Adam Wathan Profile picture
Oct 15, 2021 โ€ข 35 tweets โ€ข 13 min read โ€ข Read on X
What's the actual best floor planning tool I can play around with for redoing my office? Hard to find the good stuff, this whole category is SEO'd into oblivion ๐Ÿ˜…
Here's where I got with Homestyler which was pretty quick and easy to play with... Wish I could come up with a good way to make it work with the desk in the middle but this doesn't seem terrible.
Hmm maybe this could work, desk not in the true middle but only need access from one side anyways...

Just not sure where to set up the ol' Rocket League station ๐Ÿ˜… Image
Hmm maybe this bookcase behind my desk, throw a TV in there for gaming, then losing at Rocket League and ruining my mood for the rest of the day is only a spin away... Image
Yeah yeah I think something like this basically might be the ticket ๐Ÿคฉ Image
Alright I think I've got it totally cracked now ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป My code is gonna be so much better for sure, how could it not. ImageImageImage
Went with this bookcase for behind my desk, will be able to fit my gaming monitor in the middle shelf ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

New desk arrives Wednesday, excited to remodel! Image
Gonna start redoing the office tonight!

New Uplift desk arrived today, 80x30 solid walnut top, thing is large ๐Ÿ˜… Image
Final before photos before the transformation beginsโ€ฆ ImageImage
Step 1: Take down acoustic panels and patch some holes โ€” these are gonna get moved to the other wall.

End result of this patch job will likely look like shit because I am an absolutely useless handy man ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿป ImageImage
(Probably the thing Iโ€™m most excited about with this home office reno is finally being able to put the back of this beauty on display ๐Ÿ˜) Image
Step 2: Spill an entire coffee on your office carpet ๐Ÿค™๐Ÿป Image
Step 3: Sand down these patches now that they are dry.

As expected, the patch is not impressed with the service I provided. Image
Step 4: Taping and edgingโ€ฆ If the baseboards arenโ€™t black when I take the tape off I will be absolutely shocked. I donโ€™t think there is anything in the world I am worse at than painting. Image
Step 5: Fuck up your ceiling by accidentally tapping the corner of the paint roller on it, then trying to wipe it off with a damp cloth and wiping away the texture of the ceiling completely ๐Ÿค™๐Ÿป Image
First coat is done, looking forward to seeing how I fucked this up when it dries ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป Image
Second coat, expect I may want to do a light third when this is totally totally dry but coverage looks okay I think, if anything probably too thick ๐Ÿ˜ตโ€๐Ÿ’ซ Image
Took the tape off, as expected I am terrible at this shit ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Also I painted the edges before sanding the patches, as can be seen here. Another dumbass move ๐Ÿง  Image
Coffee stain after clean up, expected a lot worse. ImageImage
My wife *really* enjoyed helping me carry this 1.75โ€ solid walnut 80x30 desktop up our massive staircase ๐Ÿ˜… Image
Desk is beautiful! But FedEx fucked it up ๐Ÿ˜ญ ImageImageImageImage
Where weโ€™re at with everything dryโ€ฆ

Next step is to build the desk, which Iโ€™m gonna start after kid is asleep.

(Getting replacement top in January, gonna use this one until then.) Image
Frame assembled! This thing has to weigh at least 200 pounds โ€” no clue how I am going to get this flipped over, starting to wish I knew my neighbours ๐Ÿ˜… Image
Starting to put things in their proper home ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Image
Trigger warning: No cable management ๐Ÿ˜œ

Need to buy a couple longer Thunderbolt cables then will tidy this up. Another job I honestly wish I could just pay someone to come and do better than me ๐Ÿ˜… Image
For real though the amount of cables it takes to build a CSS framework is astonishing. Image
Opted for ordering some 3D printed mounting brackets for my audio interface and Thunderbolt hub. Looked into lots of other options but I think this has the best chances of turning out clean.

etsy.com/ca/listing/980โ€ฆ

etsy.com/ca/listing/945โ€ฆ Image
Bookcase arrived, feels a little smaller than I was imagining but I think it's alright ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Decor is a draft, will figure out something nice soon ๐Ÿ™ƒ ImageImage
Gonna hang one of the guitars on the wall and put a nice chair in that corner long-term, but got the most important piece of decor on the shelf at least ๐Ÿ˜†

(Thanks to @austinstierler for helping me live my childhood dream ๐Ÿ˜„) Image
@austinstierler (And thanks to @taylorotwell for the badass Jurassic Park hardcover ๐Ÿ˜) Image
Got the new mic arm today, love it compared to the PSA-1 I had before! ImageImage
Trying out some more decor ideas. Image
Got a couple of new black acoustic panels to better match the new wall. Not sure I'll actually have a good spot for the second one but this one looks a lot better there than the gray ones I bought to match the other paint color ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Image
Ordered one of these to organize everything under the desk, think itโ€™ll work better than the plastic thing included with the desk.

