Chalis Montgomery Profile picture
Jan 9, 2022 8 tweets 4 min read Read on X
This is a thread about my daughter, who is “unwell to begin with.” /1 Image
These were my daughter’s first steps. @CDCDirector doesn’t think she deserved to have them. #UnwellToBeginWith /2
Here she is at 2. #UnwellToBeginWith, but so proud to be learning about our country in preschool. She’s 11 now, and tells me she doesn’t think anyone in government cares about her because she has a disability. /3
My daughter at 4, dressed as Nancy Drew for book character day. Kids this age still cannot be vaccinated, but that doesn’t seem to matter to anyone in charge. Hospitalizations for this age group at record highs. It’s a mystery how @CDCDirector sleeps at night. /4 Image
Age 7. #UnwellToBeginWith but smart enough not to stare directly into the sun without eye protection during an eclipse. /5 Image
Ages 6 months and 10. Don’t kids who are #UnwellToBeginWith deserve to grow, have joy, and be safe in school? /6 ImageImage
Age 11, holding Domino. Domino’s world isn’t complete without Gwen, her talents, and her snuggles. I agree. She may be #UnwellToBeginWith, but she is fierce, kind, a loyal friend, smart, funny, & like everyone else with a disability, a necessary part of the fabric of our lives./7 Image
What I fear most is not the growing fascism on the right, but the open embrace of eugenics on the left.

For two years, too many folks have come to believe that those with pre-existing conditions are expendable.

Once we fully accept that premise, who else will we sacrifice? ###

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Chalis Montgomery

Chalis Montgomery Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TheChalis

Jul 13
As we get closer to the US election, or if there is more #Covid or #H5N1 news, expect to see more bot activity.

You *can* help to shut down the impact by doing the following:

1. Hide troll, but do not block right away. /🧵
2. Next, go to their profile. Very few followers and / or fairly recent account creation means it’s likely inauthentic.

3. Click on their followers, and block their followers. You’ll often find their followers are recent accounts, also with mostly very low numbers. /2
4. Next, click on their verified accounts. You’ll likely see a couple of very large accounts following your troll, which will be unusual esp. if the account doesn’t have spectacularly brilliant or unique insights. Be sure to block the big verified accounts following your troll /3
Read 4 tweets
Jul 7
Strictly hypothetically speaking, of course, what do you think this app would look like if there were globally high rates of lead poisoning that affected the prefrontal cortex?

Behavior would show increasing signs of reduced executive function and reasoning skills. 🧵
People would notice a change in others with more significant poisoning, and they would be alarmed at the implications of this going on unabated.

They might try to warn the public and repost mountains of scientific data.

They might try to lobby politicians for action. /2
If it were discovered that there was a global epidemic of lead contamination and governments were unwilling to act to educate the public on the risks, you might see individuals trying to take action to protect themselves and others. /3
Read 14 tweets
Jun 29
🚨
The #Chevron decision also paves the way for the realization of a long term fever dream of American fascism:

Full dismantling of the administrative state with all power concentrated in the office of the President and the back rooms of #SCOTUS.

Super brief 🧵
When the judiciary is eventually overwhelmed by cert requests and cases beyond their expertise, agencies will be unable to fulfill their missions to the extent the American public expects while they wait on judicial determinations on their regulations. /2
Calls will grow louder to “defund the (agency name),” likely because delays from the bench mean they fail in some critical mission.

Lawmakers will chip away at agencies in order to satiate the public rather than passing legislation to correct this enormous overreach. /3
Read 4 tweets
Jun 28
Brief explainer for overseas friends about what the Supreme Court of the United States did today in overturning what is called the Chevron deference, and why it really matters for issues of climate and global health.

We’ve really mucked it up again for everyone. 🧵
For many years, the precedent was that companies and individuals were subject to regulations imposed by federal agencies. Those agencies are headed by presidential appointees who are then confirmed by Congress. The agencies were free to make regulations specific to their niche /2
Because members of Congress and the judiciary do not have encyclopedic knowledge across all of agriculture, medicine, transportation, and environment to name a few, it made sense that these agencies were empowered to oversee activities that pertained to their unique expertise. /3
Read 16 tweets
Jun 5
Why is it, do you think, that there are still people trying to warn others about Covid?

We’re clearly not government-aligned: they’re the ones trying to bury the data.

It costs us opportunities and connections. It’s not great for clicks or monetizing your social media. 🧵
Posting about #Covid normally sees us trolled with demands to post research (link in bio, btw), rampant credentialism, and partisan talking points.

Sometimes, irrelevant personalities use our posts to rage farm and boost their engagement.

We still post. /2
These days, there are far fewer people still reading the research, staying abreast of treatments, and watching variants develop.

Those who do have a vested interest: are either scientists or have positions in community care or are “waysiders,” to borrow a phrase from Fauci. /3
Read 18 tweets
May 11
Covid is airborne and hangs in the air. Unless you have upgraded to the newest ASHRAE standards for air, this approach amounts to throwing on a condom mid-coitus. You may get lucky, have temporary resolvable symptoms, or a lifelong consequence. This rationalization is harmful. /1
I can appreciate the need to conform and the conflict that is borne out of being an outlier. I’ve studied the Asch experiments.

I cannot in good conscience engage with this premise to say how I would feel because OP is asking me to accept the risk to life and health as a given/2
I also have to draw a line at the approach that compromises on access. For severely immune compromised patients, this would still be unsafe, as others have been breathing in that space unmasked for hours prior. And no, they shouldn’t be relegated to “virtual only” for safety. /3
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(