SokoAnalyst Profile picture
Nov 11, 2021 13 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Research suggests that micro businesses and SMEs account for 95 percent of firms in most countries, create jobs, contribute to GDP, aid industrial development, satisfy local demand for services, innovate and support large firms with inputs and services #SMEHelpingHand Image
In Africa, SMEs create 80 percent of employment, establishes a new middle class and stimulates the demand for new goods and services. The region is set to have a decline in economic growth with less than 3 percent average growth forecast for 2022 #SMEHelpingHand Image
Nevertheless, pockets of countries in Africa, mainly non-resource intensive countries such as Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Kenya and Senegal, are foreseen to continue to grow at more than 6 percent as the economies recover from COVID-19. Ethiopia has a RED FLAG given the civil strife Image
According to the IMF, growth in these countries has been supported by infrastructure investment efforts and strong private consumption. Many African countries are turning to entrepreneurs to support future growth #SMEHelpingHand Image
With entrepreneurship playing a vital role in the development of a vibrant and formal small business-sized sector, there is much scope for SMEs to support African growth #SMEHelpingHand Image
In Kenya, SMEs play a key role in economic development and job creation. In 2021, POST COVID-19, 96% of jobs created were dominated by these enterprises #SMEHelpingHand Image
The term micro and small enterprises (MSEs) or micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), is used to refer to SMEs in Kenya and under the Micro and Small Enterprise Act of 2012, micro enterprises have a maximum annual turnover of KES 500,000 and employ less than 10 people. Image
Small enterprises have between KES 500,000 & 5M annual turnover and employ 10-49 people. However, medium enterprises are not covered under the act, but have been reported as comprising of enterprises with a turnover of between KES 5M and 800 million and employing 50-99 employees Image
Most SMEs fall under the informal sector and by extension, the term informal refers to people in self-employment or small-scale industries #SMEHelpingHand Image
The informal sector is estimated to constitute 98 percent of business in Kenya, contributing 30% of jobs and 3 percent of Kenya’s GDP. The government recognizes the role of the informal sector and seeks ways to integrate these businesses into the formal sector #SMEHelpingHand Image
The following are challenges faced by SMEs;
1. Lack of adequate managerial training.
2. Lack of adequate finance and limited access to credit.
3. Rapid Technology Changes.
4. New Laws & Regulations. Double legislation at National & County Level.
5. Inadequate Knowledge & Skills. Image
Inclusive economic growth and development requires a serious consideration of the opportunities and challenges faced by SMEs. Join us this evening as we delve into SME issues. What are your thoughts? @sokodirectory @JimnahMbaru Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with SokoAnalyst

SokoAnalyst Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SokoAnalyst

Apr 4
I reached out to a friend of mine from childhood. We been good friends. I needed his help to sort an emergency financial matter. He picked up. He asked me if we can meet & I said yes, in fact I was hoping for the same. Let me tell you Maina, do not do BIZ with GOK

Thread 🧵
We met and my friend wasn’t himself. I thought I was in trouble but it turned out he was in more serious trouble. My friend is regarded as a serious millionaire. He is in logistics, farming and real estate. He has three wives & they know each other. So I asked my boy, whats up?
We order coffee ☕️ & I see my friend removing some bottle from his jacket pocket & pouring some hard liquor into the coffee cup. Am like; Image
Read 20 tweets
Jul 27, 2023
A story in pictures alone:

Thread 🧵 🪡

Read 5 tweets
Jun 14, 2023
We Shall Be Here No Matter What: Pass The Finance Bill, We Are Ready sokodirectory.com/2023/06/we-sha…

#Thread
With all things remaining constant, the controversial Finance Bill 2023 will sail through the National Assembly. During the First Reading, the opposition threw punches, water bottles, and screamed, but it seems it will still sail through wapende wasipende. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
As the Bill continues to near its passing (which is now obvious), President William Ruto seems to have climbed down like Zakayo from a tree and agreed to move the controversial Housing Fund from the initial 3 percent to 1.5 percent; sokodirectory.com/2023/06/we-sha… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Read 4 tweets
Jun 13, 2023
I have always taken pride in sharing information on Financial Literacy and supporting key players in the sector: This is why we signed a Partnership Memorandum with @TheAbojani to be the platform for the best and good quality Financial Literacy Education.

Thread 🧵 🪡

Here is… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Financial literacy training lays the foundation for understanding fundamental financial concepts such as budgeting, saving, investing, and debt management. It equips individuals with the necessary knowledge and tools to make sound financial decisions throughout their lives:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
The Power of Financial Literacy And Visionary Leadership: 42 Laws Of Money And Insights From Business Titans On Creating Generational Wealth: sokodirectory.com/2023/04/the-po…
Read 6 tweets
Jun 13, 2023
Entrepreneurship Is Not For The Weak At Heart sokodirectory.com/2022/03/entrep…

Thread 🧵 🪡

You will apply to 100 clients and 90 will outright reject you. The other 10 will give you promises to engage you and then never pick up your calls or reply to your emails.
Entrepreneurship IS NOT for the weak at heart. It will have you falling more than how our politicians have failed us. And it will depend on how many times you manage to rise after every fall.

You will sacrifice everything trying to build something that your family will hate… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Tears will be your best friend. Sweat will be your companion. Blood will be your partner. Guts will be that neighbor that cheers for you always. Bad days will be more common than good days. In a week, only a day will give you hope that will propel you forward.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 13, 2023
Dear Entrepreneur, Here Is How Indecision Can Ruin Your Life And Opportunities sokodirectory.com/2023/05/dear-e…

Thread 🧵🪡
Indecision is the state of being unable to make up one’s mind or choose a course of action. It is often caused by fear, doubt, confusion, or lack of information.
One of the most famous quotes about indecision is attributed to Marcus Tullius Cicero, a Roman philosopher, and statesman: “More is lost by indecision than wrong decision. Indecision is the thief of opportunity. It will steal you blind.” This quote implies that indecision is… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(