Jessica Hasson, PhD Profile picture
Mar 23, 2022 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Can we talk about the mental health needs of the student body @MCPS?

The students will be asking for help today at the @mocoboe meeting. They’ve been asking for awhile. Why aren’t we listening?

Here’s a few points:
1. Services need to be accessible. Image
Mental health needs to be a priority and students need a safe space to process emotions Image
Students need to know what resources there are for mental health (better communication) Image
Invest in sports for mental health.
@officiallyali is all about this Image
And finally, multiple @MCPS students and graduates have experienced tragic deaths this year, including via homicide, suicide, and overdose. The latter are what psychologists often refer to as “deaths of despair”

We need to be proactive, not reactive. Image
We need to do better. You don’t need to be a trained psychologist to help a student. Be real, be genuine, and develop that relationship. Connections matter

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jessica Hasson, PhD

Jessica Hasson, PhD Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrHasson2

Apr 13, 2023
It’s time to talk about the feedback @MCPS received about the @TheLeaderinMe, which is the current (very expensive) SEL program for the district. Data is from here 🧵 ww2.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/sh…
First, it’s probably useful to talk about what the @TheLeaderinMe is. It is a SEL program based on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This book, originally published in 1989, is a self help book designed to help people succeed. That’s right, it’s pop psychology.
I have a lot of concerns about the program, including that it frankly puts the most important “habit” last (Sharpen the Saw- this is the one about the importance of a work life balance). But that’s not the point of this thread. This thread focuses on the feedback @MCPS received.
Read 26 tweets
Mar 12, 2023
We have hit the three year mark since @MontgomeryCoMD started pandemic restrictions on March 12, 2020. Here’s a few notable events in Montgomery county during the pandemic restrictions
Let’s start with sports. Private gyms were able to open in June 2020. But many youth sports remained closed. Some outdoor sports were permitted to run with restrictions.
Starting on December 15, 2020 there was a limit on how many people could be at an outdoor game (25) This meant that parents could not watch their child play. We sent one parent to the field to livestream the game to the other parents. Players had to wear masks outdoors.
Read 21 tweets
Mar 11, 2023
So I have fallen down the rabbit hole of the privacy policies of online mental after looking into @betterhelp and seeing that @hazelhealthinc “assumes” consumers consent to collecting and sharing information.

I started looking into @LyraHealth. And it looks good. 🧵
Lyra is an online mental health platform. I know a few Lyra providers and they enjoy working with Lyra and feel their clients’ information is well protected.

I took a look at their privacy policies and I’m impressed.
First, they specific that “advertising technologies” (trackers, etc) are not used on the sites where clients are searching for and receiving care.

This is important. They are not using private mental health information to target ads.
Read 9 tweets
Mar 10, 2023
Content warning: stillbirth

I was pregnant at the beginning of March 2015. Image
On March 8, 2015, I called my OB because I hadn’t felt our second son, move in awhile. He was normally active so this was a change. My OB was calm but direct, telling me that there is a chance there may be an issue and we may need to deliver our son that day.
He was far enough along to be considered viable but would be very premature, so I was sent to a hospital with a high level NICU.

The ultrasound confirmed my worst fears. Our second son no longer had a heartbeat. He had passed. I screamed, because that’s all I could think to do.
Read 7 tweets
Feb 12, 2023
We need to talk about why children were more impacted by the pandemic and its response than adults have been. It’s been getting more noticeable as we are shifting back to 2019 norms.

This is a bit of a repost for me, with updates. I posted something similar about 3 months ago 🧵
We are nearing the 3 year anniversary of the March 2020 lockdowns. We have been living with Covid for more than 3 years.
For kids, this has been the majority of their lives. For a 9 year old, Covid has been present for 1/3 of their life. Many don’t remember a time before Covid.

My 6 year old doesn’t remember a time before Covid.
Read 24 tweets
Feb 12, 2023
Let’s talk about why youth sports are so important.

🧵
This infographic explains it well.
Kids who play sports have
Lower stress
Less anxiety/depression
Are less likely to use drugs
Are less likely to attempt suicide
Have higher self esteem

Data from health.gov/sites/default/…
There are obvious physical benefits as well.
Improved fitness
Reduced risk of diabetes
Better bone health
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(