Jo Maugham Profile picture
Dec 10, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
We’re @EachOtherUK. We’re launching our first comic today on young people's mental health for #humanrightsday2021 - via a takeover of @JolyonMaugham's account.

This is Marcus' story.

THREAD (1/9) ⬇️
Please note that this thread and images contains references to drug use, overdoses, depression and may be triggering to some people. (2/9)
Marcus’ issues began when he was excluded from school at 11, spiralling as he lost the structure school provided.
He found himself in complimentary education and stayed there until he was 15 and drifted into dealing drugs “For a young person doing nothing – the only thing TO do was to make money you know”. (4/9)
He was dealing more and more drugs, until he had a heroin overdose and ended up in hospital. Even though he didn’t realise it at the time, this was when he was given a life line, when he was first introduced to Jim (5/9)
Jim didn’t give up on Marcus, he became a constant in his life, and overtime things changed and he reconnected with his family (6/9)
Marcus went back to college and learned how to be a carpenter ‘And now I AM a carpenter!” (8/10)
Marcus has been able to hold on to the kindness of others and carve out a space for himself. (9/10)
You’re getting to see some examples of our first comic but there’ll be new strips released daily on the @EachOtherUK website and through our social media – eachother.org.uk

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jo Maugham

Jo Maugham Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JolyonMaugham

May 31
Lots of trans people believe that puberty blockers are a sop to a world that sees trans-ness as less desirable than cis-ness. 🧵
A society that embraced the state of being trans, runs the argument, would give cross-sex hormones to those of Gillick competence earlier: no other medical treatment imposes upon those able to make informed decisions an obligation to 'think' before making choices. Why this one?
They see this unique feature of trans healthcare as reflecting an inherent prejudice. It's a bit like our inglorious history of homophobia in which even loving parents said to their gay children, 'why are you doing this - it's such a difficult life?' as if being gay was a choice.
Read 6 tweets
May 30
Yesterday, in an act she describes as "bold" Victoria Atkins decided to ban puberty blockers, which give young people questioning their gender identity time to think before they take partially irreversible cross-sex hormones. 🧵 Image
The case for puberty blockers is that, in a world (and a nation) that is increasingly transphobic, they prevent the irreversible development of physical characteristics associated with the sex you were 'assigned at birth', that mean you will always find it difficult to 'pass'.
Imagine being a trans girl going through puberty, knowing your voice will drop and you will develop an Adam's apple which means you will be 'read' as a man in a transphobic world.
Read 17 tweets
May 25
Amazingly, the Daily Mail says that handing over my data, including data the Tories have shared with it, would breach its human rights. So we plan to sue it. goodlaw.social/2a13
The very same Daily Mail that wrote this 👇🏻 in an editorial leader column is seeking to rely on Article 10 of the ECHR to undermine the sovereignty of Parliament and ignore a piece of law that both Houses have approved. Image
After I threatened to sue the Tories they fessed up that they shared my personal data with some bottom feeding "press" outlets including the Mail.

So I made what the law calls "data subject access requests" of those bottom feeders to find out what it was sharing.
Read 7 tweets
May 20
The biggest VIP lane winner of the pandemic was a company called Innova. Good Law Project has seen a cache of documents from US courts about its 🤯 affairs. 🧵
We have identified forty five separate payments made to Innova by the Department of Health averaging over £100m EACH: a total of more than £4.5 billion paid by us to Innova. The court documents suggest those transactions generated profits of between $750m and $2bn for Innova.
Innova’s UK agent, Disruptive Nanotechnologies (aka Tried and Tested) is suing Innova for fraud. Robert Kasprzak, Innova’s lawyer, is suing Charles Huang, Innova’s CEO for fraud.
Read 33 tweets
Apr 11
So dense he creates his own gravitational field, is Dan Hodges. Let me explain why in words so simple even he can understand them. 🧵
First, I am not a Government MP. This matters because the Government has also sorts of powers to bully and coerce that normal citizens do not. That's why its conduct is subject to special safeguards and scrutiny - not that Hodges' bottom rag would know anything about that. Image
My second point illustrates the first. I did go to Court because the Met initially refused to investigate Partygate. It's a form of scrutiny that public bodies, like the Met, are rightly subject to, because of their enormous power.
Read 8 tweets
Apr 9
A few points on the so-called tax gap, the difference between the tax HMRC actually collects and its estimate of the total tax due. 🧵
First, it does not even purport to calculate sums lost through what tax wonks call Base Erosion and Profit Shifting - broadly speaking, tax dodging by multinationals. Image
Second, as @RichardJMurphy has pointed out, there is a pretty big curiosity in that our economy is worth ~£2,300 bn; most estimates give the size of the shadow economy as ~10%+; but the tax gap for the shadow economy is washers. (Only some of that VAT gap is 'shadow'.)
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(