QC Profile picture
Jan 22, 2022 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
once you've got custom twitter searches set up you'll also want to learn a few of twitter's search operators. these are weirdly poorly documented (the documentation i found has ones i don't think work anymore) but here are the ones i personally use to search tweets faster
1. from:username searches tweets from a user, that's how the custom searches for my own tweets and visa's tweets above work. to:username searches tweets to that user. you can combine them to look for a specific interaction if you remember who was involved. example:
2. min_faves:N restricts searches to tweets with at least N likes. at least that's the theory; in practice it doesn't seem to be exactly N, idk what's going on with that. use this to find popular tweets or at least filter out unpopular ones. example:
i use min_faves both to search a specific person's tweets (either i'm looking for a specific popular tweet or i just wanna see their popular tweets) and to search twitter globally for the most popular tweets about some meme or w/e. like this:
3. since:YYYY-MM-DD searches for tweets timestamped on that date or after, until:YYYY-MM-DD searches for tweets timestamped on that date or before. combining both lets you search a date range. example:
and that's it those are all the search modifiers i actually use. if i find more i'll add them here
4. ah i forgot about this one - this one is deprecated for me by the custom search i use but "filter:follows" searches from your follows

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with QC

QC Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @QiaochuYuan

Feb 14
thread of notes on scattered minds by gabor mate
> ADD has much to do with pain, present in every one of the adults and children who have come to me for assessment

> "Every aspect of my life hurts," a thirty-seven-year-old man told me during his second visit to my office Image
> These men and women... have never been able to maintain any sort of a long-term job or profession. They cannot easily enter meaningful, committed relationships, let alone stay in one. Their moods fly back and forth from lethargy and dejection to agitation. Image
Read 20 tweets
Feb 14
ADHD megathread
1. @visakanv constructive ADHD draft notes (Contains Actionable Advice)

2. @hormeze notes on gabor mate's scattered minds

Read 10 tweets
Feb 4
on the question of whether human-level AI is possible even in principle, people seem to reflexively believe “obviously yes” or “obviously no,” and i’ve never seen anyone publicly change their mind in either direction. and the split is like 80% predictable by STEM background
being a rationalist in the yudkowskian sense selected heavily, among other things, for people who believe that human-level AI is obviously possible. to me at age 22 it boiled down to “humans are just very complicated machines built out of molecules by evolution”
and similarly “human brains are just very complicated computers built out of molecules by evolution”

and the thing is that despite having loosened the iron grip scientific materialism had on me growing up, i still believe all this and have not seen compelling arguments against
Read 11 tweets
Dec 26, 2023
short reviews of / commentary on movies i watched on netflix because netflix told me they were leaving soon, or some other place, or for some other reason:
1. the road to el dorado (2000): aged weirdly. it's impossible to ignore the colonialism now and chel now stands out as bizarrely horny for a kids' movie. nobody's allowed to be that horny anymore. some cool animation but deeply mediocre music. watch prince of egypt instead
2. kung fu panda (2008): fat jokes aside, the real story is about shifu getting his heart broken by tai lung, being hardhearted with the five, and getting his heart re-opened by po, and that's a surprisingly strong emotional core that still holds up
Read 15 tweets
Nov 21, 2023
at the first bio-emotive retreat i was paired up to facilitate bio-emotive for this woman. we started with

"there's this friend who owes me money and i haven't been on her case about it"

got to

"why do i always let people walk all over me"

then: raped when she was 14
the point of this story is not about me but i'll mention that i noticed something funny about her while we were talking at the beginning of the session: anytime she answered a question, regardless of her answer, she shook her head like she was saying "no"
this seemed significant to me so on an impulse i asked her to try repeating the word "no" over and over again

she said "no" maybe a hundred times, gradually getting louder and louder and more and more agonized each time until at the end she was fully screaming
Read 165 tweets
Mar 14, 2023
ah. i've been relating to grad school as "that time i failed to write a thesis" but it would be more accurate to say that my mathoverflow / stackexchange answers + my math blog posts *are* my thesis. none of that was a waste of time. people still regularly thank me for it
if i had written a traditional thesis on the topic my advisor wanted me to it would have been comprehensible to ~10 people in the world. meanwhile the actual writing i did instead was read by... hundreds of thousands of people? (numbers in the images are prob overestimates)
iirc at least two people decided to go to grad school in math because of things i've written online. somehow i didn't have a way to incorporate the value of my own mathematical work into my self-concept or my life story b/c i was too distracted by failing to write a thesis
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(