Marijn van Putten Profile picture
Nov 4, 2021 21 tweets 8 min read Read on X
The Lower text of the Sanaa Palimpest is exciting to researchers, because its lower text is a non-Uthmanic version of the Quran. When the wording differs between the Palimpsest and the Uthmanic text, how do we decode which one is more original? A thread on a variant at Q19:26 🧵 Image
Q19:26 in the standard text reads ʾinnī naḏartu li-r-raḥmāni ṣawman fa-lan ʾukallima l-yawma ʾinsiyyan "I vowed a fast to the All-Merciful, so I will not speak to any human today".
In the Sanaa Palimpsest there is clearly another word between ṣawman and the following sentence Image
The relevant portion of the lower text is exceptionally difficult to read, even in the UV photos, but just enough can be made out to be able to tell that there is another word.

@MohsenGT managed to just make out the relevant traces in the their edition. ImageImage
Here is me trying to produce a trace of what is visible there. As with the transcription in Sadeghi & Goudarzi, I indeed see a word with the shape وصمٮا, i.e. wa-ṣamtan "I vowed a fast AND A SILENCE to the All-Merciful, so I will not speak to any human today" Image
This is a well-known variant, reported as a recitation for ʾAnas b. Mālik by Ibn Ḫālawayh.
ʾAbū Ḥayyān also attributes it to Ibn Masʿūd's Muṣḥaf.

So this was clearly a variant present in the early Islam. So we may ask: which of these competing readings is more original? ImageImage
In his seminal "The Codex of a Companion of the Prophet and the Qurʾān of the Prophet", Sadeghi sets up several criteria to decided the direction of a variant, in the context of dictation, and the implication they have for directionality.

Let's go through them. Image
1. Changes of Minor Elements.
This is by far the most common difference between the Sanaa Palimpsest and the standard text. Interchanges of wa-, fa-, or the omission or inclusion of extremely common words such as Aḷḷāh.
With these it is hard to decide on the direction of change Image
2. Omissions of Major Elements.
When someone is writing down a text from dictation, they are more likely to forget a word they heard rather than add a word they did not hear at all. Thus, barring other mechanisms, variation should go from more words to fewer words. Image
3. Auto-contamination.
Auto-contamination is one of the cases where a word may be added. The Quran is highly self-similar, so someone familiar with the text might add a word that is present in parallel verses elsewhere in the text, in a place it does not belong. Image
Auto-contamination can happen either
a. Due to a parallel verse in a different location in the Quran.
b. Due to a not-quite parallel but nearby verse with similar wording. Image
4. Phonetic Conservation in Major Substitutions.
Sometimes one word may be replaced for another, but still be more or less the same in sound and wording. In such cases direction is difficult to decided, e.g.
Q5:41 Uthmanic wa-lahum fī l-ʾāḫirati ~ Sanaa wa-fī l-ʾāḫirati lahum. Image
5. Common or Frequent Terms.
Sometimes a frequent term may be replaced with another frequent term in cases of misremembering. In these cases a direction of change is difficult to tell as well.

So what about the variant ṣawman wa-ṣamtan? Can we explain this as an addition? Image
The only way that a word can be added 'accidentally' in dictation is due to auto-contamination (criterion 3). But that cannot explain the variant here.

The whole phrase is unique, ṣawman is a hapax legomenon ("read once"), the word ONLY occurs here.
The added word wa-ṣamtan, in fact, does not occur in the Uthmanic text at all. As such, we can safely exclude the possibility of auto-contamination, there is no place where a scribe could have gotten wa-ṣamtan from in the text of the Quran.
Therefore, the more likely explanation is that it is a case of Major Omission in the Uthmanic text. i.e. When the Quranic text was dictated, the dictation had the phrasing ʾinnī naḏartu li-r-raḥmāni ṣawman wa-ṣamtan. But the Uthmanic scribe failed to write down this word.
This is an example of what Sadeghi calls a "major plus" that cannot easily be explained as the result of issues of memory while writing down from dictation.

In other words: the Sanaa Palimpest seems to have the more original wording here. Image
The fact that this very variant is indeed also attested in OTHER companion copies of the Quran, clearly also suggests that the scribe of the Sanaa Palimpsest's text type was not the only person to hear it, strengthening the evidence that the addition is the original wording.
In Sadeghi's original 2010 article, he found in the few folios he had examined of the Sanaa Palimpsest no examples of major pluses. Which meant that technically the Sanaa Palimpsest could have been a descendant from the Uthmanic text type.
But with the publication of Sadeghi & Goudarzi's edition, it is clear that there are indeed several major pluses in the Sanaa Palimpsest (including this one), which means that the text cannot descend from the Uthmanic text, and in this case retains the more original phrasing.
If you enjoyed this thread and want me to do more of it, please consider buying me a coffee.
ko-fi.com/phdnix.
If you want to support me in a more integral way, you can become a patron on Patreon!
twitter.com/PhDniX

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Marijn van Putten

Marijn van Putten Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PhDniX

Oct 10
New Article!

