Ante Krištić ⛪ Profile picture
Nov 6, 2021 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
House within the house.

City of #Bol on island #Brač, #Croatia.

What is the story behind this remarkable object?

Thread ⬇️

📸 by @sky_high_lullaby99 (instagram profile)
During the 19th ct. in the town of Bol lived a large Vuković family of 6 brothers.

3 of them were priests and the other 3 were successful naval captains.

The brothers owned a fairly large sailing ship which successfully traded the Mediterranean and earned them a great wealth.⬇️
They lent a lot of their money to citizens of Bol; among them there was a guy names Marko with nickname Sila (Force) cause of his fierced nature.

Marko owned a considerable piece of land and as he could not repay his debts, he sold it to the Vukovićs piece by piece. ⬇️
In one moment everyhting he owned was the his house (smaller one in the picture) but the land surrounding it was sold to Vuković family.
⬇️
3 merchant brorhers on one of their trips met an equal number of Spaniards who were so beautiful and exotic to them that they immediately decided to marry them and bring them to Croatia.
⬇️
In order to have a place to live they decided to build a large house on 3 floors (pallace, paloc in local dialect).

They found the most suitable land exactly the one on which Marko Sila's house still stood, so they offered him a lot of money to buy it.
⬇️
But Marko refused to sell it. Unable to reach an agreement with Marko, the Vukovićs sought the help of local mayor Vužić. There was a fight which included death threats and finally Marko the Force had to flee from Bol to Republic of Ragusa (#Dubrovnik).
⬇️
Im his absence brothers began building walls around Mark's house with a plan to demolish it later.

The news also reached the Force and he surreptitiously returned with two barrels of gunpowder, which he placed in holes under the walls with the intention of tearing them down.⬇️
As soon as he wanted to light the gunpowder, the gendarmes arrived, so Marko had to flee again, and construction could continue.

The walls for all 3 floors were erected and all that still needed to be done was the roof and floor.
6 brothers went to Venice to buy wooden materials for them. On their return, a great tragedy befell them. A terrible storm arose and sank their sailboat leaving no one alive.

Since they had no descendants, the lineage of the Vuković family in Bol on Brač died on that day.⬇️
After some time Marko the Force returned to Bol and continued to live in his old (small) house within the unfinished walls.

Marko died with no descendents.

And so we have house within the house and a great story.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Ante Krištić ⛪

Ante Krištić ⛪ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Antimon_Zg

Jan 21
Malo o grobovima hrvatskih kraljeva.

Pročitate li ovaj 🧵 saznat ćete odgovor na pitanje gdje su se nalazili grobovi nekih naših vladara i kako je hrvatska historiografija došla do te spoznaje.

Ove informacije trebao bi poznavati svatko tko imalo drži do povijesti Hrvata.⬇️ Image
U prvoj polovini 13. st. u Splitu je živio i djelovao kao arhiđakon stanoviti Toma, čija je ostavština djelo o povijesti salonitanske (=splitske) crkve poznato kao Historia Salonitana. Image
Toma nije bio Hrvat (kao što ni Split nije bio Hrvatska).

Ovaj detaljčić bitan je samo da shvatite da Tomino djelo nije nikakvo pristrano štivo puno uljepšavanja što se tiče "hrvatske strane". Hrvati su tu sporedan faktor, susjedi s kojima se njegov Split često sukobljava.
Read 31 tweets
Dec 26, 2023
Do you know what is a [small?] contribution of 3 members of Croatian people to the whole Christian world?

What could be possible relation between Christ, Gethsemane garden and Croatians?
🧵 Image
Well, the year is 1681 when 3 brothers, Antun [Anthony], Pavao [Paul] i Jakov [Jacob] Branković, Croats from city of Sarajevo (🇧🇦), decided to sell everything what they had and buy a Gethsemane garden from its then owners (some Turkish Muslims) and gifted it to the Franciscans.⬇️ Image
Garden is today ownership of Franciscan order and thus is preserved for the whole Christian world.

