Jesse Hawken Profile picture
Nov 30, 2021 17 tweets 6 min read Read on X
"Get Back" was okay, I really wish they had interviewed some of today's top artists for the film. Would have liked to see Dave Grohl say that there wouldn't have been Nirvana or the Foo Fighters without the Beatles, to put the band in historical context
"There were four guys. John, Paul, George and - you know where I'm going with this - Ringo."
"Ringo, man, he was like a drum machine, you gotta remember this was -before- the invention of the drum machine"
"They called George 'the quiet one' of the group, but when he spoke, everyone listened. Well, except John"
"When 'Come Together' starts and you just hear that guitar go 'shunk shunk doo-doo-DOO, doo', you just know man, this is The Beatles right here"
"Helter Skelter, man, that's like the original punk song. Would we have punk rock without The Beatles? I dunno man, I can't answer that question. I don't WANT to answer that question"
"The first time I ever heard em, I must have been about 15, and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' comes on the radio and I pulled over to a payphone and called my girlfriend, didn't even wait for her to pick up, I was like 'have you ever heard of this band The Beatles?'"
"I guess enough time's past I can admit it, right? The Beatles were a huge influence on Oasis. Huge. Those mellotrons on 'Morning Glory'? We nicked that from the Lads"
"Without John Lennon and Paul McCartney, there would be no Elton John and Bernie Taupin. That's the honest truth"
"The rock and roll drummer, as we know it, as we understand it, would not exist without Ringo Starr."
"We played a little rooftop concert of our own, ya know. Got into a little trouble with the law ourselves. I guess you could say it was kind of our tribute to the Lads"
"I gotta be honest with you, it took me a while to get into their early records"
(plays the end of Eleanor Rigby) "This was something you never heard in the popular music of the time"
"I remember thinking to myself, Pharrell, don't screw this up, you're performing one of Paul McCartney's songs...in FRONT OF Paul McCartney!"
"Actually one of the songs in Hamilton was inspired by the Beatles breaking up"
“The whole country was absolutely mad for these four lads from Liverpool. They even had a word for it - they called it Beatlemania!”
"When you're in a band, you're gonna find yourself in conflict with your bandmates. That's just a fact, whether you are some high school punk band or the biggest act in music. And the Beatles WERE LITERALLY the biggest act in music! I mean, you can't imagine it"

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jesse Hawken

Jesse Hawken Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jessehawken

Apr 14, 2023
Is AFTER HOURS Scorsese's horniest movie? This was a formative viewing experience for teenaged me at any rate
Several of my biggest 80s crushes (Rosanna Arquette, Linda Fiorentino, Teri Garr and Catherine O'Hara) were in this
Letterman was obsessed with Teri Garr on "Late Night" to the point that he did a whole episode in his office and begged her to take a shower to close the episode, it was out of control and could never happen today (I think he's even apologized for being that horny) Image
Read 4 tweets
Apr 14, 2023
He has too many hits, and many of them aren't on this list
Like, his first hit isn't on the list, the song about the depressed Paris metro ticket puncher who finally shoots himself in the head

you could put a list together of 20 great songs he wrote for others to sing (melody by Chopin)

Read 6 tweets
Jul 8, 2022
When the Roe decision was leaked, that was a test to see how the Democrats would respond. They didn't do anything. They kidded themselves into thinking this was a draft and that the real decision would be different. That only emboldened the right. Now look where we are.
It's cruel at this point for the Dems to think they can fundraise off their own inactivity on this issue. This is all happening because of their intransigence & complacency. The fact that Roe was overturned while the Dems held the executive and the legislative branches? Pathetic
"We don't have enough votes" is what they say now and what they'll say if they pick up two more senate seats. And then if they pick up 10 more too.
Read 5 tweets
Feb 17, 2022
What annoys me about this “revelation” is that during the election this guy was pouring cold water on the mere suggestion that “Secure Our Future” or the Conservative Party tweeting 14 word tweets were hints that the party was dogwhistling to get RW extremist support
“If the Conservative Party was trying to appeal to Nazis for support then why weren’t they tweeting in German? Check. Mate.”
(sees a bunch of guns and weapons that have been confiscated) “Hmm, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that there are far right extremists involved in this movement”
Read 6 tweets
Nov 30, 2021
That's right
short thread of late Beatles covers that rule
Skinhead era Slade?
Read 12 tweets
Nov 28, 2021
Start writing those concession speeches now, I say
People voted for Biden to stop Trump and because they were told a Democrat president would reverse the bad things Trump did. Since they haven't, they are going to have a tough time convincing a majority of voters that they will suddenly change course in 2024
A Harris/Buttigieg ticket would be a nightmare because all the deranged K-Hive/Mayo Pete stans would alienate the entire left flank of the Democratic party
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(