Chris Rentsch Profile picture
Nov 15, 2021 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
UPDATED briefest possible explanation of CO₂ #climatechange physics:

(1/12) Any warm object radiates energy at wavelengths depending on its temperature, the distribution of which is described by Planck's Law:
2. The sun's surface temperature is 5,778 K, so Planck's Law predicts it will radiate primarily at visible light wavelengths. Image
3. Earth receives 1,362 W/m² from the sun in a combination of UV, visible and infrared radiation, but 29.5% is immediately reflected by clouds or the surface. The remaining 70.5% (960 W/m²) is absorbed by land, air and oceans.
4. The sun illuminates the disk of Earth (area = πr²) but our spherical plant has an area = 4πr². To maintain energy equilibrium and steady surface temperature, the average square meter of Earth's surface must emit 240 W/m² (960 W/m² ÷ 4 = 240 W/m²). Image
5. From the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, we can calculate the surface temperature that will radiate exactly 240 W/m² (255 K). If we plug this temp. back into Planck's Law, we calculate that Earth will glow in a distribution of wavelengths mostly in thermal infrared (4-50 μm). Image
6. This would be the case if Earth had no atmosphere. Instead, greenhouse gasses (GHGs) absorb & re-radiate Earth's outgoing infrared, producing a jagged emission to space.
7. IR-active GHGs suppress emission in some portions of the spectrum, requiring surface warming of about +33 K to maintain 240 W/m² of outgoing thermal infrared (equilibrium with the sun). But the warmer surface now emits 390 W/m², 150 W/m² more than it would without GHGs. Image
8. This +33 K warmer surface temperature and the additional 150 W/m² thermal infrared is the greenhouse effect (GHE). Human additions of CO₂, CH₄, and other minor gasses have further increased this by ~3 W/m² so far. Image
9. How much warming does +3 W/m² produce?
•Easier part is calculating effects from infrared absorption alone.
•Harder part is how clouds, ice, and vegetation respond. Clouds and ice reflect a lot of sunlight, while trees absorb it. Climate models don't agree on these feedbacks. Image
10. Consequently, warming estimates have historically varied over a wide range: 1.0-6.0°C per doubling of CO₂ (Knutti-2017). Recently the IPCC AR6 report has concluded there is enough evidence to tighten this range to 2.5-4.0°C. Image
11. Future warming also depends on how quickly & how much more GHG's are added. While some have feared worst-case-scenarios RCP8.5 or SSP5-8.5, current emissions projections much more modest (dire media headlines are usually based on RCP8.5 studies) Image
12. Any campaign to change the status quo may tend to construct two simple, clear-cut categories: pro- and anti-climate action. In fact, Americans can be categorized according to at least six levels of concern regarding climate change: Image
As usual, my goal is 100% accuracy. If something is incorrect, feel free to let me know.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Chris Rentsch

Chris Rentsch Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @crentsch

Jul 22, 2023
Let’s debunk another electric car meme that @TakesByLevin and @BJul1989 seem to think is true: Image
1) That isn’t a lithium mine, it is a diamond mine. The Mirny mine in Siberia, Russia closed in 2004.
https://t.co/crFyplhVdYamusingplanet.com/2013/04/abando…

2) US aviation fuel consumption is currently 23 billion gal/yr, close enough to claimed 19 billion gal/yr. Image
Read 9 tweets
Apr 26, 2023
By now you've surely seen this figure, it was the talk of #climatetwitter today. But the most interesting part is the region I've circled. It's where Earth is constantly sliding in and out of ice ages 📉❄️📈🌲📉❄️📈🌲📉❄️
There's a paper you don't hear about very often Ganopolski-2016 that starts with Earth's orbital eccentricity, obliquity, and precession, which affect how much solar radiation the Northern hemisphere receives. Then it calculates...
...how much CO₂ is needed to boost the greenhouse effect enough to have prevented those ice ages. Turns out, ~425 ppm is pretty good estimate for "ice-age proofing" Earth.
Read 4 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
Briefest possible explanation of CO₂ #climatechange physics - the DIY version:

(1/10) Earth receives 1,362 W/m² from the sun in a combination of UV, visible and infrared radiation.
📏You can measure it for yourself with a Hukseflux DR30-D1 Pyrheliometer
(2/10)The sun illuminates the disk of Earth (area = πr²) 📏You can calculate Earth's area for yourself the way the Greeks did it using shadows, or with a straight-edge and a view of an ocean + trig:
(3/10) 29.5% of incoming solar radiation is reflected by clouds or the surface.
📏You can measure this yourself with a Hukseflux SRA15 albedometer:
Read 11 tweets
Jan 7, 2023
This graphic suggests that manufacturing one electric vehicle causes enormous diesel emissions from the earth mover alone.

Is it true? Let's check the math:
From Caterpillar's website the 994H has a 1577 HP engine and can lift 35 tons (77,000 lbs) at once.

1577 HP consumes 85 gal/hr at 100% throttle, but it's not expected to consistently operate at full throttle & rated load (more likely 40-70% of each, I will use 60%)
One Tesla 85 kWh battery has about 275 kg of aluminum, which requires scooping up 5 tons of the red mineral bauxite. The CAT 994H doesn't haul the material, only lifts it into the truck. Assuming 30 lifts/hr, it consumes ~2 gal diesel/lift.
1 lift = 21 tons (4.2 Tesla batteries)
Read 9 tweets
Oct 6, 2021
100% consensus light travels 186,000 mph
⤷ because we can measure it

100% consensus that 𝑔 = 6.67...x10⁻¹¹ Nm²/kg²
⤷ because we can measure it

97% consensus that ↑CO₂ changes climate
...because CO₂ radiative forcing isn't measured

Measurement supersedes a consensus.
I'm ~not~ saying the climate consensus is wrong. I'm explaining why we even ~talk~ about a consensus.

With no direct CO₂ forcing measurement, climatologists study indirect effects like 🌡️ ocean heat content or 📉 stratosphere instead.
The effect of aerosols, ozone, ⛅️ & 🌋 are all accounted for, then what's left over is then attributed to increased CO₂, even though CO₂ radiative forcing wasn't directly measured (it was modeled w/computers).
Read 7 tweets
Nov 30, 2020
Over the last 14 months I have been refining the briefest possible explanation of CO₂ #climatechange physics:

(1/15) Any warm object radiates energy at wavelengths depending on its temperature. The distribution of wavelengths is described by Planck's Law:
2. Planck's Law predicts that the Sun, having a surface temperature of 5,800 degrees, will radiate mostly at visible light wavelengths.
3. The sun-facing side of Earth receives 1,362 W/m² in a combination of visible and infrared radiation.
Source: Kopp & Lean doi.org/10.1029/2010GL…
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(