Michelle Skelton Profile picture
Oct 27, 2021 48 tweets 43 min read Read on X
Good morning, I'll be live tweeting from A109 this morning, 10:15am, cst. Get your campus clear, mask up, & bring your questions.

Let's start with a thinking challenge, at what age should a juvenile be sent to the adult court?

#CRJ107 #MoraineValley #RoleOfCourtsInJJS
I'm SO excited to be live-tweeting here on campus, I can barely keep my eyes open. We are going to delve into Chapter 09, the Juvenile Courts

#CRJ107 #RoleOfTheCourtsJJS
What factor is most important in consideration if a juvenile should be waived to the adult court?

Before the establishment of the first juvenile court, there was only one system of justice in the United States that served both the adult and the juvenile offenders

The juvenile court was first established in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago), by the passage of the Juvenile Court Act

THINKING CHALLENGE: In which way are juveniles most significantly different than adult offenders?

Generally, the juvenile court has jurisdiction over all acts of delinquency. Delinquency is any behavior committed by a juvenile that is prohibited by the juvenile law of the state

In most states, delinquency consists of two general categories:

~ Crimes
~ Status Offenses

THINKING CHALLENGE: When you were a teenager, what status offense did you commit?

THINKING CHALLENGE: What do you believe to be the most common status offense among teens today?

THINKING CHALLENGE: Should juvenile delinquents and juveniles in need of supervision be adjudicated in the same court system?

In some jurisdictions, juvenile courts are structured to be completely separate courts that only hear cases involving juveniles

In the juvenile court, the judge is the ultimate decision maker.

They do not simply rule on the facts of the case.

They need to have a wide range of options available in order to render a decision.

The juvenile court judge is usually responsible for hiring and firing staff, establishing court policies, and budgeting

The most important duties of a juvenile court judge involve the disposition of cases involving delinquents

The prosecutor represents the interest of the state in bringing the case against a juvenile. The prosecutor also represents the interests of the victim.

THINKING CHALLENGE: Which juvenile court actor has the most discretion in decision making in the juvenile court

THINKING CHALLENGE: Which juvenile court actor SHOULD HAVE the most discretion in decision making in the juvenile court

Probation officers are critical players in the juvenile court process

Day in the Life: TN Probation & Parole Officer

@TNTDOC1

Ride Along with Probation Officer Merredith Murdock

@PlacerSheriff
@PlacerProbation

Probation officers complete predisposition reports that assist juvenile court judges in determining the most appropriate disposition of the case after adjudication

The debate about the role of the juvenile court is essentially whether to retain its treatment-orientation or to follow the more punitive approach of the adult system

THINKING CHALLENGE: What philosophy should the juvenile court pursue?

The judge has wide latitude in deciding cases. Increasingly, mandatory waivers and sentences dictate the outcome of a case.

THINKING CHALLENGE: Who should decide if a juvenile is waived to the adult court?

Conservatives generally want a “get tough” approach to juvenile crime, & feel as though punishing delinquents like adults is acceptable, while liberals believe that not all juveniles are alike, should be handled on an individual basis.

THINKING CHALLENGE: Which philosophy most closely aligns to your ideals in regards to juvenile crime?

THINKING CHALLENGE: Should mandatory waive to adult court exist?

Cases of Kids Tried As Adults:

In 2014, Wisconsin 12-year-olds Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser lured their classmate Payton Leutner into the woods where they stabbed her 19 times

washingtonpost.com/news/true-crim…

Jordan Brown, charged with homicide at 11 then exonerated, sues over ‘stolen’ childhood

post-gazette.com/news/crime-cou…

Jesus Mendez and Denver Jarvis, accused of setting Michael Brewer on fire, receive prison sentences

palmbeachpost.com/article/201202…

A Texas boxer was shot to death in his own home. The suspect: A 12-year-old boy

mysanantonio.com/news/local/cri…

10-Year-Olds Robert Thompson and Jon Venables Took The Life Of A Toddler

edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/eur…

Curtis And Catherine Jones Fatally Shot Their Father's Girlfriend

usatoday.com/story/news/nat…

Prosecutors decide what charges are brought against an individual, whether or not the case moves forward or is handled informally

The prosecutors also bring about a disposition, either through an adjudication hearing or through plea bargaining. Prosecutors are usually responsible for initiating the transfer proceedings that waive juveniles to adult court for trial

Hearing to determine whether there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to support the allegations against the juvenile

Hearing held after a juvenile has been adjudicated to determine what sanction should be imposed on the juvenile

THINKING EXERCISE: Based on the historic changes to the juvenile court, what is the current direction?

