Seth Frantzman Profile picture
Oct 24, 2021 13 tweets 4 min read Read on X
October 21, 2016 around five years ago, I was at Nawaran on the frontline during the open phase of the Mosul offensive in the Kurdistan region as Peshmerga pushed ISIS back toward the city and then handed over operations to Iraqi army and ISOF
It seems like many years ago, more than it was, that I was there, there was this very cold night I recall sleeping there with artillery and small arms fire going on all night
The morning of the 21 we had tea and warmed ourselves by the fire around a burning fire
Heroic journalists from Rudaw came and went from the frontline; caked in dust
Among the photos I was looking at was this very tall Kurdish man; Im not short but he was very tall; I asked him for a photo
Think of those days with fond memories, I may post some other photos in coming days
I think I was in better shape back then too 😂
I met a lot of great fighters during those days, men looking for the fight, some offered for me to come along into the battle for Fazalia and other villages, I saw some fighting but eventually I said no, I had responsibilities at home far away and couldn’t risk more
In the spring of 2017 I went into Mosul; more on that next year when the anniversary of the defeat of ISIS in Mosul comes around
Saw and spoke with some of the other militaries on that line, including foreign special forces ; still after these years I respect the requests not to show photos of faces and vehicles where we were asked not to; but many played a big, and quiet, role in this battle
Those little binoculars I carried caused a stir for some reason at airport security in a transit country…whatever…they were useful. Years later we lost them at a nature reserve in Israel…I STILL have the hat though. That hat has been through a lot 😃 the Nikon camera also
The range in age and types of Kurdish men who came as volunteers to help was extraordinary #peshmerga
At the end of the day; when colleagues have been wounded and killed; and the fight is over for now; war is hell

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Seth Frantzman

Seth Frantzman Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @sfrantzman

Sep 30
The authorities in Lebanon haven’t released full details on the number killed in the Sept. 27 airstrike that killed Nasrallah, right? This is in contrast to the Hamas-run health authorities in Gaza who always claimed to know the precise number killed an hour or so after every incident?
The difference in reporting is that in Gaza the Hamas authorities would come out with exact numbers almost immediately, that were clearly problematic, and circulate this to a well-oiled machine that sent the information out, such as after the Ahli incident or Nuseirat raid.
Remember the Nuseirat raid that rescued four hostages and immediately everyone was parroting the “200 killed to rescue four.” Soon it was “at least 274.” And who were those 274? How many were gunmen? The Hamas authorities never said
Read 10 tweets
Sep 29
Before we have to hear the talking point that Israel "escalted" against the Houthis, if there is retaliation for their unprecedented attempts to attack Israel with ballistic missiles in the last two weeks; let's be clear, the HOUTHIS are the ones ESCALATING.
Let's recall that it is the Houthis that began attacks on Israel, and on commercial shipping in the Red Sea. These attacks were backed by, and likely ordered by, Iran. Iran did this. Iran and the Houths, Hezbollah, Hamas all started this war.
There is some bizarre thing that happens where every group that suddenly decides it will target Israel, immediately gets a pass as if it has a right to do this, and then gets support from extremists abroad; and then if Israel responds the narrative is that Israel "escalated."
Read 9 tweets
Sep 29
Some discussion about the elimination of Nasrallah has referenced the removal of Soleimani back in 2020. Now, here is my question. There's no doubt the killing of Soleimani was a blow, however, Iran's IRGC-backed axis recovered and coordinated between Hamas, Hezbollah, PIJ and the Houthis.
In fact, the Houthis, Hezbollah, Hamas and PIJ became more powerful since 2020, so even fit eh IRGC was without a charismatic leader, the Iranian "axis" continued to grow.
The question with the removal of Nasrallah is, can MORE be achieved than after the removal of Soleimani. In essence, it seems to me that this needs to be exploited more if the goal is to change the region and hand Iran a major setback.
Read 6 tweets
Sep 27
A 🧵 on how Israel got to the point of targeting Nasrallah, and how Hezbollah underestimated Israel via its own over confidence.

Two years ago Israel was pressured into a “maritime deal” with Lebanon by Hezbollah threats to attack Israel and target gas platforms off the coast. Israel was told this would create security but it only brought more threats by Hezbollah. Now it seems the tables have turned and Israel has called the bluff of Hezbollah through systematic attacks on its leadershipImage
It took almost a year of war to get to this point as Hezbollah forced Israelis to evacuate the north and attacked daily for almost a year. Hezbollah thought it could keep doing this without repercussions
Hezbollah read Israeli media and knew that DefMin Gallant had pushed for a war with Hezbollah in October after its first attacks. He was restrained though.
Read 9 tweets
Sep 26
Have you noticed the total absence of discussion among policymakers about how Israel shouldn't have to continue to live with two terrorist armies on its borders; Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon. Clearly the presence of these groups guarantee endless war and suffering
Isn't it obvious after October 7 that a status quo with these groups, or "balance of deterrence" isn't working? A country shouldn't have to have groups on its border that have missile capabilities stronger than most states. Yet over two decades these groups were built up exponentially.
Imagine you could go back to 2006 and not have Hamas take over Gaza and NOT have Hezbollah return to the border after the 2006 war. Imagine the peace that would prevail. There wouldn't have been endless wars in Gaza. Hezbollah wouldn't turn Lebanon into an armed camp.
Read 8 tweets
Sep 17
You can note the talking points put out by the anti-Israel, pro-Hezbollah crowd after the pager attack. It consists of claims the attack was "indiscriminate" and that it harmed civilians and that it is a "terrorist" attack.

It's so interesting and predictable. It's also so obvious.
Every time there is an incident, whether it was the hostage rescue in Gaza, or this, there is always a talking point factory. The arguments they make are never original. It's always just the same talking point repeated again and again.
Remember the hostage rescue when we were subjected to the talking point of "200 killed to rescue 4" or something like that...without any evidence that it was 200 civilians killed.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(