This article examines a famous passage in the Hadith that related the canonization of the Quran, where the Uthmanic committee has a disagreement on how to write the word for "Ark".

Insight into loan strategies elucidates the passage.

doi.org/10.1515/islam-…Image
In the Quran today the Ark of the Covenant is spelled التابوت and pronounced al-tābūt. This is a loanword from the Aramaic tēḇōṯ-ā, likely via Gəʿəz tābōt.

However, reports (which go back to Ibn Šihāb al-Zuhrī (d. 124/741-2)) tell us there was a controversy on how to spell it. Image
The Medinan Zayd b. Ṯābit wanted to spell it with a final hāʾ: التابوه, while his Quraši colleagues insisted it should be spelled التابوت.

They take it up with ʿUṯmān who says: the Quran was revealed in the Quraysh dialect, so it should be written according to it.
Read 12 tweets
Sep 27
Ibn al-Bawwāb's quran, following the Classical Arabic orthography (rather than the rasm), spells ʾalif maqṣūrah before suffixes with ʾalif rather than (the Uthmanic) yāʾ. However, sometimes it does not, e.g. in Q79 here: مرساها, تخشاها, ضحاها, BUT: ذكريها. What gives? 🧵 Image
Turns out there is a beautiful perfectly regular distribution!

The Ibn al-Bawwāb Quran is written according to the transmission of al-Dūrī from the reading of ʾAbū ʿAmr.

ʾAbū ʿAmr treats such ʾalifāt maqṣūrah is a special way. He reads them as /ā/ most of the time...
But he reads with ʾimālah, i.e. /ē/ whenever a /r/ precedes.

When the word stands in rhyme position, the /ā/ of such words is pronounced bayna lafẓay, i.e. /ǟ/.

And this distribution explains the spelling in the screenshot above, and throughout this manuscript!
Read 6 tweets
Sep 25
If you look in a printed muṣḥaf today, and you're familiar with modern Arabic orthography, you will immediately be struck that many of the word are spelled rather strangely, and not in line with the modern norms.

This is both an ancient and a very modern phenomenon. 🧵 Image
On the two page spread in the previous post alone there are 25 (if I didn't miss any) words that are not spelled the way we would "expect" them to.

The reason for this is because modern print editions today try to follow the Uthmanic rasm.
During the third caliph Uthman's reign, in the middle of the 7th century, he established an official standard of the text. This text was written in the spelling norms of the time. This spelling is called the rasm.
But since that time the orthographic norms of Arabic changed.
Read 22 tweets
Aug 5
I'm about to start watching this.

As some of you may know, I don't have a particularly high opinion of Arabic101, but now he's wading into the manuscript fray...

Will be live-tweeting facepalms as I go through it. Image
0:14 "what you see is 100% identical today to any Muṣḥaf".

Minor gripe. It's identical to the Madani Muṣḥaf, but not really to the Kufan, Basran or Damascene. But still 99.9% so this is really nitpicky.
0:43 "Re-phrased Ayat/Removed words/Added words" is of course anachronistic. It implies that the text we have today is more original than the Sanaa Palimpsest. Not much to suggest that.
Read 68 tweets
Jul 22
In his 2020 book, Shady Nasser spends a chapter on a 'survival of the fittest' model of canonization of the reading traditions, arguing that over time the "majority transmission" tended to win out.

He choses a rather unusual example to illustrate this. 🧵 Image
On page 25, Nasser tries to present an evolutionary model, with natural selection, by which some transmission paths of the seven readers become 'canonical', while others don't. One of these is that one "drops out" when diverging from the standard reading of the group... Image
As an illustration of this divergence from the standard, he cites what he considers a non-canonical reading among the seven, namely the imalah of an-nēsi, which is a variant reading transmitted for Abū Ṭāhir ʿAbd al-Wāḥid b. ʿUmar al-Bazzār (d. 349/960). Image
Read 15 tweets
Jul 10
Ibn Ḫālawayh's (d. 380) Kitāb al-Badīʿ is an interesting book on the Qirāʾāt because it's the earliest surviving work that tries to simplify the transmissions of the readings, and does it rather differently from what becomes popular, the system of Ibn Ġalbūn the father (d. 389) Image
Ibn Ḫālawayh was Ibn Muǧāhid's student, who is widely held to be the canonizer of the seven reading traditions. Ibn Muǧāhid's book is the earliest book on the 7 reading traditions. But canon or not, Ibn Ḫālawayh's book actually describes 8 (adding Yaʿqūb).
Today the simplified system (and the only surviving one) is the "two-rawi canon". Each of the 7 readers, have two standard transmitters (all of them were once transmitter by more transmitters than those two). This system was introduced by ʾAbū al-Ṭayyib Ibn Ġalbūn in his ʾiršād. Image
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(