Starfleet Design 🖍🖖 Profile picture
Mar 20, 2022 5 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Something I've been working on for a little while – a ‘missing page’ from the classic Franz Joseph technical manual detailing the new TOS-era Stargazer made for #StarTrekPicard by @BuckAdmiral Looking like a page from the 1975 Franz Joseph Star Fleet TeAnother Stargazer blueprint, in white lines on blue paper, sA printout of my Stargazer page photographed alongside Josep
One deficiency of my page is that the font I used wasn't a great match to the original Joseph drawings. Thanks to @DewlineO for pointing out this font based on the exact stencil used! It has some kerning issues but is still a huge improvement.
dafont.com/schnaubelt.fon…
Thanks to @MikeJF for pointing out the really nice Routed Gothic typeface! See, this is why I don't bother to do any research myself 😅
webonastick.com/fonts/routed-g…
While a much nicer font, Routed Gothic is at first glance not as suitable as Schnaubelt. However neither are a perfect match when you start to look closer.
If I want to get REALLY obsessive however, I can bolden RG up slightly with a grungy outline to simulate ink bleed… 😶
It’s been interesting looking through old architecture/draughtsmanship books for retro tech manual inspiration. I’m itching to get myself a drawing board now, tho I know it’ll never see any real use. 😅

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Starfleet Design 🖍🖖

Starfleet Design 🖍🖖 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @StarfleetDesign

Jul 4
IMO, the best Star Trek uniforms are the simple ones. No need to overdo things. Image
My personal favourite uniforms might be the standard ones from Beyond. And you might assume that I hate the field jacket as it features so many of the design tropes I parodied in my picture, but oddly enough I quite like it! I contain multitudes. 😅
How do you know if someone is a monster maroon fan?
Don't worry, they'll tell you.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 3
Happy belated 25th Anniversary to #StarTrek

1991 gave us The Undiscovered Country and TNG seasons 4 and 5. What a great vintage.
Vector recreation of the Star Trek 25th Anniversary logo used on all kinds of merch in 1991, on a light grey backdrop.
Vector recreation of the Star Trek 25th Anniversary logo used on all kinds of merch in 1991, on a dark backdrop.
Those are my vector recreations of the 1991 logo. I also made this trading card packaging version. #AffinityDesigner

Here's some of the ref material I used. I also tracked down the bevelled font likely used for the '25th Anniversary' text.

Vector recreation of the Star Trek 25th Anniversary logo used on all kinds of merch in 1991. This was how it appeared on plastic wrap for the trading cards.
Assorted reference materials; photos of VHS box art, computer game packaging, magazine covers etc.
The font used for the '25th Anniversary' text was likely a combination of MARK 1 and MARK 2, tho I couldn't find good images of those, nor a digital version. Instead I used BAGUET DISPLAY CAPS, which was a facsimile of MARK 3 and so still needed some modifications to work.
Notice how the 25th anniversary logo has completely different colours in each of these photos? I never was confident my palette was in any way accurate because it's different in every pic I found. More blue? More bronze? Beats me! 😅
Read 4 tweets
Apr 13
A thread of #SaveLowerDecks avatars for anyone who wants to use them. Starting with the main cast.

The senior staff #SaveLowerDecks

Some guest stars #SaveLowerDecks

Read 15 tweets
May 25, 2023
I adjusted the Lower Decks SNW uniforms to better match the proportions of the originals. ImageImage
More images for comparison, including a typical cosplay example. The SNW version looks good, I just think a closer match could have been better still. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
I’m going to preemptively restrict replies on this one because I can already hear the boring nagging.
Read 5 tweets
May 8, 2023
WEIRD STARFLEET SHIPS, a thread. 🧵

These are mostly fan designs, but a few canon ones might creep in too. Feel free to share your own space oddities in the replies… [1/?] Credits: Paul Jouard, Atolm...
Starting with probably my personal favourite, Atolm's Chariot-class. [Image 2 model and render by Alexander Klemm] ImageImageImageImage
Honestly this could be a whole thread of just Atolm ships, but fortunately he maintains a DeviantArt page where you can scroll through LITERALLY thousands of them! (Plus more from other franchises.)
deviantart.com/atolmazel/gall… ImageImageImageImage
Read 30 tweets
Feb 25, 2023
I've been compiling some notes on #StarTrek fonts with an eye to maybe putting together a definitive list on a webpage or something. IDK.

Then I thought, in the meantime why not make it into a thread? So that's the fascinating backstory to this thread! 🧵 [001/???]
The classic STAR TREK lettering was designed by the legendary Richard Edlund and was later digitised by Bitstream for a Star Trek font pack released in 1992. Originally the font was simply titled ‘Star Trek’, it has since been renamed to HORIZON. Above: The original STAR TREK (1966) opening title. Below: OThere are some notable differences between Bitstream's Horiz
REFERENCES: This 2016 Yves Peters article is an essential read on the history of Trek fonts up to DIS S1. I won’t repeat a lot of what is covered there. Also, for this thread I’m only concerning myself with main typefaces.
fontshop.com/content/the-ty…
Read 29 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(