Commemorative plaque is revealed so that all pilgrims can remember and thank to those three brothers. Image
Read 5 tweets
Dec 19, 2023
Posljednja bosanska kraljica Mara Branković, udovica kralja Stjepana Tomaševića, nakon pada Bosne (lipanj 1463.g.) nekoliko godina živjela je u [mletačkom] Splitu, u samostanu Sv. Stjepana pod Borovima (na današnjem Sustipanu).

To su oni borići s druge strane zaljeva.

O tome... Image
...jasno svjedoči pismo mletačke vlade svom knezu u Split datiranom 11.XII.1469.

Iz tog pisma saznajemo da je splitski knez prethodno pisao u Veneciju da kraljicu Maru u samostanu često posjećivali neki Bosanci i Ugri. Image
Mletačka vlada takve je susrete smatrala opasnim jer nije imala kontrolu o čemu se tu "šuška", stoga su u pismu splitskom knezu dali nalog da si u glavni zadatak stavi da kraljicu Maru na fini način nagovori da napusti Split pod raznim izgovorima. Image
Read 12 tweets
Apr 20, 2023
Unpopular opinion:
Kralj Petar Krešimir IV i hrvatske granice!

Jesu li i vas (na)učili da je hrvatska [srednjovjekovna] država svoj najveći doseg/opseg ostvarila za vrijeme vladavine kralja Petra Krešimira IV?

Te su teze najčešće potkrijepljivane kartama kakve vidimo ispod 👇🏽. Image
Karte su neujednačene što se tiče srednjovjekovne Slavonije. Potpuno s razlogom jer izvori za Slavoniju toliko su škrti tako da ni dan danas ne postoji apsolutan i neoboriv stav da je Slavonija bila u sklopu Hrvatskog kraljevstva, a ako i jest, u kojim granicama [prema istoku]. ImageImage
No, manje-više sve se slažu u pogledu Bosne!

Mainstream povijest tvrdi nam da je Bosna bila u sastavu Hrvatske kraljevine za vrijeme Tomislava, u međuvremenu je ta (pre)vlast izgubljena zbog sukoba unutar Hrvatske, a Petar Krešimir je tu vlast nad Bosnom ponovno uspostavio. Image
Read 12 tweets
Jan 3, 2023
Thread 🧵
Jeste li znali da se područje koje danas obuhvaća gradove #Okučani, #Novska, #Daruvar i #Pakrac u srednjem vijeku nazivalo #Svetačje?

Mili-isječak iz povijesti srednjovjekovne Slavonije + jedan iz popisa [u pravilu izostavljeni] hrvatski ban.
Termin "srednjovjekovna Slavonija" puno je drugačiji i širi od onoga što je danas poznato kao moderna Slavonija.
U srednjem vijeku Slavonija je obuhvaćala svu današnju Hrvatsku sjeverno od rijeke Kupe, današnju zapadnu Slavoniju i sjeverozapadni dio BiH.

Ponekad bi se protegla sve do Dunava, ali uglavnom je kroz stoljeća bila u ovom dolje području na karti
Read 16 tweets
Jan 13, 2022
Thread:
Heroes of Gvozdansko!

#OnThisDay (January 13) in 1578 Ottomans captured Croatian fortress #Gvozdansko.

This event has absolutely no echo in European history because it was one relatively small fortress which fell to Ottomans among so many others.

One mega BUT follows
Story of its siege and final fall into hands of the enemy hides most vivid example of the greatest possible heroism of the defenders absolutely rare in the history of warfare which amazed even the enemy.
⤵️
Average person has heard of the Alamo and probably of 🇮🇱 fortress of Masada. Less average person heard about Alkazar fortress in 🇵🇹.

All these are world-sung examples of resistance to the occupier and endless heroism of the defending soldiers.
⤵️
Read 45 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(