Zach London Profile picture
Oct 26, 2021 11 tweets 6 min read Read on X
1/11
Time for a #tweetorial on one of my favorite topics: Wrist Drop. @AANMember @NMatch2022 #neurology #futureneurologist #neurotwitter #neurotwitternetwork @AANEMorg #meded @KoriPoRodri

The first thing you should think of when you see a patient with weak wrist extension is…
2/11
This. Compression of the radial nerve at spiral groove. And usually, we think of it as being caused by... Image
3/11
This. And by the way, if you’re ever curious about the surprising origins of the term “Saturday Night Palsy,” read this article. pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12188953/

But I digress. The spiral groove (aka radial groove) is not the only peripheral localization for wrist drop. Image
4/11
This chart shows you who you can distinguish five peripheral localizations by only testing four other muscles. (How is that even mathematically possible?) Image
5/11
But when a patient shows up in the ED with a wrist drop that wasn’t there the night before, you are really thinking of the 2 most likely things:
1. Radial mononeuropathy at the spiral groove
2. Stroke. (In the infamous hand knob!)
How do you tell them apart without imaging? Image
6/11
The brachioradialis may be particularly helpful. It is supplied by the radial nerve, but it is a FLEXOR. It flexes the elbow with the thumb pointing up. CNS lesions often affect extensors more, so the brachioradialis (both the muscle and reflex) may be spared in stroke.
7/11
And patients with radial neuropathy can’t extend the wrist at all. Patients with a stroke may have trouble extending it volitionally, but (and I just learned this!) they may be able to extend it when they try to make a fist, because of synkinetic activation of the extensors.
8/11
So a patient with a radial mononeuropathy trying to make a fist would look like this.
9/11
While a patient with a cortical wrist drop trying to make a fist might be able to do this.
10/11
Localization take homes:
1. Check the brachioradialis and compare sides. If weak, you may not need imaging.
2. Have the patient make a fist. If they extend, it's probably a brain problem.
3. Still not sure? Go look at that chart to figure out all the less common things!
11/11
The last point I wanted to make is what to do if you think it's a radial neuropathy.
1. Order OT and get them a cock up wrist splint.
2. Refer for an EMG in 3-4 weeks and tell them to cancel the appt if they are better. And guess what... they almost always are by then!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Zach London

Zach London Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @zach_london

May 2
Ulnar neuropathy "at the wrist" is really in the hand. Guyon's canal is between the pisiform and hamate bones. It's close to the wrist, though.

The numbers in this image are the Zones where injuries can take place, and they each create a unique clinical picture. #tweetorial
1/6 Image
Let's count down from Zone 4. The superficial terminal branch, for practical purposes, is purely sensory, supplying the palmar aspect of the digits 4-5.

FYI: The dorsal ulnar cutaneous nerve (not shown) comes off in the forearm, supplies the backs of these fingers.
2/6 Image
Zone 3 is a motor branch that supplies the first dorsal interosseous. A lesion here could mimic the Split Hand in ALS, where the muscles on the side of the thumb are disproportionately weak.

I never met someone who was crucified, but I suppose that's one way to get this.
3/6 Image
Read 6 tweets
Oct 23, 2023
Saw another patient with sensory neuronopathy who had been misdiagnosed with functional neurological disorder.

What is sensory neuronopathy, and why do we keep missing it? A #tweetorial.
1/ Image
First order of business. Neuronopathy is not the same as neuropathy. There’s a NO right in the middle of it.

That helps you remember the answer to the question: Is this just numb feet in a patient with diabetes?
2/ Image
Where's the lesion?
Sensory neuronopathy is a syndrome of damage to the dorsal root ganglia. These little campers park up and down the spinal cord, so when they aren't working, the sensory loss or pain can be in the distribution of multiple roots.
3/ Image
Read 13 tweets
Jul 27, 2023
🧷🔥The Sensory Exam.🧊👈

Some neurologists just skip it. Compared to other parts of the exam, it's mired in subjectivity.

And slow! you could spend 10 minutes doing it and learn nothing.

But it can still be valuable, especially when done EFFICIENTLY. #tweetorial #neurology Image
In this🧵, we're talking about examining a patient who does NOT have a sensory deficit as their chief complaint.

The screening sensory exam in this situation should focus on things people might not bring up in the history. What on earth could that be? Image
The most common would be neuropathy.

Patients with numb feet may only complain of imbalance. Or pain. Or nothing.

So my screening sensory exam focuses on finding NUMB FEET. 👣

And here's a hot take: Neuropathy is almost always symmetric, so...
Read 15 tweets
Jul 16, 2023
I administered the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) to the image-generating AI program DALL-E this morning. Thing really went off the rails.

Let's see how it did. 🧵 Image
"Do trails starting with 1-A-2-B etc."

Okay, that's not what we meant, but I see the confusion. 0 points. Image
"Copy a three dimensional cube."

Impressive, but that wasn't the assignment. 0 points. Image
Read 22 tweets
May 16, 2023
What do inkblots and puppies hugging teach us about the way the long tracts are organized in the spinal cord? Everything.

Behold, our favorite tracts in the cervical cord.

A = fibers to/from the arm
T = fibers to/from the trunk
L = fibers to/from the leg

#tweetorial
1/7 Image
Now let's just look at the arm fibers. For all three tracts, they are right up against the grey matter.

Want a #mnemonic to help you remember that?
2/7 Image
Well, some say the grey matter looks like a butterfly.

You love butterflies, so what do you do when we see one? You hug it.

That's why your arm fibers are right up in there. For butterfly hugs.
3/7 Image
Read 7 tweets
Mar 22, 2023
Not pointing fingers, but I think some of us are misusing the word "bulbar."

The Bulb is the archaic term for the medulla. So bulbar weakness refers only to muscles supplied by cranial nerves 9-12.

Let's play a game called "Is THIS bulbar weakness?"
1/🧵
Is THIS Bulbar Weakness?

Yes.

(The picture's not upside down... you're upside down.)

A lateral medullary stroke damages the nucleus ambiguus of CN X, leading to dysphagia, dysarthria, and dysphonia.
2/🧵
Is THIS Bulbar Weakness?

Yes!

This bulb is completely exhausted. (It needs to stop resting on its florals.)
3/🧵
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(