Karen Vaites Profile picture
Feb 5, 2022 10 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Our brains ARE wired to pick up spoken language naturally. Humans have been speaking for 50,000+ yrs.

But we've only been writing for 5,000 yrs!

Written language is manmade... and needs to be taught.

@carolyn_strom unpacks the brain science at #LiteracyMatters conference. Image
Parts of our brain are naturally wired to understand sounds and words.

But, no part of the brain comes wired at birth to understand letters / words.

With years of reading instruction, we train our brains to recognize words, as @carolyn_strom explains. Image
.@carolyn_strom has been working on ways to explain the neuroscience of reading to families, without all of the scientific jargon, using a storytelling framework.

She has given more accessible names to the parts of brain doing the work of learning language & literacy.
Sound City is the part of the brain where sounds are stored.

Mountains of Meaning is where words and their meaning are stored.

I tried taking a video of @carolyn_strom’s intro to her framework, and oops, it was the time-lapse photo above. 😂

I did get video partway in…
I love hearing @carolyn_strom explain the neuroscience of reading.

I think it’s so accessible to families… and teachers!

#LiteracyMatters
When we teach kids to read, we teach them to break words down to the finest sounds (segmenting), and then we need to train the part of the brain that is wired to recognize faces and objects to ALSO recognize letters.

Then we connect the two.

@carolyn_strom continues:
In the years that kids learn to read, they build new neural pathways to connect these different parts of the brain.

The ability to recognize words with increasing automaticity, and to break down new worlds with ease, grows stronger with practice. Image
What does it look like when children are building these skills?

@carolyn_strom gives us a glimpse of those early years, and talks about the connection between the brain science and what we see with emerging readers.

#LiteracyMatters
Learning to read is like learning to play the piano, ride a bike, or swim.

We don’t learn to play piano by watching someone play or listening to music. We must be taught.

But, we build those reading skills upon the brain’s understanding of the spoken language. @carolyn_strom
Editing myself:

This sentence should have said:

“no part of the brain comes wired at birth to understand letters / written words” Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Karen Vaites

Karen Vaites Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @karenvaites

Apr 8
A key reminder in the Science of Learning conversation:

You can always find weak studies to support adult preferences about how kids should learn.

Here’s a good example. This was recently tweeted by a prominent teacher, in defense of choice reading (letting kids pick the books they read).

files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ116…Image
If you read the study, you realize:

The authors are fully bought into the theory, common in education, that enjoyment of a task improves your outcome with the task.

Just because it does. Image
.@C_Hendrick talked about this common misperception in his brilliant keynote at @researchED_US.

This was the segment:
Read 9 tweets
Apr 7
.@C_Hendrick’s keynote at @researchED_US was astoundingly good.

I caught most of it on video…

Sorry that it’s in Tweetable chunks, but I promise that it’s worth the headache of pressing Play a few times.

What is learning, Carl asks?
The problem is that learning is highly counterintuitive.

How we think we learn, and how we actually learn, are more often than not very far apart.

@C_Hendrick
@C_Hendrick As he outlines the six paradoxes of learning, @C_Hendrick speaks personally about #2, the difference between working memory and long-term memory.

“I had no idea about this for the first 5 years of my teaching.”
Read 16 tweets
Apr 6
Are these educational beliefs familiar to you?

They were once familiar to, and believed by, @MrZachG.

“I’m not a contrarian. I believed what I was told” in teacher preparation.

At @researchED_US: Image
His learning journey brought him to more effective practices.

@MrZachG details Project Follow Through, a massive US study of instructional approaches that showed the relative effectiveness of explicit instruction vs more popular approaches. Image
@MrZachG In his podcast, @MrZachG goes into detail on Project Follow Through with some of the original participants, including Linda Carnine:

It’s a fascinating listen! podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pro…
Read 4 tweets
Jan 13
Remarkably busy week on the state curriculum adoption front. A mixed bag of news, illustrating fragmented landscape.

Here’s a roundup thread.

The good:

MN short lists truly high-quality curriculum options. No weak basal programs on the list.

👍
The bad:

A mostly-grim list of options out of South Carolina.

Core Knowledge Language Arts is the only high-quality option on a list dominated by mediocre basal series.
“I’ll take Lunch On Site, please” has been the best running joke about South Carolina’s options.

😂😂
Read 8 tweets
Aug 18, 2023
It’s the seventh school day in Sumner County, Tennessee.

Fourth graders are already writing “well-developed” essays about their interpretation of multiple nonfiction texts.

The kind of teaching that produces this work = what every child deserves.

@scottlangford72
Also, this is a curriculum story. Sumner Cty uses one of the six high-quality curricula designed for this type of work.

@jenni_copeland didn’t invent this lesson, it was part of her curriculum. She is clearly crushing it. 🙌

If this isn’t happening in your school…

Why not?
@jenni_copeland Hope you are following @jenni_copeland… her work knocks my socks off every year.

And this didn’t just happen, y’all… Jenni and her curriculum have been building to this, intentionally.

Earlier:
Read 7 tweets
Jul 16, 2023
This article is pay walled, so people are mostly reacting to a tweet about it, I sense.

They might react more strongly if they were reading the contents.

Screenshots in tweets that follow.

bostonglobe.com/2023/07/14/met…
Read Superintendent Greer’s quote in all of this context.

Families with the option of leaving are bailing to give their kids access to accelerated math previously offered in Cambridge.

Yet she believes she’s producing greater equity with the watered-down approach.

🤯

Oops we blew away algebra during COVID!

🤯

Does anyone understand this chart? @huffakingit

Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(