Robert Gilbey Profile picture
Jan 22, 2022 11 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Time for another thread.

A live fire Russian naval exercise has been scheduled inside the Irish EEZ, at a time when tensions on Russian military build ups relative to Ukraine are high.

What do we know and what can we speculate on?
Now, disclaimer, I am in no way a naval or ASW authority and will bow to the experience of others.

First question.

Why that location?

Let's explore the terrain. The Porcupine Seabright.

A deep, enclosed area, with only a western access point. Ideal for protecting a submarine?
It certainly helps if that western access point has an armed naval blocking force protecting it.

The red box is where the Russians will be firing into.
What's interesting is that this exercise box is 170 nautical miles off the south coast of Ireland.

Incidentally, so was a suspicious Russian trawler suspected of deploying submersibles back in July 2021 170nm away.

Could that previous event have been sub-surface reconnaissance?
Others may recall that the Russians flew their ASW TU-142 Bears over that location in March 2020 too.

Perhaps that was a sub surface signal mapping exercise? Testing 🇮🇪 reactions, or lack there of?

There's a lot to suggest battlespace preparation here.

Also worth noting there's a fair few subsea cables in that area too.

So perhaps there is a risk to data communications?
@Andy_Scollick makes an interesting point here.

If the Kalibr-M is in play, that changes the strategic and tactical dynamic for EU and Nato countries.

Assuming the max range of the Kalibr-M is 4500km, and can travel at a speed of Mach 2.5 (3087kmh), then the images below give an indication of what is in range of that capability and how long it would take to get to capital target from the Exercise Area inside Ireland's EEZ
We don't know what is going to happen.

We don't know what the Russians are doing.

We can't see what's happening in Irish skies.

We can't see what's happening under the surface of the water.

We have no way of preventing something bad happening.

What's your plan @simoncoveney?
On this, there is adequate reason to disregard my previous assumptions in this tweet.

@GrangerE04117 offers good analysis here.

Nonetheless, it may be worth looking at the known missile capabilities that have proven compatibility with existing platforms

Adding a correction and new assumptions here.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Robert Gilbey

Robert Gilbey Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RobGilbey

Dec 30, 2023
#IrishDefenceThoughts

THREAD

As we enter another period of reform for the Irish Defence Forces, what can we learn from China's perspective of "Unrestricted Warfare" by Col Qiao Liang and Col Wang Xiangsui?

(Beijing: PLA Literature and Arts Publishing House, February 1999) Image
One theory of interest from the book is : Image
Firstly, I consistently reminded myself throughout this book that it was written in 1999 as China grappled with the acceptance of US supremacy in the sphere of military technology and affairs. Image
Read 19 tweets
Dec 11, 2023
#IrishDefenceThoughts for the day...

To revitalise the Reserve Defence Force (RDF), focus on fulfilment. Image
Currently, the @dfreserve Office of Reserve Affairs (ORA) are running workshops with Reservists regarding the future of the Reserve. A positive development and proactive approach. Regrettably, I missed the opportunity to participate, but it did get me thinking. 🤔
Lately, as I consider my own future in the RDF, I reflect on why I joined & why I stayed. I also think about all the potential applicants I meet, & why they make the choice to volunteer to join the RDF.

Generally, I feel that people join because they're missing something.
Read 17 tweets
Oct 15, 2023
A few thoughts on the #leadership vacuum in #IrishDefence.

Committing to building primary radar probably seems like a politically correct thing to do.

I'm sure it felt safe to announce it.

Big capital project.

Not lethal.

Doesn't impact retention.

newstalk.com/news/radar-pur…
But then comes the problems.

Firstly, strategically, delivering a radar system will suddenly expose the Minister to appearing weaker than ever before.

Why?

Because now that we can see the threat, not being able to deal with it highlights the inadequacy of the Minister's power.
There will be scope creep.

Radar is only part of a system, not a system in itself.

Announcing a radar is one thing, but if you deliver it without a fast air intercept or surface-to-air missile capability, it is going to prove pretty useless.

The Children's Hospital of Defence?
Read 16 tweets
Jun 22, 2023
Reflecting on today's Consultative Forum on International Security Policy.

It was an interesting day, but don't believe the hype.

For starters, the only people putting Irish membership of NATO on the agenda were the protestors.
The protests were a venting exercise, but for me, it was all hot air & lacked substance.

Example: One guy was shouting at @MichealMartinTD that Ed Horgan from PANA was banned from the event, & that was a disgrace

Ed Horgan was sat in the front row & also rattled off a statement
PANA, in fact, had multiple actors in the audience, each having a go at reading pro-neutrality, anti-NATO statements.

The idea that their voice was suppressed is not grounded in truth. They were given ample space to engage in the dialogue.
Read 9 tweets
Aug 7, 2022
"It wasn’t that long ago that our neighbour was oppressing us. Now it’s our protector, because we took our eye off the ball and effectively surrendered our neutrality by penny-pinching on our own defence."

irishexaminer.com/opinion/commen…
"A series of deals with the British and EU to protect our seaboard means we are no longer truly neutral, but we can't fight for ourselves either"
"The strict definition of neutrality is contained in the terms of the 1907 Hague Convention. It says that, to call yourself neutral, you are obliged to be able to defend that neutrality."
Read 4 tweets
Jan 12, 2022
Cutting a cable may not constitute an act of war, but that doesn't mean the cable isn't a military target.

What are the implications of subsea fibers being considered military targets?

What @naval_service capabilities should we have to protect this critical data infrastructure?
Firstly, severing a subsea fiber isnt as simple as it sounds. Breaking a cable is one thing, severing it, is quite another.

Fiber optics are lightweight glass products, but propagating light across oceans requires power, so the cable is more a power cable as it is a fiber cable.
What's worth noting is that as the technology evolves, the form factor of subsea cables start to change.

More fiber cores are being pumped into small cables, means longer cables can be spooled onto cable laying ships.

But that presents a challenge

There is no one size fits all
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(