Tom Shugart Profile picture
Jan 31, 2022 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
In case you're wondering why China's expanding its navy at such scale, here's the answer—straight of the recent translation of their 2020 Science of Military Strategy. Hint: it's not about taking Taiwan, facing down regional neighbors, etc.

Global interests, global naval power.
Would you like to know more?
"...a China that can maintain the security of its own SLOCs is a China that can deny those SLOCs to others. This prospect...is what truly drives the unprecedented scale of Chinese maritime expansion." lowyinstitute.org/publications/a…
While the translations are rough, this looks like their taking note of Air-Sea Battle, Distributed Lethality, etc.

And they clearly aren't cool with continued U.S. naval primacy, or even the idea of the "so-called" global commons outside of territorial seas.
I see that the PLA has recognized, as we have, that carrier-based UAVs will have strong attack capabilities.

Hang on a sec: I'm being told that we have not, in fact, recognized that.
If you were wondering whether Djibouti would remain the PLA's only overseas military facility...surprise, surprise, it won't:
BTW, in case you were worried about China's intermixing of conventional and nuclear-capable missiles, don't expect that to change anytime soon—they appear to very much consider that to be a feature, not a bug:
As for conventional PLARF ICBMs - perhaps not such a wild idea after all...

Interesting that they seem convinced that the U.S. is deploying conventional ICBMs, when that is actually not a part of any program of record, much less a transformation that is underway.
One more thing: in the section about future naval construction, what's interests me is what's NOT talked about. The center of force structure development is presented forthrightly: aircraft carrier formations and nuclear submarines, plus ISR, AEW, long-range strike, info ops.
Another focus area: development of longer-range forces, including large transport ships and large integrated landing ships, for a "long-sea" strategic projection force.

So...what about short-range landing ships for, you know, "national reunification"? (i.e., Taiwan) No mention.
DoD's assessment has been and continues to be that the PLA lacks the sealift for an all-out amphibious invasion, and doesn't appear to be doing much about it. This document doesn't seem to show any plans to change that, with the PLA moving on to power projection further afield.
So what's the deal? Does the PRC not really intend to be able to invade Taiwan by sea? Will it build lots of helicopters instead and focus more on aerial assault? Is it waiting to build up the PLAN's amphibious fleet later? If so, seems like we'd see that coming from a long way.
Maybe they're planning to build a missile force so threatening that they get the Taiwanese to "come out with their hands up", or to wreck Taiwanese, US & allied forces so thoroughly in the opening salvo that they can effectively invade unopposed. cnas.org/publications/r…
Or perhaps their amphibious assault fleet has been hiding in plain sight & just isn't painted gray? Or maybe some combination thereof?

Any way you cut it, this apparent ongoing capability gap draws my eye, and makes me wonder what they have in mind. warontherocks.com/2021/08/mind-t…
I forgot to mention - if you want to read the (translated) words for yourself, check it out here at CASI’s web site: airuniversity.af.edu/CASI/Display/A…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tom Shugart

Tom Shugart Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @tshugart3

Aug 22
What if I told you that as I type this there was a vessel, associated with the Chinese PLA, that *could* be equipped with many dozens of anti-ship cruise missiles—and was parked less than 4 miles from the bulk of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

Well guess what: it's happening—for real. Image
The vessel in question is a container ship named COSCO Shipping Sakura. It's a massive ship, more than 360m long (~1200 ft), and weighing far more than a U.S. aircraft carrier. Built in 2018, It can carry more than 14000 shipping containers. Image
The shipyard that built it, Jiangnan Shipyard, in addition to building ships for COSCO (and western, even TAIWANESE companies!) also builds warships for the PLA Navy, including its first full-size aircraft carrier. features.csis.org/china-shadow-w…
Read 25 tweets
Aug 10
This USNI Proceedings article advocates a "trade denial" strategy - though not a blockade - as a "low-cost option" for deterring PRC military aggression against Taiwan.

While I like the idea of finding new ways to deter China, I have some issues with this article, as follows:
My overarching concern is this: for years there's been a strain of thinking that China will never attack because the U.S. & allies could "just cut off their oil" or the like. That kind of thinking undercuts support for the necessary resources to actually deter the PRC militarily.
THIS article doesn't advocate an actual blockade, considering it infeasible in part because of the internationalized nature of modern shipping. Here I agree with the author, retired RADM Khanna, Indian Navy: this factor undercuts the idea of a "blockade" that others advocate. Image
Read 25 tweets
Jul 28
Imagery update: looking back at some commercial imagery at Wuchang Shipyard (one of China's conventional submarine builders), if I'm not mistaken I believe there may be a new class of Chinese submarine out there.
I recently acquired this interesting image of the shipyard from 26 April 2024.

On the left, you can see what appears to be a freshly-launched Hangor II-class submarine, the 1st of 8 being built for Pakistan.

You can also see the other, possibly new class of boat. Image
The ID of the Hangor-II is based on separate reporting of its launch in late Apr, matching nicely with what we see.

Comparing the Hangor with images of earlier 039A class boats—and the new boat—the difference is plain to see.

The new boat appears substantially longer, and... Image
Read 8 tweets
Jul 25
Got some fresh @planet imagery of China's new base at Ream, Cambodia. Looks like they continue to be busy bees, constructing what looks to be a sizable naval base.

First, here's an overall comparo of where things are now-ish (6/2020) to before construction started (3/2020).
They've now completed enough of the drydock & wharf that we can now see their final dimensions: right at 140m from the back of the drydock to where the caisson would go, & a 270m wharf.

Also, there's what looks like a ramp to pull smaller vessels out for maintenance. Image
You can see pretty clearly that the ramp extends into the water. A facility like this would be useful for working on smaller vessels like Cambodia's patrol boats and other harbor craft, and faster than using a drydock. Image
Read 9 tweets
May 20
Last week saw the publication in @ForeignAffairs of this article by Zhou Bo, a Senior Fellow at a Tsinghua University think tank and a retired Senior Colonel in the Chinese PLA.

A few thoughts on the article and its publication by FA: foreignaffairs.com/united-states/…
The gist is that mostly due to US pushback at the rise of the PRC, the US-PRC relationship has deteriorated. But the two nations should talk more & work together where they can.

IMO the article has many misleading statements and half-truths, and serves as propaganda.
Zhou starts by stating the Chinese government experienced "surprise" at U.S. competition and is determined to "fight back", as if China was only reacting to an unprovoked American reaction to a peacefully-rising China. Image
Read 27 tweets
May 16
Anyone know what this NOTAM off of Baja California is about?
Is the Russian Federation firing rockets to impact off the west coast of N America? If so, what rockets? Image
Ok, did a bit more looking into this this morning - bottom line, I think it's an impact area for a humdrum Russian space launch.

There's another NOTAM impact area at the same times in the Barents for Russian space launch activities. Image
If you connect the dots from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome, to the Barents impact area, to the East Pacific impact area, they're all almost in a straight line.
So I imagine this is for a launch from there, with the stage booster drop into the Barents, and the 2nd into EastPac. Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(