Jeff McFadden Profile picture
Jan 12, 2022 12 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Something in this article caught my eye.
This quote:
3. Donald Trump in his most outrageous moment has never told a lie to equal this quote.
Never.
4. In an ideal world, highly paid thought leaders operate on the assumption that the laws of thermodynamics apply equally everywhere at all times.
We know where we get our energy, and we know where it goes.
If "the economy rebounds" more work is done on more materials using
5. more energy.
I got referred to, I believe, as a "country bumpkin". I have no formal education.
If there is a means by which work can be done without transferring energy into matter somebody let me know. I'm listening.
If we have energy sources that Lawrence Livermore Labs
6. Doesn't know about let them and me know. We're all listening.
If our economy is going to rebound in transportation, commerce, industry, or residential, it will require more energy.
Here's where it comes from.
Why do we let these educated people talk nonsense to us?
7. There has come to be this disconnect in all parts of the public conversation where we separate the things we want to do from the things we have to power them with.
We use words like "transition" to "renewables."
The proper term is "build and install."
We can't "transition."
8. They don't exist. Nobody ever made them. They're not out there.
That's why all the good parts don't start for 30 years.
During that 30 years we're building all that crap.
Using mostly fossil fuels because THEY'RE ALL WE HAVE.
Our economy is powered by fossil fuel.
In order to increase this economy based on this model we have to increase emissions.
I cannot express the extent of intellectual dishonesty inherent in that original quote. There is no known universe in which her "ideal world" could exist.
10. Every single new job "created" by the Biden Administration is fossil fuel powered.
One more job is one more emissions.
Two more jobs are two more emissions.
One new factory order is one more emissions.
When do we quit lying to ourselves?
Ever?
Energy is absolutely zero sum.
11. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed.
Energy cannot be created in an advertising agency.
In an ideal world the people of developed societies would not be blathered meaningless happy talk about energy free economies by highly paid certified experts.
I'm sick of liars.
Just as a PS -
We could create jobs that weren't fossil fuel powered. It would be easy.
We don't want to.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jeff McFadden

Jeff McFadden Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JeffAndDonkeys

May 13
I appreciate all of you who encourage me in my threads. I write them in the hope of literally, as one man, changing the world. I understand that the odds aren't good, but it remains physically possible, not to end or reverse climate change in less than century or two, but to
2. Reduce the rate at which we do increasing damage. We could immediately reduce motor fuel consumption, immediately. Not in 2025 or 2030 but in May of 2024.
This is a physical possibility, a relatively easy and low hassle one.
We could literally save millions of gasoline a year,
3. just with a 55 mph nationalspeed limit that ONLY CLIMATE BELIEVERS OBEY, based on some ⅔ of Americans claiming to be that.
Read 9 tweets
May 12
I know it's not worth writing this, but I'm going to anyway.
This (screenshot) came off a pissing contest thread.
Many people strongly believe that we can't do anything about the climate because we are so many.
Actually we can't do anything about it because we don't want to. Image
2. Here's a chart on global energy use from a very few years ago. The general ratios haven't changed, just all the numbers have gotten bigger.
All that matters for this discussion is the sizes of the demands relative to one another.
Over half is industrial use. Image
3. So Prof Bill's question was, you tell me how to reduce emissions by 50% in 66 months?
If we reduce industrial output by half, and reduce transportation speed by half, those two things alone would get us real close.
Absolutely all, without exception all, current "climate action
Read 21 tweets
May 9
I despair when I read crap like this.
I despair when I see what climate professionals in the aggregate say. "The stakes could not be higher" is absolutely true. It's where the truth ends.
Their recommendations are pure, unadulterated bullshit. theguardian.com/environment/ar…
2. They quote this woman. Christiana Figueres, UN climate chief.
She presents herself in this article as either a liar or a fool. Image
3. As follows:
Two immediate lies.
"...on the edge of positive societal tipping points away from fossil fuels."
The world has never burned more fossil fuels than the world is burning today.
The only tipping point we're approaching is the one where there's no food or water for us Image
Read 17 tweets
May 6
I'm going to try to explain myself to newer readers. I know my ideas are so far out there that I sound crazy.
I'm old, city born and raised, country since age 37. Couple months shy of 40 years out here.
But I earned my living with technology. All of my living.
2. I designed, installed, maintained electronic, and later digital, communication systems, starting in a telephone central office, where all the calls get placed, working on that machine.
It was a fabulous machine, all relays, older than me (I was 21) and did the same stuff
3. as computers do now.
In many of the same ways, except visible to the naked eye.
Relays are digital. They're either on or off. Current either flows or not flows. Same decision trees as machine language. Fabulous machine to work on.
Started back in the 60's. Been a helluva ride.
Read 29 tweets
May 4
When I write threads about ecosystem collapse, about global heating, global excess energy accumulation, my (obviously carefully vetted) mostly assume that It Is Over and collapse is inevitable.
Talk about any other topic, and everyone unconsciously assumes all we have now goes on
2. Just as an example, people say it's appropriate to ignore the climate during this election because if this election goes wrong, it's the last one, and we must Save Democracy.
If I'm right - if the ecosystem emergency is upon us - the current organization of the United States
3. is not going to have the physical and technological infrastructure required to run a modern federal government.
There won't be any jets for Israelis to bomb Palestinians with.
There won't be a global supply chain.
At all.
Anything anyone must have to live, if it's at the
Read 11 tweets
Apr 28
We - my brethren / sistren and myself - often speak of #collapse as though it were a foregone conclusion, and I guess to us it is.
But none of us can see the future, and exactly what form this collapse might take we have no way of knowing.
2. I have said, more than once, that possible routes to final irreparable collapse of high energy services, which will be one final step of our current ongoing collapse, include pandemic, international war, local high intensity guerilla war (we already have it at low intensity),
3. at least as likely and probably more likely points of failure than actually running out of oil, even of accessible oil.
I think in the long run we'll leave a lot in the ground.
I don't think the ecosystem will support us long enough for us to burn it all.
And she votes last.
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(