Michael Harriot Profile picture
Feb 17, 2022 13 tweets 4 min read Read on X
If you think Moses Dickson’s story is crazy, there is a lot I couldn’t include because it was tew much.

A thread:
For instance, around 1856, there seems to have been an increase in the number of uprisings by enslaved people. There are historians who wonder if this increase was just people reporting more uprising of if Dickson’s secret national network had a part in this.
Dickson was basically a traveling barber on a steamship which allowed him to see almost every part of the south & meet a bunch of board certified RNs (please don’t be in the comments explaining what that means). A Barbershop is basically every hood’s central intelligence agency
Then there’s the fact that Dickson was so proud of the fact that only three white men knew about the Knights and two were from England.

William Wilberforce, who ONE of the first HBCUs (trust me, you don’t wanna get in thr middle of that debate) is named after, sent him money.
And apparently, the Knights basically took over the funding & organization of the Underground Railroad for about a decade in parts of the country.

But they were really smuggling guns and people. Bruh was a whole international arms dealer
If you think that’s crazy to believe that British were arming slave revolts, some dudes named James Madison & Thomas Jefferson were OBSESSED with the idea.

So we’re slave owners
In 1812, we fought a whole war over it (I forget the name of that war). There’s a song about it. (Something about a banner and stars)

I’m convinced Dickson was successful for the same reason his story sounds so absurd:

They didn’t think Black people were smart enough to do it.
Another thing is, we rarely discuss the influence of Black fraternal organizations like the Prince Hall masons, Black fraternities and sororities.

The Knights of Tabor built a whole-ass hospital in one of the Blackest cities in America. They didn’t “help build it…” they did it.
Have you ever wondered why there are a lot of Black owned insurance agencies? Well the whole Black owned insurance business sprung, in part, out of mutual aid societies & fraternal orders, according to Booker T Washington.
One of the things that makes me laugh is when Dickson said his code name back in the day was “Blue Dick” and he repeatedly refers to the Knights as the “Child of Destiny”

I wonder if he knew Beyonce?
Another thing we don’t talk about is Black newspapers. If you want to know what Black people thought about anything in history, big or small, you can just read the Black newspaper of that time

Usually…

Every now & then, you’ll read:

“The __ Daily was destroyed by a white mob”
Bruh, it was a thing. White people used to get mad & attack inanimate objects!

On every HBCU there’s always a building that was “rebuilt after an 18xx fire.”

White mob.

Someone smarter than me need to do an analysis on how much Black history has been lost due to white mobs.
Anyway, when you search newspapers, you’ll find little mentions of the Knights of Tabor or the Knights of Twelve sprinkled throughout the country.

They really did some good things.

But their origin story goes back to one plan:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Michael Harriot

Michael Harriot Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @michaelharriot

Jul 2
If you're wondering how the "race-baiters" are going to make the SCOTUS ruling about racism, well...

Here's what the Trump decision has to do with the history of white supremacy, racial terrorism and even the death of George Floyd.

A thread.
It began with the passage of the 13th Amendment. If you don't go to school in Fla, you probably know about the birth of the KKK, White Leagues & other domestic terror cells responsible for racial violence during Reconstruction.

Well, it kinda didn't really happen that way.
The Klan was not really that popular until YEARS later. In fact, MOST of the racial terrorism during Reconstruction was committed by two groups:

1. Regular-degular, unaffilliated white people
2. Police officers.

Most pre-civil war cities & towns didn't have police forces
Read 25 tweets
Jun 17
Theyhe SC Dept. of Education canceled AP African American Studies, @thegrio spoke with teachers, school administrators & superintendents to find out why SC essentially canceled the ONLY accredited HS course in Black History.

THey all had the same answer.

A thread.
FIRST we must acknowledge that SC is central to ANY study of Black Americans.

Scholars estimate that 40% of America's race-based human trafficking cargo disembarked in the "slave capital of the new world." Image
SC's Negro Act of 1740 was the template for all state's slave codes, including literacy bans. And, because it was classified as PROPERTY LAW, the individual states would later decide that slave codes didn't violate constitutional rights.

calendar.eji.org/racial-injusti…
Read 22 tweets
Jun 5
There are a few problems with Byron Donald’s idiotic statement, notion of Black “conservatives,” and even how WE THINK of Jim Crow

A thread
Byron Donald’s statement isn’t that uncommon. Every Black person has heard a version of this, whether it is “integration was the worst thing that happened to us,” or what Donalds said.

Those people are dumb
First of all, I will always contend that “integration” never happened. To be fair, my opinion is based on a book many people may disagree with:

It’s called a dictionary.

When did any of this happen? Image
Read 21 tweets
Jun 2
The conversation about Caitlin Clark reminds me of one of my favorite stories about of basketball’s forgotten GOATs and a strange NBA stat

A thread.
Regardless of how you feel about WNBA player’s treatment of Caitlin Clark, it is INARGUABLE that she is expected to be a generational talent.

Whenever someone is expected to dominate their sport, teams & player often use a common strategy:

“What if we beat them up?”
For instance, Shaquille O’Neal was so dominant, the NBA had to change its rules to address the “Hack-a-Shaq”

nytimes.com/2016/05/01/spo…
Read 24 tweets
Jun 1
Hypocrites

A thread.
Hypocrite @BasedMikeLee Image
Read 10 tweets
May 15
After the French Revolution, people who supported the old monarchy, feudalism and a heirarchal sat on the right side of presiding officer of French Parliament and the liberal, non-aristocrats and members of the third estate usually sat on the left.
During the 1900s Karl Marx’s ideas began to spread across Europe. In France, the people who supported monarchies (the right wing) were the most vocal opponents of communism, so they referred to Marxists as the “far left.”

But one guy changed that
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(