart. We quickly came to appreciated one another's versions, and now we live with both styles playing in our home.
9/ And if that's not the best definition of marriage I've ever come across, I don't know what is.

/ end nostalgia rant
*salad days

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Schrödinger's Sneetch Belly

Schrödinger's Sneetch Belly Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RTodKelly

Aug 29
Everything about the Trump Arlington story is bananas, but maybe the *most* bananas part was the actual plan itself: to secretly film a fake established memorial event & then claim Harris refused to attend.
talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/trumps-…
You've likely already seen reports that the campaign assaulted a woman who worked for the cemetery after she tried to tell them what they were doing was against the law, as well as reporting that they'd created a fake state event.
But the whole scheme of secretly creating a fake holiday, illegally filming a fake state ceremony, all to pitch a claim that Harris refused to go because she hates the troops is just... I dunno.

And then in the middle of all of that to take *this* photo by the graves. Image
Read 6 tweets
Aug 18
holy s**t Image
If you didn't know (and why should you, you're a normal person), Howell is a town that holds symbolic importance to white supremacists. And not, "well in American everyone is a white supremacist;" like, the literal neo-Nazi and Klan member white supremacists.
And to be clear, it's not like, say certain parts of Idaho. It's not a place where extreme militant race orgs headquarter; it's just a town they pay homage to, because one of their 'greatest' third wave Grand Dragons was from there.

As far as I know, Howell isn't (cont)
Read 9 tweets
Aug 14
1/ This morning my wife got a voicemail from the US Marshalls office asking her to call back on an urgent matter. She googled the phone number showing on her phone to verify it was from the US Marshall's Oregon brach.
2/ My wife called back with me on speaker, and the officer said my wife had missed a jury summons and now had a contempt of court warrant, but that all she needed to do was come to the Marshall's office and reschedule for another court date. Which was weird, but not *that* weird.
3/ He gave us the address for the Marshalls office in PDX.

Then he said that she would also need to either post a bond or do 10 days of prison for not showing up. And then, as you can imagine, a whoooole lot of flags went up on our end.
Read 9 tweets
May 10
1/ Here's a claim that is both true and highly misleading.

The sociopaths referred to in the tweet are the Mises Caucus, which took control of the party in 2022, and they are indeed terrible, awful people.

But what about the party before that?

IOW, it's time for a true story! Image
2/ This anecdote is from about 12 years ago at the site which was still called the League of Ordinary Gentlemen. It was a site where liberals, conservatives, and libertarians mixed and argued about s**t.

At one point some dude showed up on our site and, well...
3/ Let's just say he was a thing.

(Quick cautionary note: some disturbing stuff ahead.)

The guy was a self-proclaimed Libertarian, and at that point he had achieved a small amount of internet fame by publishing a Washington DC travel guide. Of sorts.
Read 11 tweets
Apr 4
1/ Probably not necessary, but as y'all are going to be seeing a lot of these claims this week - that Ashley Biden's diary was left in a hotel room not stolen, and that said has a passage about Joe Biden molesting her - it's probably worth taking a quick look at what's what. Image
2/ First off, the claim by Project Veritas that Ashely left it in a motel room is what the kids call a "lie." It was stolen by Aimee Harris from Ashley's home for the express purpose of selling it.

How do we know this? Because Harris confessed in court.
nytimes.com/2022/08/25/us/…
3/ The second claim - th one about Biden molestin Ashley 0 revolves around a 112 page pdf that was posted on FB a few weeks before the election, which may or may not have been from Ashley's diary.

Later, someone posted this screen shot of a page they claimed was from that PDF. Image
Read 6 tweets
Dec 19, 2022
For those without a NYT subscription, George Santos - the incoming Wall Street exec/philanthropist Congressional Rep for the GOP from Long Island - appears to be... completely fictional?
But wait, there is *some* public record of the man! Santos is currently wanted he committed by law enforcement authorities in... wait for it... Brazil, where he used to live.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(