Hopefully mounting brackets for other stuff will be here soon and can get it all sorted out!

amazon.ca/dp/B01LN1TVCM?โ€ฆ
New light fixture ๐Ÿ’ก Image

โ€ข โ€ข โ€ข

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
ใ€€

Keep Current with Adam Wathan

Adam Wathan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @adamwathan

Jul 19, 2023
โœจ A recap of Tailwind Connect 2023!

Last month, over 200 people got together in my hometown of Cambridge, Ontario to hang out, talk shop, and get a peek behind the curtain at some of the new stuff weโ€™ve been working on. Image
Tailwind Connect started out as an idea for throwing a little local meetup while the team was in town, but naturally ballooned into us renting a massive hall, hiring a crew of four videographers, and racking up a catering bill that put my own wedding to shame. Image
But even though we got a little carried away with the production, we tried to make it feel more like a meetup than a conference. We ran the event in the evening and kept it to just one presentation, leaving as much time as possible for people to just hang out and connect. Image
Read 26 tweets
Jan 16, 2023
I've never worked on a site where dark mode was as simple as "replace every instance of hex code A with hex code B."

The color changes are very often context-specific, so if you're using CSS variables to support themes, you need to name those contexts, like GitHub has:
Notice the "Show All Properties (389 more)" at the bottom? Yeah, there are a _lot_ of context-dependent color tweaks that need to happen in every supported theme.
This is why dark mode support works the way it does in Tailwind. It lets you make context-specific design decisions for dark mode right in the template, without identifying, naming, and hoisting every single context out of the design.
Read 7 tweets
Sep 27, 2022
Itโ€™s weird that anyone thinks Tailwind isnโ€™t suitable for super custom designs. Thatโ€™s literally the reason I made the framework, to build super custom designs faster.
Shipping something soon that should help change this perception anyways ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
I mean this is one of the first sections on the homepage ๐Ÿ˜„ If people think that though then just have to work harder.
Read 5 tweets
Sep 17, 2022
I've always loved how much polish a subtle animation like the one on this Stripe button can add to a UI ๐Ÿ˜

Let me show you how to recreate it with Tailwind CSS! ๐Ÿงต
First, let's create the button! We'll use `rounded-full` for the pill shape, add padding with `px-4` and `py-1.5`, set the font-weight with `font-semibold`, add color with `text-white` and `bg-slate-900`, then set a hover color with `hover:bg-slate-700`.

play.tailwindcss.com/c1BKsSjQto Image
Next, let's figure out how this icon needs to be built to animate the way we want it to.

Here's what the animation looks in slow motion โ€” notice how the horizontal line fades in, and the chevron slides to the right?
Read 10 tweets
Aug 17, 2022
Are there any email marketing/newsletter tools designed for technical people? All I want in the world is to write emails in markdown and include code snippets.

I want to do a lot more newsletter writing but the friction with all the WYSIWYG crap is brutal ๐Ÿ˜ž
"HEY World" is by far the closest thing I've found to the right level of friction-free newsletter publishing (even without markdown or code support), but for sending stuff to the Tailwind newsletter it feels weird to not come from our domain.
This is my current oh-my-god-I-want-to-blow-my-brains-out workflow:

1. Write in Markdown in my editor, leaving little comments where I need to add images.

2. Optimize images myself and upload to DigitalOcean Spaces (to bypass brutal compression applied by newsletter software.)
Read 7 tweets
Jun 25, 2022
For better or worse my entire approach to business is โ€œmake whatever I want, and hope enough people pay for it for it to work.โ€

Like a band making music โ€” write songs youโ€™re excited about, not the songs people want you to write. Might fail but at least youโ€™ll have fun.
To be clear this isnโ€™t advice, and itโ€™s the furthest thing from a recipe for success. But if youโ€™re lucky enough to have this, I would be careful to fall into the trap of doing what people ask you to do instead of just continuing to live the dream.
As an example, we released these Tailwind CSS templates earlier this week and we used Next.js because we like using Next.js. Iโ€™ve gotten lots of feedback like โ€œnot all your customers use Reactโ€ and yeah thatโ€™s true! But that assumes weโ€™re customer-driven, and weโ€™re not.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(