Jonathan Eisen Profile picture
Jan 11, 2022 33 tweets 18 min read Read on X
1. Last week I had two doctor's appointments in Sacramento in the AM. And then a 2 hour Zoom from 10-12. I decided it would be nice to do the Zoom while in some scenic spot & I remembered I had seen reported of a pretty rare bird at the Nimbus Fish Hatchery close to where I was
2. I don't normally chase reported birds - just not my thing really - but I had to find somewhere to go and I do read some of the rare bird reports so I headed off to So after my second appointment I zipped on over to the Nimbus Fish Hatchery. wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Hatche…
3. I got there, connected to the Zoom on my phone and AirPods, video off, said hi, got out a battery backup charger, and got out of my car. Now, I was not there JUST to try and find the rare "long tailed duck" but figured I would look for it.
4. Only one major problem. I did not know where it was reported or what it looked like. (OK, I did not read the rare bird reports in detail, because, as I said, this was not my thing really).
5. So I got out my phone, opened my iBird app and looked up the long tailed duck. Wow. Really cool. Then I headed down towards the water from the parking lot, because, well, "duck" right? (OK I stopped at the fish ladder first because, OMG it is a ladder for fish)
6. And I got down to the water and boom - right there was a type of duck I had never seen. Now, mind you, it did not look a lot like the bird I had seen in the app, but I figured this had to be it. So I took, like a fuckton of pics. Here are some.
7. All the time, I was on the Zoom call, chiming in, even answering some polls. And eventually, I wandered around, ditching the duck, & took some more pics of birds & stuff. More about these in a bit but if you want to skip and see pics go to jonathaneisen.smugmug.com/2022/2022-1-5-…
8. Meanwhile I had contacted @lonna_wright (PhD student in my lab) who lives somewhat near there and since she had wanted to talk about work stuff we arranged to meet at the hatchery after my Zoom call would be over.
9. So I sat on a bench, took some more pics, did the Zoom, and waited for @lonna_wright. Ended the Zoom, and @lonna_wright showed up and we wandered around the fish hatchery for a while and I took yes, even more pics. Including of the educational signs at the hatchery.
10. And some more signs.
11. And got some creepy / cool pics of reflections of us looking at the fish in the ladder
12. And eventually I headed home and been very busy. So it has taken me until today to finish looking through the pics. And some really came out nice so I am going to share some here.
13. First, here is a collection of pics of the long tailed duck. jonathaneisen.smugmug.com/2022/2022-1-5-…
14. Also saw tons of common goldeneyes including these
15. But much cooler - another pretty rare bird - a Barrow's goldeneye with a nice crescent spot on its face
16. And got a nice series of pics of the Barrow's goldeneye that I made into a gif
17. And also made gifs of two series of pics of common goldeneyes too here is one
18. And here is the other
19. And just tons of common mergansers all over the place including these
20. And these
21. And a few more. I really love the last one with the water dripping off its bill
22. And I also made some gifs of mergansers in flight including this one
22. And this one
23. And this one
24. Oops forgot some of the common goldeneye pics
25. Also - got some nice shots of a ruby crowned kinglet flashing its ruby crown
26. Some cormorants
27. Lots of gulls such as these, the last of which might be a glaucous winged gull (I suck at gull ID, but that is what someone said on @inaturalist)
28. Yellow rumped warbler
29. White throated swifts
30. And more - again - best pics are here jonathaneisen.smugmug.com/2022/2022-1-5-…
31. And all observations for the day are at @inaturalist here inaturalist.org/observations?o…
Unroll please @threadreaderapp

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jonathan Eisen

Jonathan Eisen Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @phylogenomics

Jul 1, 2023
Yuck. Cold Spring Harbor Lab meeting "celebrating" 50 years of recombinant DNA is a #manel #YAMMM

With a history of issues in sexism (e.g. Watson) at CSHL this is sad. And bonus featuring Lander w/ his own history of issues as session chair & panel discussion leader
Years ago I routinely felt the need to critique Cold Spring Harbor meetings for their gender bias - eg see --- I had thought they had gotten better in response to critiques but clearly notphylogenomics.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-you…
Remember when Francis Collins made a big deal about how he would "respectfully, or not so respectfully, decline" participation in panels that did not have diverse speakers - pretty clear he is not keeping his promise cc: @AliceParkNY https://t.co/XVgHHpMT8ctime.com/5611142/manels…

Read 8 tweets
Jun 30, 2023
OK here you go @MicrobialFuture

900+ pics of Ridgeway rails compressed into 15 seconds.

1st had to align / crop the pics to smooth this out https://t.co/7StMWfHqKf
Also seen on the same walk with @MicrobialFuture

The tern and the fish.
Tern diving series
Read 6 tweets
Jul 28, 2022
Thank you @sacbee for this critically important editorial:

Masking in public should be mandatory, even if California officials refuse to take action sacbee.com/opinion/editor…

Attention @Chancellor_May @ucdavis - it is time for UC Davis to do the right thing
I agree:

"While deaths and hospitalizations are lower thanks to the availability of vaccines and treatments, we invite new risks by ignoring what we have learned after two-plus years and 1 million deaths."

Read more at: sacbee.com/opinion/editor…
Exactly:

"Reviving mask requirements in certain environments, such as public transportation, large indoor gatherings, certain school settings and workplaces, could reduce transmission without restricting public life."

Read more at: sacbee.com/opinion/editor…
Read 11 tweets
Jul 27, 2022
Looking for studies on impact of masks and vaccination on COVID transmission in classrooms.

I found this discussion of a recent paper - wondering if people have other pointers out there or comments on this study - thanks:

viterbischool.usc.edu/news/2022/05/u…
I also found this article which just came out a few days ago journals.plos.org/plosone/articl…
In this last paper the authors write "We show in our example application that universal use of masks that block 40% of aerosols & the installation of near-ceiling, fan-mounted UVC systems both have the potential to lead to substantial risk reductions .. "
Read 4 tweets
Apr 27, 2022
Thank you to the people speaking up against this horrible comment from Kipnis saying that if you critique an institution (like his) after you leave, you are disgusting. Such a bad take.
Read 6 tweets
Apr 25, 2022
Going to try to live Tweet this talk at @ucdavis by Frazier Benya on "Sexual Harassment: Where it Thrives and How to Prevent and Address it Within Higher Education"
Right now @ProvostCroughan and @RaquelEAldana are introducing Dr. Benya Image
Here is a link to the NAS Report on Sexual Harassment that was coordinated by Dr. Benya nap.nationalacademies.org/resource/24994…
Read 43 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(