Jeff McFadden Profile picture
Nov 20, 2021 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
These are a couple of pictures of what's called a "slip", a horsedrawn excavation tool. In the black and white pic, one man is digging a basement with one horse and a slip.
I own one. I'm about to go hook my girls to it. ImageImage
Here's mine. I put these replacement handles on it. They don't fit quite right. ImageImageImage
This part is called an evener or a doubletree. Each donkey hooks to one of the short bars, and the long bar hooks to the load. Image
Thusly. Image
I have never operated one of these. A slip. I have operated a two horse walking plow, which works on similar principles.
When you have to use both hands to steer the implement, you steer the team with the lines wrapped around your shoulders / neck / back. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jeff McFadden

Jeff McFadden Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JeffAndDonkeys

Oct 11
When I post about my intention to vote for Vice President Harris for President this election, I get one of 3 basic packaged responses.
1: Don't you care about genocide?
2: Good work, so am I, For The Climate!
3: How can you support a Big Party Professional Politician candidate?
2. Yes, I care about genocide.
There is no remotely electable candidate who will do jack shit about it.
I regret that. Deeply.
I feel that we are currently supporting the most brutal, aggressive, murderous regime and nation, except maybe Russia, in the developed world. Israel.
3. This week I have had people try to convince me that Don Old Trump is a "peace" candidate.
Har har.
Don Old Trump is a puppet candidate. If Putin wants us to stop supporting Israel Tmurp might, but that's no reason to elect him.
We'll be killing somebody. We always do. NMF.
Read 12 tweets
Oct 5
So, on the one hand we've got this.
On the other hand we have demands to fix the roads.
Which takes, regardless of what somebody may have told you, lots of time, lots of fossil fuels, and lots of concrete.
2. It is a simple fact that building the interstate and other highways, building the cars which ran on them, and running said cars on said highways, were all major contributors to global heating and the resultant extreme weather events
Building them back will make it worse faster
3. We have a swath across the southeastern US where segments of that concrete, high speed infrastructure are gone.
Meanwhile, in the western US, we have so many wild donkeys that we're killing them for the cattle.
Unlike many wild horses, wild donkeys are trainable.
I've done it.
Read 11 tweets
Sep 29
Leon wants me to get very fried.
Or berry dyed.
Or something. Comes with a blue dot with a white check in it, almost universally known as a "blue check."
Which when you think about how much more interested America is with speed than quality, makes sense. Image
2. I was verified for a year, not the old real verified, I asked but Twitter said I was a nobody and not worth verifying.
Which, to be fair, wasn't a view unique to them.
But Leon doesn't give two hoots about facts, in fact, facts fuck up his system and are to be deprecated.
3. I didn't get verified because I wanted to be Verified and have a Blue Check. I got verified because I was in an extensive DM conversation, and unless you're verified you can only have X number of DMs per month, and I had exceeded that and felt the need to continue.
So I bribed
Read 7 tweets
Sep 26
1: Unlike most doomers, I believe that we could, if we chose, take specific actions which would reduce the level of ecosystem degradation we do, and in fact we could, over roughly a decade, move from degradation to improvement.
Sadly, this is a distinction without a difference,
2. because there is no societal interest in taking any productive actions.
If we want to reduce emissions, the way to do so is to burn less fossil fuels.
There is no other way.
If we want to reduce non-emissions ecosystem degradation, the way is to reduce mining, paving, cutting.
3. If we want to reduce toxic pollution, the way is to produce less toxins.
If we want to reduce plastic pollution, the way is to produce less plastic.
If we want to reduce PFAS pollution, the way is to produce less PFAS.
Read 16 tweets
Aug 27
I used to write about climate change. I went about 5 years, writing a thread at least 5 days a week.
Although the global ecosystem is massively degraded and losing functions, I believe it still would act towards a restoration of a livable climate for the current biosphere if.
2. If, that is, we would let it.
If we would quit degrading it.
Yes, I am aware that there are over 8 billion of us. As it is today, roughly two billion of us extract and reduce to trash at least 8 to 10 times more resources per unit of time, per person, than the other 6 billion.
3. We have all these excuses. People would starve if they couldn't get from zero to 60 mph in under ten seconds, people would starve if we couldn't commute by personal jet, a thousand miles one way.
It's all bullshit.
The other 6 billion aren't starving. Lots of them are hungry,
Read 22 tweets
Aug 4
So ...
What have I been doing in the earth shattered heat wave?
I bought a new guitar. New to me. Made in 1956. It's a ten string non-pedal steel guitar, and the most fascinating instrument I've ever encountered.
2. I'm consuming resources to operate it.
It's electric.
I have an 8 watt (maximum) Boss Katana Mini amplifier which runs on 6 AA batteries. My Peterson tuner is lithium ion rechargeable.
As kilowatts go it's a fairly low end consumer, but it's all energy.
4. This thing was designed by a man named Elbern H. Alkire, known professionally as Eddie.
Eddie's objective was to create a non-pedal steel guitar which addressed the same playability issues that pedal steels were invented for.
The Alkire Eharp was Betamax to pedal steel's VHS.
Read 26 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(