Trinh Profile picture
Feb 7, 2022 10 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Good morning! Hope you have a great Lunar New Year and happy Tet! I did even if it was uneventful. First year as a mom and giving out lots of li xi. Now, back to our regular programming of daily reminder of brent 92.8/barrel and markets completely priced out negative rates in EUR
Let me put this another way, Brent crude is +19.35% so far this year and other commodities like palm oil is up too.

I hope u listened when I said you should fear inflation more than Omicron. The Scandinavians have decided that pandemic is over.

Anyway, let's stay w/ inflation.
Let's look at global rates - what do you see? Or shall I say it differently, what don't you see?

NEGATIVE EUROPEAN RATES, esp BUND.

Ok, why? Inflation! I told you, central banks DO NOT PROMISE YOU A ROSE GARDEN. Christine changed her tune when CPI hit 5.1%.

So did JPO at 7%
Let's stick with inflation again. We have US CPI out at 930pm HKT on 10 Feb and markets expect US inflation, wait for it, to INCREASE, to 7.3%YoY and core to rise to 5.9%, yes, that excludes oil and food. So everything higher!

What will Jerome Powell do?
Markets, by that I mean the bond market, are fretting this CPI release. Why? It's pricing in 50bps hike for March and for 2022 141bps.

That's a lot. A lot of hikes. If we stick w/ our topic du jour, which is inflation, then what do u it will do if COMMODITY PRICES ARE UP.
Should u fear inflation or Omicron? If you listen to me, then you should focus on the former not the latter. I went on every outlet that I could to beat the drum that Southeast Asia isn't going to lockdown & persist w/ endemic.

Commodity prices UP ytd! Should u fear inflation?
People spent a lot of effort on how high natural gas, oil etc are. But let's not forget that OTHER COMMODITIES, whether agriculture or metals, are UP!

Look at palm oil. It's up and good for Malaysia as Indonesia limits exports but BAD FOR THE WORLD & by that I mean consumers.
Palm oil is used in everything that it's up! Do you think Unilever isn't going to raise prices?

You bet it will. If everyone raises prices, then prices get raised further as when wages go up, well, well well.

Stops being transitory and starts being pretty real.

JPO gets it.
While commodity prices are on the rise, China PMIs just show that the economy is slowing down in Q1 2022 with the composite for both state and Caixin PMIs weakening.

Monetary policy divergence between the Fed and China or rest of the world vs China where zero-Covid remains.
Why China is sticking to zero-Covid even if it weakens its growth, as in consumption?

“Zero-Covid success makes the hurdle to reverse course for China higher,” @Trinhnomics adds @NatixisResearch @natixis

ft.com/content/0e6914…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Trinh

Trinh Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Trinhnomics

Jul 24
India unveiled its FY25 budget yesterday (btw, they have another one in 6 months) & it was very much a fiscal consolidation, jobs, and responding to people's beef about the woeful labor market (Modi lost seats in Uttar Pradesh).

Before I talk about the Budget, let's talk about India labor supply & demand. Ready?Image
As you know, India is the most populous country in the world today & will be even more so in the future.

Let me put it a different way, by 2040, one out of 5 people will be Indian.

So what happens to India matters because it's a fifth of the world population by 2040. Image
India will have more people than China or the same as China and the US combined.

Yes, a lot of people. That's beautiful (generally referred as demographic dividend assuming that we have jobs for them) and highly problematic for India (high joblessness and civil unrest), Indian politics and also how to manage this massive supply of people (skilling them, finding jobs for them etc).Image
Read 31 tweets
Jun 18
As a follow up to that podcast, Bloomberg had a story that just came out that blew my mind. I knew it but they really dug deep.

This is a story about economics, resources, comparative advantage & the choices we make.

Nickel. What do you know about it?

bloomberg.com/features/2024-…Image
First, nickel is a material that has to be DUG out of the earth & process. Some easier (colder nickel in Russia) & some harder like wet & warm places like Indonesia where you have plenty of it but it's the processing that's difficult.

Here comes China.
The mining & processing of nickel are energy intensive. And more importantly, for Indonesian nickel, it was considered too low grade to do & China had breakthroughs in a technology called high-pressure acid leaching (HPAL). "Low-grade nickel ore is placed into pressure vessels, where it’s treated with sulfuric acid and heated. After that, the nickel that separates out will be suitable for batteries, once it’s refined"Image
Read 12 tweets
Jun 17
China new home sales fall further & while some may say that the real estate is now not so important for China, it remains a key driver of wealth effects & that is negative. Meaning, the data dump that we will get in 10 mins will likely show a further misaligned economy where consumption falters while supply rises.
This will add to further tensions with the West & even the South as China will need to export that excess supply, driven by policy to rise in the value chain, or to vertically integrate its supply chain, to the rest of the world.

Chinese corporates will increasingly have to do it via tariff arbitrage, as in third country export or building factories where they want to sell.
Some say it doesn't matter as Chinese firms gain market share.

Actually, it does matter. Employment matters. So unless they can get Chinese workers to manufacture goods in third country or in the country/region of export, over time, employment demand will fall in China for manufacturing.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 14
I just listened to this & took some notes. Allow me to share it in a thread. Worth for all interested in EV, Indonesia, Nickel, China etc.
Indonesia now has 55% of global nickel production & home to the world's largest reserves.

Why does this matter? First, what is nickel used for?
Nickel, before EV & the use of it for battery specifically, is used for stainless steel, which you use for everything from pans to etc.

Nickel pig iron (NPI) is a low grade ferronickel as a cheaper alternative to pure nickel.

Class 1 nickel is used in EV batteries & it's much purer.
Read 15 tweets
Jun 5
Good morning Asia!

Instead of a landslide, we got earthquakes, Modi & the BJP got the most seats but much less than they benchmarked (400) & less than 2019 (303) at 240. To govern, they need to work with fickle allies to operate a coalition government.

This will require a much more consensus driven governance.
That may be positive or negative depending who u are. Meaning, in the short-term, forming a government takes priority over long-standing reforms that are already politically difficult when they had the government. We may have more fiscal welfares & so if we continue with the same capex, fiscal deficit may widen. Or we may have less capex than before. Irrespective, this area will be watched carefully. Under Modi, grain & fertiliser subsidies remain large & was promised to be in place.

Note that India fiscal deficit has consolidated as of late but remains large. What has changed is the quality - higher tax rev ratios & more capex & less subsidies as share of GDP
Some say that a coalition won’t change as it is still Modi in change. But that is IF a coalition stays the course (he got some really fickle allies) & this that if adds to risk premium in the short-term.

Irrespective, India fiscal is in a rather decent shape so we have a solid foundation to work with here.
Read 5 tweets
May 13
This article in the FT doesn't make any sense. The author argues that Modi fails to create job for low-skilled people, esp labor-intensive manufacturing. It also faults Modi for its high-end growth (services, high-tech, infra, etc)

But then it ends with saying, well, don't bother to even develop manufacturing and just work on service exports.

Wait a minute. How is India going to generate jobs? ft.com/content/c4631d…
Btw, all the critiques of India makes sense. The issue I have with Rajan and also Congress is their solutions.

They don't have one. Literally. Rajan tells India to forget about trying to do manufacturing & focuses on services.

India exports a lot of services. Manufacturing is the weak spot, not services!!! And if u want a lot of jobs, u need labor-intensive manufacturing.
A country with such a large population needs to growth via all sectors - services, manufacturing, agriculture etc. You can't leapfrog development & go to services.

India & the Philippines have tried that. Not working & hence need to include manufacturing & infrastructure building.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(