David Gorski, MD, PhD Profile picture
Nov 12, 2021 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Sigh. Just when I thought @Twitter was doing a bit better, it goes and amplifies this as “science.” Image
Geez, @Twitter and @TwitterSafety, this is the worst one yet, straight up antivax misinformation tagged as “science.” It’s not even subtle. Image
And I would have no problem with it if if this were to happen.
And @Twitter continues to mangle “Science” with its tag. Image
And @Twitter continues to amplify misinformation, this time one of the worst #COVID19 quacks. Image
And the examples of how @Twitter algorithms flag antivax lies as "science" and the utter ineffectiveness of @TwitterSafety just keep flowing. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with David Gorski, MD, PhD

David Gorski, MD, PhD Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @gorskon

Oct 23, 2023
Some recent prepandemic history: Antivaxxers blamed residual DNA in HPV vaccines for all sorts of autoimmune diseases. They claimed that the DNA passed the blood-brain barrier, got into neurons, and then led to the production of nonself proteins that caused autoimmune responses.
That autoimmune response was blamed for autism. (Never mind that the age at which children get HPV vaccines is way past the age at which autism is most commonly diagnosed.) Just Google "homologous recombinaltion tiniker" if you don't believe me.
Or, just check out my post from 2011, when I discuss an antivax "review article" where the hilarious typo that is "homologous recombinaltion tiniker" appeared as the author tried to make this case about "fetal DNA" in Gardasil and autoimmunity. respectfulinsolence.com/2011/04/05/the…
Read 7 tweets
Aug 2, 2023
Antivaxxers have long made exactly the same sorts of accusations against scientists they don’t like. Conspiracy theorists labor under the delusion that NIH funding is strictly quid pro quo, rather than based on scientific merit as determined by rigorous study section review.
The @NRO op-ed to which he's responding is pure conspiracy theory. Just because #lableak is a *possible* explanation for #COVID19, that does not make it likely or evidence-based, nor does it render the story spun by NRO any less a conspiracy theory.
@NRO Another thing conspiracy theorists like @NRO like to do is to put way too much emphasis on one study or paper, either beloved (e.g., Andrew Wakefield's case series) or hated (e.g., proximal origins) and portray it as the be-all and end-all of evidence for or against a conclusion.
Read 19 tweets
Aug 1, 2023
The real subtext is, of course, the same message promoted by charlatans throughout history: Don’t trust *them*. Trust *me*.
I wonder if @VPrasadMDMPH knows that @nickgillespie has long advocated the dismantling of @US_FDA because, like a lot of deluded libertarians, he thinks it’s keeping life saving drugs from the people when in reality its approval standards have slipped. thedailybeast.com/kill-the-fda-b…
Back in 2014 he viewed the threat of Ebola as a means of pushing his FDA-hostile libertarian agenda. He must really love #COVID19. thedailybeast.com/the-upside-of-…
Read 10 tweets
Jul 3, 2023
Once again, @RobertKennedyJr has resurrected the deceptive antivax claim that most childhood #vaccines have never been tested in randomized controlled trials with #Saline #placebo control to portray vaccines as unsafe (or at least as inadequately tested). sciencebasedmedicine.org/rfk-jr-resurre…
Crossover study designs, how do they work?🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
@J_MeD_ @RobertKennedyJr I myself have been in a similar position, not from RFK Jr. criticizing me, but from Mike Adams publishing something like 40+ defamatory articles about me on his website over the course of 2016.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 27, 2023
Reporters, now ask @RobertKennedyJr and his spokespeople this question at every event. EVERY EVENT! Don't let them weasel out of answering like this. Hammer them with this question every time they complain about being called "antivaccine."
Use the tactic that I've been advocating for many years now. It frustrates the hell out of me that so few reporters use this very simple technique when interviewing RFK Jr. respectfulinsolence.com/2022/12/05/wha…
Start out with the question that @JohnGHendy asked. I've even been suggesting followups since 2010, as well as clever answers that more wary antivaxxers might give.

Read 11 tweets
May 24, 2023
Breaking: Antivaxxers are regurgitating antivax misinformation from two decades ago.🙄
Mr. Kirsch has moved the year up now years, to 2014; so I guess that's...progress? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Seriously, there is no antivax conspiracy theory too old and debunked that Mr. Kirsch won't enthusiastically embrace it as though it were new. 😂
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(