Yoshi Yoshitani Profile picture
Oct 19, 2021 12 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Tabling Artist Alley Convention Guide

Cons are opening up again...? I was asked for a repost here! No hard fast rules, just take these as suggestions/things to think about
First off, research what you can! But know that tabling is an ever growing/changing experience and be ready to tweak constantly (I went to NYCC '21 and suddenly everyone wanted to do apple pay-which I wasn't ready for/had never done)
The most important thing is Visibility!! Remember people will be walking past, so having big eye catching things at eye level is great. Try walking by your set up, what do you see first? And if you have a banner, put the info at the top! The bottom is hidden by the table
When considering legibility, also consider having a clear way to interact with your table. Is there a binder of prints to flip through? Or holographic keychains to hold up? Or a zine to read? Easy to pick up pins?
I personally have had a lot of success with biz cards, and their design is a whole other thread-- but remember to give them away like free candy. Only 1 design, you can print 5000 for $65, you never know who will contact you in 6 months
This is also an ever evolving thing. My first con I sold sexy monsters and cute cats, customers were very confused and no one bought from both categories.

Having a clear vibe and inhabiting that vibe helps ppl contextualize your work
Pricing! A tricky subject

Think about your table "If someone were to buy 1 of everything they would spend $ X" And have that X be a big number, it'll help with scaling pricing. Cheaper items are great too--you never know who will keep supporting you
Personalization is fun! Look online at other peoples displays, and remember to take your brand vibe into account as well. Think of it as though you as showing someone what a desk or living room designed by you would look like
Extra things to Bring! Some ideas. This is also always changing. I have a 'con box' of basic necessities that always stays with my con gear

And remember to say hi to your neighbors!
There seems to be some slight confusion around marketability. Just make sure your brand is clear!

Example: it’s strange to sell cooking supplies next to sports gear
UNLESS your brand is specifically sports themed cooking gear

Think abt who is/isn’t your customer
If there is something that isn’t selling at your table, more often than not it’s because that thing doesn’t match the brand people perceive and approach you for. You could probably move that item to another persons table and it would be their best selling thing
Visibility clarification:
You can go to a con and sell only 1 book, but make it fill your table, have multiple piles/displays, have a open copy with passages highlighted, or open to a great spread. Don’t have only a single copy in view

You want visually catchy not visually dead

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Yoshi Yoshitani

Yoshi Yoshitani Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @yoshisquared

Oct 19, 2021
Currently reading The Stand-In by Lily Chu and wow, I love it

normal Canadian girl becomes body double for famous Chinese movie actress. We got fake relationship, enemies to lovers, family expectations, dealing with mental health, lots of positive insights
Got this story on a lark and wow I just cannot put it down, a new fave for sure!!
Stayed up late to finish the book, very good, highly recommend

Like it’s so well written that after I finished chapter 2 I was already trying to see if the author had written anything else. Really an excellent read
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(