Real Life Real Issues: Juvenile Justice

pbs.org/video/real-lif…

What questions do you have about our Courts?

How can I help? #CRJ107
Overall, how would you rate today's discussion?

#CRJ107
If you made it this far, send me a case in which a youth was waived to the adult court so we can discuss!

How can I improve these Twitter lectures?

#CRJ107
Other suggestions or constructive criticism?

#CRJ107

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Michelle Skelton

Michelle Skelton Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @michelle_furlow

Oct 17, 2022
Good afternoon! Join me on Tuesday, 10am, cst, to discuss the development of subcultures. What subculture sounds interesting to hear more about?

#CRJ105 #Criminology #Chapter06 #SubcultureTheory
Oh boy, I'm going to need some ENERGY from y'all this morning! I took a photo to share that I'm ready to teach ... and THIS was the result ...

#LookingLessThanEnthused #SendCoffee #LetsTryThisAgain #CRJ105 Image
Oooookay, take two! Let's try this again. Good morning, got your coffee ready?

Let's discuss ...

#CRJ105 #Criminology #SubcultureTheory #Chapter6 Image
Read 98 tweets
Oct 4, 2022
Happy Tuesday! Tomorrow at 2pm, cst, we are taking a look at social class, crime, and the #AmericanDream.

Do YOU believe in the American Dream?

#CRJ105 #MoraineValley #SocialStructure #Strain
Hello! I had office hours in A109 this morning, now I'll be here live tweeting for criminology. I'm glad you can join me

#CRJ105 #MoraineValley #SocialStructure #Strain
I'll be updating the grade book for Unit 02, I should finish tomorrow, so keep an eye on your grades, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Let's jump into #StrainTheory #CRJ105
Read 41 tweets
Sep 26, 2022
Happy Monday, all!

Tomorrow morning, Tuesday, at 10:30am, cst, we will be introducing Psychological Trait Theory.

To jump start the discussion, how would you describe MY personality? Your thoughts not listed here? Add in the comments!

#CRJ105 #PsychologicalTraitTheory
The results are in! The internet has spoken, apparently I am perceived as ...

#PsychologicalTraitTheory #Criminology #CRJ105
What? Friendly?

Caring?

Serious?

Yeah, who says!?!

#PsychologicalTraitTheory #Criminology #CRJ105
Read 74 tweets
Sep 12, 2022
Good morning, friends! Join me at Wednesday, 9/14, 1:30pm, cst, to discuss juveniles as victims, offenders, and participants in the JJS.

THINKING CHALLENGE: What is the biggest challenge facing juveniles today?

#CRJ107 #JuvenileDelinquency
A great discussion this morning in #CRJ105 where we discussed the tenets of the #ClassicalSchool, now onto Juvenile Delinquency #CRJ107 Image
I'm so delighted you could follow along today. For a quick roll call, are you ...

#CRJ107 #JuvenileDelinquency
Read 63 tweets
Sep 12, 2022
THINKING CHALLENGE: From your common sense, why do people break the law?

Join me at Tuesday, 9/12, 10:30am cst, today to discuss!
#CRJ105 #MoraineValley
Good morning friends, thank you for joining me to discuss the history of Criminology, covering Chapter 03.

#HistoryOfCriminology #CRJ105 #Criminology Image
Before we get started with Unit 02, I wanted to check in how the course is progressing for you so far. Now that we've got one unit under our belt, how is online learning treating you?

#CRJ105 #CRJ105CourseSurvey
Read 97 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
Join me at 10:30am, cst, tomorrow, 9/6: Did One Group of Undercover Cops Try to Arrest Other Undercover Cops?

Police chief: "This is probably one of the most embarrassing things in this department since I’ve been appointed."

#CRJ105 #MoraineValley #MeasuringCrime
Good MORNING Criminology fans, I'm here in the home office, excited to get started talking about the #MeasurementOfCrime, who else is feeling the return to work after the long weekend?

Well coffee up, we have a lot of fun concepts to discuss this morning ...

I hope you join me as we take a look at Chapter 02, #TrueCrimeVSUrbanLegend and the #MeasurementOfCrime

Read 76 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(