Dimitri, Dr. Givaca Profile picture
Feb 22, 2022 26 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Some time to spare and good weather, this means I finally get to page through the print copy of @GregStolze's Million Dollar Soulmate, a game of romantic uncertainty.
Real-time comments follow.
#GivacaReviews

(1/X) Image
This is something I've been meaning to do for some time, as expressed by an earlier tweet (like, some weeks ago). Now is the time.
(2/X)
If you don't know this #ttrpg, "Million Dollar Soulmate is a game where two players tell the story of a love that might be good and true... or toxic and treacherous. Neither knows which until the very last scene!" (text from back cover)
gregstolze.itch.io/million-dollar…

(3/X)
I'm holding a 24-page zine, A5-ish (I'm bad at at page sizes), with art in color in both front and back cover. The backside of the cover links to a library of Actual Play recording over at Soundcloud.
soundcloud.com/greg-stolze/se…

(4/X)
Thumbing through the pages, layout is very clean, easy to read, side-notes are clearly presented by text boxes. There doesn't seem to be any art besides the ones on the covers (just a note, don't feel like there is art missing).
No index, but in 24 pages that's acceptable.
(5/X)
The book starts with an introduction to the concept of soulmates, and the idea of an "angelical" and "diabolical" ideal. Not being an expert (academically or through self-experience) in this subject, I can't analyse it, but it is interestingly written, ...

(6/X)
...and does the job of introducing the reader to a core part of the game.

After that part, we get to the actual concept of this RPG: two players play out the ambiguous relation between a millionaire and a soulmate identified by data technology.

(7/X)
The game is structured in 3 phases that are described shortly, which are basically chargen+intro scene, core bulk of scenes, and final scene+outcome. It hasn't been clearly stated, but it seems players will only need a d6 each, besides the book and stuff to make notes.

(8/X)
(My phone is running out of battery, will continue once it gets to charge for a bit)
(I'm back)

ahahaha, there's even a table that you can roll on if the millionaire's player wants to know from where its money came from. I won't spoiler it, but it is funny, (true), and such a very Stolze-thing to write.

(9/X)
Now we get into each part in length. "Meet Cute" starts with some good advice on safety while playing, which seems essential in a game of this nature.
Character creation is of completely collaborative nature, since there's a set of 6 questions regarding each character...

(10/X)
and each player gets to answer 3 of each PC. They must also decide who's going to play the millionaire.
hmm... there's a clause that if you object to an answer regarding your character, you can ask the other player to re-think it, that's good.

(11/X)
(I must note that the text's wording takes into consideration the possibility of queer characters. This should be by now an obvious thing to do, but unfortunately there are still many games out there that don't do it. So I'm happy this one does.)

(12/X)
Looking through the chargen questions, they seem pretty interesting. They all look like stuff that can come up in a fascinating matter, but I also think that it shouldn't be too hard to replace questions by ones of your creation, if you want to do it.

(13/X)
There's a first scene in a place chosen by the millionaire's player, where both characters first meet.

AND HELL YES! There's a complete actual play example of the whole phase! I love when games have these. I hope this means there will be examples for the other phases too.
(14/X)
Onto the next phase, "Several Dates". It's not immediately obvious, but the text seems to suggest this is composed of 3 different dates, played in a progressive order. Oh, this seems cool! Each player rolls a d6 at the start of a date, ...

(15/X)
and the result corresponds to a question answered in the previous phase. Both questions (and the respective answers) will then influence that specific date, with one of them being the problem and the other the solution. I like this idea of guidance to play out the scenes.

(16/X)
The date will be acted with this in mind, and there's a reminder to do so in an ambiguous way that leaves open if the relation is shaping out to be positive/negative. It seems like the players should keep a running total of all rolls, and no question should come up twice.
(17/X)
Ah yes, and here it is, another game play example, thank you Greg! There's not much of the book left, and now it goes onto the last phase, "The Scene at the Boathouse" where players compare their running totals. Who has it higher will decide later if the PCs stay together.
(18/X)
They'll also each roll another d6, and sum up both dice. If the total is odd, the relationship was always negative, and the opposite if the total is even. Now I understand why keeping it ambiguous was important, because this may change everything.

(19/X)
Then, this final scene will be played out (at a boathouse, for some reason) taking in consideration those 2 aspects (the relation is healthy/unhealthy, and they remain together/split up). With another good game example that suggests both a positive and a negative outcome.

(20/X)
And damn, the negative outcome exemplified is quite dark. This goes as a warning that the game is open to a wide range of outcomes, so better make sure to use the written safety measures.
The book ends with random tables for possible dates and complications, quite useful.
(21/X)
Some thoughts I had: the game's concept is quite interesting, but it surely isn't for everyone, won't be very easy to find possible players.
I really like the idea of randomly bringing up the chargen answers as guidance for playing out scenes.

(22/X)
Outside of that, the mechanics seem mostly to get out of the way, so I guess the ease of creation and playing out the dates will depend on how much the players communicate in the character creation.
Playing things out ambiguously is an interesting and different challenge.

(23/X)
And that would be it, I've flipped through the complete book and expressed some of my thoughts on it. It's a pretty solid game, quick to read/explain, and all the game play examples are invaluable.

(24/24)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dimitri, Dr. Givaca

Dimitri, Dr. Givaca Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DGivaca

Mar 2, 2023
Comfy late night, with a tea at hand and a new zine to read.
Hop on board people, it's time for another #aGivacaReadsRPGs thread, where I live tweet my impressions on ⭐A Complicated Profession⭐ Image
Before opening its pages, let's get the context out of the way:
A Complicated Profession is a light-hearted, one-shot, GM-less game by @alwayscheckers where everyone plays the role of ex-bounty hunters that are now hosting intergalactic cruises.
alwayscheckers.itch.io/a-complicated-…
I've played this before (shortly more than a year ago) once, but without reading the game. This time, an indie ttrpg book club I'm part of will dedicate March to this RPG, with pre-discussion, play and post-discussion. Thus, it's time to read the zine I just got!
3/X
Read 39 tweets
Oct 5, 2022
This month I'm putting Everway aside for a while, so that I can focus on The Royal Cartographer for my #aGivacaReadsRPGs. Seems like I'll get to play it at Rolisboa this month, so it's time to give it a thorough look. The Royal Cartographer, wit...
What is The Royal Cartographer? It's a worldbuilding and mapmaking game by @Listener13, GM-less or solo, where players represent different cultures that upon the arrival of the Royal Cartographer, need to struggle to be represented in the official map.
albi13.itch.io/the-royal-cart…
Point 1: I can't stress enough how neat the envelope it came in is. I could probably (and I actually really did) spend several minutes just closing it with the rope, and opening it again.

3/x The backside of the red env...The front side of the red e...
Read 36 tweets
Aug 11, 2022
It's a sunny day, I have some free time, and several new RPGs to be read.
Sounds like #aGivacaReadsRPGs time.

The Shadow of Yesterday it shall be.

🧵 The Shadow of Yesterday book
Happy to see Fritz Leiber mentioned as one of the influences. I really like his stories, and he isn't mentioned as often as he should.

Also, really interesting to see a game that states exactly which previous RPGs inspired which mechanics.

2/x
I like how the 3 Pools of this game are refreshed only by fictional triggers and not by mechanical triggers that have no necessary tie with the fiction.
Having one purely reactive ability for each of these Pools also seems like a neat idea.

And now I'll be gone for lunch.

3/x
Read 41 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(