Neil Shenvi Profile picture
Nov 22, 2021 8 tweets 5 min read Read on X
A few days ago, @DennyBurk posted this picture of an @MSNBC legal analyst with the book #CriticalRaceTheory: The Key Writings in the background.

Given the pushback, I thought I'd show how CRT can help us understand progressive commentary on the #Rittenhouse verdict. A thread: 1/
CRT asserts that racism is "ordinary, not aberrational." It is the "usual way society does business" (Delgado and Stefancic, CRT: An Introduction, p. 8).
This is especially true in our legal system, where ideas like "liberalism, neutrality, objectivity, colorblindness, and meritocracy… camouflage [how] racial advantage propels the self-interests, power, and privileges of the dominant group" (Harper et al., JHE, 2009)
Even instances of racial progress/justice can be explained away as "interest convergence," the notion that "whites will allow and support racial justice/progress to the extent that there is something positive in it for them" (Hartlep, Going Public, p. 157) 4/
Finally, while traditional legal scholars might ground law in some "universal system of right and wrong", CRTs insist that "political and moral analysis is situational—‘truths only exist for this person in this predicament at this time in history’” (Matsuda et al., p. 20-21) 5/
On this view, Rittenhouse's exoneration was further evidence of a racist legal system constructed for the benefit of whites. Appeals to "due process" and "the right to self-defense" are mere excuses to preserve a systemically racist legal system. 6/
Appeals to recent cases where black defendants were exonerated under the same legal principles as Rittenhouse can be seen as mere instances of "interest convergence," where Blacks happen to benefit from laws that still serve White interests. 7/
sports.yahoo.com/jury-acquits-g…
In conclusion, if we want to understand our current cultural moment and progressive reactions to the #Rittenhouse verdict, it helps to understand #CriticalRaceTheory. You can read more here from CRTs in their own words with no commentary. 8/8
shenviapologetics.com/what-is-critic…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Neil Shenvi

Neil Shenvi Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NeilShenvi

Jul 1
I just finished a section on queer theory for my new book. Check out this fascinating example of queer theory's inherent instability.

Here's the original "Genderbread Person," created by cartoonist Sam Killerman in Jan. 2012. Notice the four categories and double arrows: 1/ Image
Fast forward to March 2012. This is "Genderbread Person 2.1"

Each double arrow has now split into *two* separate arrows because the original figure implied that you exist at one place on the woman-man spectrum. Note also the extra text explaining how complicated gender is. 2/ Image
It's 2015, and now we have a rival depiction, because Genderbread Person was problematic.

The Gender Unicorn splits sexual orientation into two categories, and has added a third arrow to each category, as well as fixing "several other issues" with the Genderbread graphic. 3/ Image
Read 6 tweets
Oct 11, 2023
Enjoyed @AbigailShrier's excellent talk at UNC last night. Some selected (rough) quotes from my 5-pages of notes:

"Gender ideology is a religion: gender identity is the secular version of a soul and gender transition is baptism."

1/
To parents of college students:

"Schools are not your friends. They will undermine you at every turn... If your Ivy League kid declares they're trans, ditch your Ivy League dreams and pull them out or you'll look back and wish you had." 2/
On UNC's free-speech group:

"It's great that you're part of a free-speech group, but you shouldn't need to be. Free speech should be the default on college campuses." 3/
Read 5 tweets
Aug 5, 2023
Story time:

My wife and I first attended Summit 13 years ago. There was a small coffee bar in the foyer and the church bulletin was well-designed and glossy. There were video trailers before the sermon.

I was offended.

I was thinking of my old church in New Haven, CT.
1/
It had no money. The church bulletin was printed five minutes before service by the church secretary. We rented space from a SDA church.

"That's a *real* church," I thought to myself. "Not this Joel Osteen stuff."

But we stayed for the service.
2/
The worship songs were theologically rich, and I still remember the sermon. Trevor Atwood preached on adoption from Ephesians. He had adopted two sons internationally, and he preached the glorious doctrine of our adoption as sons of God.

"This isn't Joel Osteen." I thought. 3/
Read 8 tweets
Apr 26, 2023
What happens after the normalization of trans?

The normalization of pedophilia through abolishing age of consent laws.

Am I being alarmist? Thread:

Queer theory argues that the gender binary is an oppressive social construct. Women are "constructed" as weak and helpless, 1/
while men are constructed as strong and competent. Thus, "liberation" requires us to expose and deconstruct the gender binary.

But the gender binary is just one of *many* oppressive binaries. Here's Wilchins in Queer Theory, Gender Theory (46-47) 2/ Image
What's another binary? The adult/child binary. Listen to Lakey et al: "People are just beginning to have a glimpse of what oppression based on age involves.. Children are...considered helpless, dependent, and cute..They experience 10-15 years of unpaid labor and brainwashing" 3/
Read 11 tweets
Mar 19, 2023
What’s the optimal way to play poker? I was curious, so over the weekend, I solved a simple version of this problem.

The results were fascinating: 1/
Let's imagine a game called "poker-lite." Two players each put an ante of $1 into a pot and are each given a card numbered 0 to 100.

Player 1 can either fold (Player 2 wins the pot), or bet $1.

Then Player 2 can either fold (Player 1 wins the pot) or also bet $1 to call. 2/
If Player 2 calls, then the player with the higher card wins the pot.

IOW:
If Player 1 folds, Player 2 wins $1.
If Player 1 bets, and then Player 2 folds, Player 1 wins $1.
If neither player folds, then the player with the higher card wins $2.

How similar is this to poker? 3/
Read 12 tweets
Feb 24, 2023
Greetings new followers! Here is a thread of articles I've written about the incompatibility of Christianity and critical theory.

"critical theory is a serious and growing threat to the church" 1/
thegospelcoalition.org/article/incomp…
""the central ideas of contemporary critical theorists must be rejected by Christians...they have adopted a framework that is fundamentally incompatible with Christianity in numerous ways." 2/
christianlegalsociety.org/sites/default/…
"CRT will hinder, not help, efforts towards racial unity, justice, and healing." 3/
shenviapologetics.com/summary-of-cli…
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(