Bozi Tatarevic Profile picture
Oct 26, 2021 25 tweets 12 min read Read on X
Quick thread on my first visit to @MillbridgeRacin for the @Walkapedia_ Carolina Midget Showdown.
The main parking area was full by the time I got to @MillbridgeRacin so had to enter the back lot which felt like I was going on an adventure.
It was interesting to see the paddock layout and the interactions of the competitors once inside.
It started sprinkling so teams moved their cars out of the rain.
I was chatting with @BrianRDunlap and @Walkapedia_ while waiting for the rain to pass and an impromptu race procedure meeting just happened in front of us which eventually resulted in a driver meeting being called to discuss re-qualifying after the rain.
. @BrianCarter6 dropping by and checking weather radar with @BrianRDunlap and @Walkapedia_.
. @dillon_welch brought Janet.
Janet is cool.
I grabbed a Walking Taco after @FreddieKraft recommended it and it was delicious.
Concession prices at @MillbridgeRacin are very reasonable.
There’s all kinds of cool stuff around the paddock like this @BuiltBundy Honda K-Series motor that revs to over 9,000 RPM.
Some of the most competitive races of the night seemed to be the box stock races that kids were running.
A decent amount of NASCAR Cup series drivers were around at @MillbridgeRacin as well but @KyleBusch and @KurtBusch were wrenching last night rather than racing.
Other NASCAR Cup Series playoff contenders like @KyleLarsonRacin were in the area as well doing similar dad/mechanic duties.
These kids races were the only ones that had post-race tech and from what I hear the engine building and technical competition is pretty intense in this class.
Cool truck in the lower paddock.
It was nice to be invited to then infield for the feature to see all the cars up close.
The push vehicles are pretty neat.
There was a quick pre-race media meeting in the infield.

I feel like this is the 37th type of racing event this yesr where I’ve run into @HannahNewhouse working a broadcast.
Sseing these things being wheeled from up close is incredible.
It was cool to see team owners like @Alex_Bowman out there wrenching on their race cars and I was appreciative of the explanations that he shared on what they were doing in addition to what @BrianRDunlap was showing me.
That ABR entry piloted by @CJ_Leary_ eventually ended up in victory lane.
Second place finisher @CBellRacing was out inspecting the track immediately after the finish and debriefing with his crew.
My @KnightsBaseball hat shows the amount of dirt that I experienced during the event.
There's more racing tonight and more prize money on the line at @MillbridgeRacin so y'all should go check out the second night of the @Walkapedia_ Carolina Midget Showdown!

Gates open at 5pm and hot laps start at 6:30pm.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Bozi Tatarevic

Bozi Tatarevic Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BoziTatarevic

Oct 1
Listening to Actions Detrimental and feel like @dennyhamlin might need a whiteboard for a technical explainers to @jareddallen and @TravisRockhold.

Here is a good illustration to add to his explanation on why Xfinity cars can get close and pass but Cup cars can't. Image
If you look at the car when they're far apart, you can see how the air comes off the spoiler of the leading car and and also how the following car can get air under the splitter. The cars will be somewhat comparable in how they perform in these situations. Image
Once the cars get close, we can see the airflow from the leading car now joins the airflow from the following car which takes air away from the spoiler of the leading car. Which results in a loss of downforce for an overbody dependent car like the Xfinity car. Image
Read 12 tweets
Aug 21
I do not see a way that having the lifter system installed could have any impact on the right rear droop so I don't believe that it played any role in the LaJoie flip.

Calling it an air jack is incorrect as this is a lifter system that can temporarily increase damper length.
I know that the air jack terminology was used on the segment segment in the show but it is incorrect and will cause confusion if people keep repeating it. It's best to refer to it as a damper lift system or shock lift system..
Dampers with the lift system installed still retain the same length as traditional dampers and must fit on the same template that the traditional ones fit on as seen in this photo.

Only the part circled in red is replaced with the lift system components. Image
Read 10 tweets
Aug 12
There have been a lot of opinions on the moves by Austin Dillon on the last lap but best way to analyze them is to look at the actual data so let's dig into his last two laps in a quick thread.

Orange = Lap 407
Blue = Lap 408
In order to get an understanding of what we're looking at we'll start with Dillon's moment of impact with Logano.

If you look on the chart on the right you'll see that Dillon was moving at 105.2 mph and had 30.9 degrees of steering to the left at the moment marked. Image
When looking at the steering trace, the chart going up is turning left while the chart going down is turning right. Image
Read 9 tweets
Mar 3
The right front wheel on the No. 17 was not fully tight which resulted in the wheel riding at an angle on the hub and eventually snapping. Let’s dig into how that happens.
During a tire change, the wheel has holes on the back of it that need to seat on drive pins that are on the center of the hub around the snout. Image
Once the wheel is properly seated, the wheel nut can be fastened and pass over the wheel nut retention system that stick up on the front of the snout. Image
Read 9 tweets
Feb 11
Ever wonder what all those buttons and knobs on a race car's steering wheel do?

The steering wheels in our Lexus RC F GT3s have a over a dozen functions and are the command center for our drivers. Let's dig into some of them and how they're used during a race. A photo looking at the steering wheel and dashboard of the Lexus RC F GT3.
The top of the steering wheel features three knobs:

TCS: Sets the level of traction control intervention.

GEAR: Sets the mapping for the gearbox and adjusts throttle blip.

ENG: Sets how the car responds to throttle input dependent on a driver’s preference and conditions Image
PASSING: This is how drivers can flash the headlights to express their intentions to pass to whatever car is in front of them.

MARK: Used for selecting/marking items in menus.

WIPER: Turns on windshield wiper. Notice the guard so that it does not accidentally get engaged. Image
Read 8 tweets
May 9, 2023
Checking out some pit lane stats for Trucks at Kansas and just like in Cup, having that first pit stall is an advantage for driver time on pit lane.

Having an open in or out also appears to be an advantage.

Here are top 15 drivers based on average pit lane time: Image
An experienced driver in the first pit stall can be a huge advantage. The gap from 1st to 2nd is 0.74 seconds but the gap from 2nd to 3rd is only 0.01 seconds.

5th place is over a second behind best.
15th place is over two seconds behind best. Image
The best driver without an open in or out from their pit stall was @brennanpoole in 9th with an average driver time of 27.85 which was 1.58 seconds behind the best on the list.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(