@geraldroche.bsky.social Profile picture
Feb 14, 2022 9 tweets 12 min read Read on X
Global Language Advocacy Day is coming up in just over a week, on February 22nd. Here comes a thread with a sample of some the events that will be taking place. Pls visit our website and follow @GlobLangRights for more information #GLAD22

coalitionforlanguagerights.org
@GlobLangRights Keep an eye out for a blog post by @NaomiFillmore
@GlobLangRights @NaomiFillmore Charity Translators will be giving us a quick guide to language support.
@GlobLangRights @NaomiFillmore Our friends at @LinguaCulturaXP will be talking about language and cultural advocacy.
@GlobLangRights @NaomiFillmore @LinguaCulturaXP There will be an online panel discussion organized by @MyanmarICP about language rights in #Myanmar
@GlobLangRights @NaomiFillmore @LinguaCulturaXP @MyanmarICP This event on the digitization of Chakma (an Indigenous language of Bangladesh & India) will be hosted by @TranslationCom1
@GlobLangRights @NaomiFillmore @LinguaCulturaXP @MyanmarICP @TranslationCom1 Language Access Coalition of Canada [@LAD_Canada] will be joining the Our Language Rights Canada Conference 2022.
@GlobLangRights @NaomiFillmore @LinguaCulturaXP @MyanmarICP @TranslationCom1 @LAD_Canada @madokahammine @Premphyak @latrobeasia @becstrating If any of these events look interesting, please go to coalitionforlanguagerights.org and follow @GlobLangRights for details. See you on Feb 22nd for Global Language Advocacy Day #GLAD22

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with @geraldroche.bsky.social

@geraldroche.bsky.social Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GJosephRoche

May 5
Some of the Gaza commentary you're reading and sharing is created by people who are serial genocide deniers and atrocity minimizers. Don't support them. Here are two simple tests you can run to vet your sources, followed by examples. A 🧵
First, who are the people I'm talking about? They're known as pseudo-antimperialists. I'll call them pseuds for short. They look vaguely leftist but support authoritarian regimes in the name of anti-imperialism. You can spot them in two steps.
positionspolitics.org/gerald-roche-r…
Step one: the denial test.

On Twitter, search the person's feed for Xinjiang. Pseuds support authoritarian regimes like China because they only recognize one bad state: USA. So, pseuds deny & minimize atrocities in Xinjiang as US propaganda.
Read 45 tweets
Dec 9, 2023
It's @UN Intl' Day of Commemoration & Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide & Prevention of this Crime. Let's check in on the genocide research centres of the world to see how they're reacting to the genocide currently unfolding in Gaza 🧵
The Stanley Burton Centre for Holocaust & Genocide Studies (@UoLSBC) at University of Leicester (@uniofleicester) has nothing to say about Gaza. screen caps from a Twitter search showing no results for Gaza
@UoLSBC @uniofleicester The Center for Human Rights and Genocide Studies (@Center_HRGS) in Yerevan, Armenia, has nothing to say about genocide in Gaza. Twitter search showing no results for Gaza
Read 22 tweets
Jul 19, 2023
I'm currently getting ready to teach a new semester at La Trobe University. Every semester, I start with an acknowledgment of country & when I do that I also talk about the role played by the uni's namesake, Charles La Trobe, in colonization. Here's what I tell students 🧵
Charles La Trobe arrived in Melbourne in September 1839, and departed in May 1854. He held the position of both Superintendent of Port Philip District (1839 - 1850) and Lieutenant-Governor of Victoria (1851- 1854). Key achievements include:
1⃣ Charles La Trobe the chief government official of the region during a period of genocidal violence.
Read 30 tweets
Apr 25, 2023
Packing up books to move is like doing a stratigraphic mapping of my autistic hyperfixations. The bedrock is, for whatever reason, local mammals. Two books side by side: lef...
Feeling autistic, might delete later, but for now I’m going to show five extremely wonderful mammals of Papua New Guinea. I promise only five (5).
It’s an echymipera. Please just say the word, it’s so good for you. This animal looks sort of l...
Read 7 tweets
Oct 26, 2022
Publication day! My article ‘The Necropolitics of Language Oppression’ has just been published in Annual Review of Anthropology (thanks @AnnualReviews!). In this thread I’ll walk you through the main argument & the sections of the article. 1/11
doi.org/10.1146/annure…
@AnnualReviews The article explores how the coerced loss of language (language oppression) contributes to physical, bodily death. To put it another way, when the state forces some people to stop using certain languages, those people are slowly killed. 2/11 This article explores how l...
@AnnualReviews This is a problem of global significance. We are living through an era of mass destruction of linguistic diversity. This is also the mass destruction of bodies and lives. 3/11
Read 11 tweets
Sep 14, 2022
At the University of Perpinya, opening today’s proceedings and getting ready for the keynote by James Costa. Three people behind a desk, one sitting, with a PowerPoint p
The professor introducing James (I missed his name), said “Sociolinguistics is a combat sport.”
James Costa: language revitalization is always about finding freedom in the borderlands - between the state and the people (among others).
Read 23 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(