Michael Harriot Profile picture
Jan 13, 2022 14 tweets 7 min read Read on X
First of all, he’s right Houston ISD has a higher dropout rate than Cypress Fairbanks ISD. It’s true when you compare any poor school district with a school district with a bunch of richer people. It’s not because of race, it’s because of poverty.
CyFair ain’t even that white, it’s just a lot wealthier. But when you look at the median income of people who live in the school district, they make WAAY more than people who live in Houston ISD. Even the Black people there make $20k on average more than the average Black Texan
Now compare Houston ISD, where white people are the ONLY group above the median income for Texas. Now, this doesn’t exactly prove that economics affect education, we’ll get to that, because there’s something else you should know:

Houston ISD ain’t doing that bad.
You might wonder why a racist on the school board would choose dropout rates as a metric. The number of dropouts are really the ONLY metric that’s related to economic. Why didn’t he choose college readiness, reading or math?

Oh wait… here’s why:
That’s right, The school with all those negro teachers OUTPERFORMS the school with the white teachers. But wait…

Again, CyFair isn’t very white…just rich.

The schools are only 23% white but 60+% of the teachers are white— whiter than the state avg. How’d they do that?
Not only do Houston ISD’s teachers a better teachers reflect the student body,But those nonwhite teachers are also kicking CYFair’s ass. Now you might think “kicking ass” is hyperbole. After all, CyFair has a lot of smart AP & IB students who pass the tests compared to HoustonISD
But here is where they make it look like the white schools are doing better. At CyFair, only 21% of students even participate in the advanced level curriculum vs Houston , where black kids take the AP/IB exam at higher rates than the white kids statewide.
CYFair’s pass rate is higher because they restrict who can take the test. This happens at a lot of schools who want to manipulate the system. They block black kids from taking advanced courses, which makes it look like white kids are smarter. edtrust.org/press-release/…
And here’s another thing about Houston’s Black and Hispanic teachers… They’re paid less than CYFair’s teachers. A 2nd year teacher in CyFair makes the same salary as a 15-year veteran in Houston

But that’s not the worst part:
The Houston teachers DO MORE WORK!

Their average class size is higher which means they grade more papers, look after more students and deal with more parents.

The Black teachers teach MORE kids for less money in a poorer district & get better results than the rich, white dist.
But here is the absolute bonkers part of this story, look at the poverty. Look at the risk factors. The Black students are literally outperforming the white school’s reading scores WITH STUDENTS WHO DON’T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH !
AND the racist guy who is making this comment about Black teachers knows this. You can’t find the dropout rate for a school unless you find the college readiness scores & other data. He INTENTIONALLY cherry-picked the racist part. You wanna know why?
He knows the truth. But he also knows that all the people at that meeting are gonna take what he says as fact. To them, he just PROVED why those black teachers ain’t shit. Dropout rates—literally the ONE THING a fucking teacher can’t control—a student who isn’t there.
Now I could easily say that white peoples are too dumb to understand facts and science, which is how they get snookered into believing in 3-letter boogeymen like CRT or BLM. But that wouldn’t be fair…

Maybe they just had a lot of white teachers

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Michael Harriot

Michael Harriot Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @michaelharriot

May 15
After the French Revolution, people who supported the old monarchy, feudalism and a heirarchal sat on the right side of presiding officer of French Parliament and the liberal, non-aristocrats and members of the third estate usually sat on the left.
During the 1900s Karl Marx’s ideas began to spread across Europe. In France, the people who supported monarchies (the right wing) were the most vocal opponents of communism, so they referred to Marxists as the “far left.”

But one guy changed that
Read 15 tweets
May 7
This is not true. It has never been true. It is based partly on a misunderstanding FBI data and partly based on a widely perpetuated lie.

A thread.
First of all, let’s get this out of the way, NO ONE deserves hate. It is wrong

Yet, year in and year out, there are more anti-Black hate crimes than any other category.
And according to the latest FBI data there, are nearly 3 times more anti-black crimes than anti-Jewish crimes. Image
But of course, there are SIX TIMES more Black American than Jewish Americans, so people just divide the number of hate crimes by the percentage of the population and Jewish Americans are more likely to experience hate crimes…

Well, everyone except the FBI.
Read 18 tweets
Apr 26
A few years ago, while working for one of the greatest sports franchises of all time, I learned a very important life lesson.

A thread
Every summer, my hometown's recreation department hosted a "stop the violence" summer league to keep kids "off the street."

It eventually became so competitive that teams would recruit out-of-town ringers, leaving local basketball players shut out of their hometown's tournament
My homeboys asked me to sponsor a team and I agreed. Unlike the other teams, no one on my team played college ball. They were essentially regular dudes from the hood who just loved basketball.

And yes, they were very "hood"
Read 24 tweets
Apr 19
Many people don’t know that the phrase “crabs in a barrel” comes from an old Geechie Gullah tale.

A thread:
A long time ago, it was impossible to catch crabs. They were too crafty. Even when they got caught in a net, other crabs would come and free them. Then, one day, a fisherman found a crafty old crab in his net one morning. He was just about to eat it when the the crafty old crab said:

“Please Mr. Fisherman, don’t eat me. Please don’t eat me!”
“Why wouldn’t I eat you?” said the fisherman

“Because I’m crafty, old, & other crabs respect me,” the crab replied.

Fisherman: What good does respect do me? You ain’t nothing but a crab”

Crafty Crab: Well crabs are very stupid, and I’m smart. They’ll believe anything I tell them
Read 11 tweets
Apr 18
7 years ago, I wrote a small piece about a man who was falsely accused of a crime.

A few days later, I got an anonymous telling me to look up the woman they called “the evilest white woman on earth.”

What happened next is the absolute wildest story you’ll ever hear

A thread
The story begins in 2017, when an editor asked me to fill in for a coworker and do a quick write-up about Lamonte McIntyre, who spent 23 yrs in prison for a double murder he didn’t commit.

I thought it was weird his conviction wasn’t actually overturned

theroot.com/lamonte-mcinty…
I got an anonymous tip telling me that I should look into it more. But I was filling in, remember. At the time, it wasn’t really my beat.

A few months later I just HAPPENED to be covering an unrelated story about cops who sexually assault women

theroot.com/kansas-finally…
Read 22 tweets
Apr 16
Good question.

A BETTER question is why is Youngkin so determined to give Klan-affiliated white women welfare by stealing money from Black kids?

A thread.
Contrary what people who don't read things say, the Virginia legislature is not "targeting" the Klan-affiliated, pro-Confederate hate group that is responsible for the "lost cause" by taking the tax-exempt status from the KKK's little sister.
See, in 1950, Virginia GAVE the UDOC a plot of land to build their HQ in Robert E Lee Park with 3 stipulations

1. They had to finish building in 5 years
2. If they didn't, the land reverted back to the state
3. If they finished, the state would GIVE them an additional $10K
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(